MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-16-2001, 11:44 AM   #1
84stangLX

Post 1st worthwhile race in a LONG time

This is my first race post on this board and the first time i've raced anything worthwhile while being a member on this board, so here it goes:
Today i was on my way to my new job (about an hour ago) to fill out final paper work and I was starting to turn on to a two lane road that ended probably a few hundred feet later (not sure on distance, but it's a pretty long merge lane). As i'm turning i spot a new style mustang with the "edge" styling so i'm thinking he may want to challange me (especially since he looked no older than 18 years old). Right as i'm turning I look over and smile and he looks over as well. We gun it at about the same time (i had just finished turning on to the road) i hit the sweet spot in 2nd gear perfectly and (when he gunned it he revved instantly so i assume it was an auto) we're dead even starting off I run it to a little over 50 and shift to 3rd, we're still dead even, but i have about a foot on him at about 70 and i slow down as the lane ends and i didn't want to cut him off. I was all psyched and then i thought, man that car wasn't very loud, cause i couldn't hear the exhaust only the engine winding, so i thought it coulda been a V6, but when i saw the dual pipes coming out the back i was psyched again and it also looked like it had factory 17" wheels. How much do the new mustangs weigh? how fast in the 1/4 mile (auto)? I didn't even think my car could hang with the brand new mustangs, so i'm pretty happy. I have a digital speedometer that measures 1/4 mile time (and lots of other crazy sh/t) that i'll have to install and see how fast (or slow) i actually am, and when i get the $$$ (I need to get a paycheck first) i'll go to Seattle International Raceway to be sure. After we ran the kid was driving like an ****** so i hope he doesn't ruin that beautiful car.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* t-stat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, FMS smog pump idler

[This message has been edited by 84stangLX (edited 04-16-2001).]
Old 04-16-2001, 08:05 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Proud of ya 84stangLX.

When you say "new style" do you mean '99 and up or pre-'99? For '99 and up auto GTs, I'd say high 14s to very low 15s in the 1/4.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
84stangLX

I don't know what year they changed or upgraded the engine, but i know that it had the squarish headlamps with the black accents around it, the blocky side scoops, and the vertical, blocky rear tail lights. It wasn't a SN95 (or whatever they call it mustang), it was the new style that's currently in production.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* t-stat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, FMS smog pump idler
Old 04-17-2001, 06:48 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Yeah that's '99 to present.

Get that 1/4 mile time.

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 04-17-2001, 07:38 PM   #5
fastang
Registered Member

An auto 99-01 4.6 GT can easily hit mid 14's. The sticks typicaly run 14.40's

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 09:39 PM   #6
84stangLX

that's good to hear....hopefully my numbers will match . I'm almost done installing my digital speedo, and i should get a paycheck in the next 1 to 2 weeks, so i can verify at the track. Thanks for the info guys!

------------------
Old 04-18-2001, 08:17 PM   #7
84stangLX

Well, i sorta got good news and bad news. the good news is that i got a 6.4 sec 0-60 on my speedo, but on numerous tries i couldn't get to the 1/4 mile because my fuel pump is starting to fail (one thing after another). I compared that to a car and driver article about the Honda S2000 and my car is .4 seconds faster 0-60 (very general comparison - numbers are sorta comparable). The S2000 does the 1/4 in 15.1 sec so i figure high 14's for my car (stock is mid 15's for my year car) and when i'm not sputtering to 60 i figure it'll be faster (I would actually DIE at about 65 because the fuel bowl would run dry), i also need to get money for a Air fuel ratio gauge so i can change my jets (plugs are glazed) and my cap and rotor are causing a misfire... , oh well when i get those fixed i should be happy.

------------------
Old 04-18-2001, 11:42 PM   #8
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I know this is an argument that has been going on for the past year but come on...

fastang, fox body... low 15s??? A GT stick 14.4???? Even Motortrend with there slow times say 14.0@100.2 ... My girlfriend driving my car for the second time ever hit 14.4 on her first time at the track with my stock (head light in) 2000GT. One guy at the track (Napierville) had a green carbon copy of my car (pissss offf!) except he was auto and ran 14.3.

Fox BodyA freaking V6 99+ stick will hit low 15s... Let's not compare a V8 auto to that please!

84stangLX where in all hell does it say the S2000 does 15.1???? PLEASE SHOOT THAT DRIVER, he does not deserve to drive more than a Geo Metro.

Again, a buddy of mine that came out to almost every track time had an S2000. We had a huge rivalery for my sticker (Rice Burner) to come off. See, they will only come off when a stock import beats me at the track. He was running 14.0 all season, and on the last day Luskville Dragstrip ran a 13.72. It's good I managed my 13.69 on that day. BTW, Motortrend's got the S2000 down at 14.2@98MPH with a 0-60 of 5.8.

Geeezzzz ... I may need to learn more about the 5.0, but don't quote ridiculous shiiit like that.

Don't believe me??? Check it out;
http://www.motortrend.com/nov99/hond...das2000_f.html
http://www.motortrend.com/dec99/must...stanggt_f.html

------------------
Lizard King, Bone Stock; 13.69 at 101MPH
Extreme Burnout
2000GT VS LS1
Quartermile run
2000GT vs LX Stang

Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 05:26 PM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

I knew there would be some controversy on that statement I made (especially from one particular individual ).

Alright, how's this. 14.4-14.8 for auto GT (hardtop) and 14.2-14.5 for manual GT (hardtop). Better? I try to be careful and not underestimate cars, but from experience (yet not the broadest experience in the world, I admit) on the road and at the track, I'm gonna have to stick with those numbers. Will there be any GTs that run faster than the times listed above?, sure, how bout slower? why not.

I don't know, maybe all the '99 up GTs around here are not up to par. Lizard King, I take your word on a 13.6 in your car, but just b/c you run those times doesn't mean every manual GT can match those #s.

Now, Motortrend. Do you seriously think the drivers/crew of the Motortrend bunch just jump in a GT, run it once and then say, "Hey, we got 14.0 for the GT stang." No way, it takes some refining of driving each run, nice and clean track on a sunny day with nice weather, and some tuning of the car to see what it can make a BEST run of, ie. tweaking it to get the best out of the motor.

Suppose them guys ran your GT LK at the track and reported that 99 up GTs run 13.6s. Yeah, they all run mid 13s . Or suppose they ran some other manual 99 up GT and the best they could get out of it after trying everything they could was a 14.8. What then, do all those GTs run 14.8s? Nope. But I'd say there is a high density # of mid (14.4-14.7) 14 second GTs out there-- higher than the # of low 14 sec GTs.

A friend of mine bought a Convertible auto 2001 GT (gag) and wants to run me. YEah, the worst combo for a GT, but let's see how it goes. What do you say a 2001 auto vert GT will run in the 1/4 LK?

I would love to run a 99 up GT that can run better than 14.3 (auto or stick) in the 1/4 (I'M NOT SAYING THAT THERE ARE NO GTs THAT RUN LOWER THAN 14.3, I would just love to run one so my faith in them can increase).

Okay. I will take back my statement about low 15s--sorry. I should say that with a good driver, 99% of all 99 up GTs should be in the 14s.

--friendly debate

Old 04-19-2001, 11:42 PM   #10
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Fox Body. I'll take your views as they are but I don't agree. I hope you meet some more stock 99+ at the track, and please note there times. Motortrend, from all my experiences at the track with other vehicles have been right on the money for "average" runs. And there is always room to better these times.

By what your saying, if there is a variance between 14.4 to 14.7 that means the new Mustang will vary in HP about 18HP on the analyser here. If we take 13.69 to 14.4... there is a variance of 40HP in these cars.

I know the driver has a bearing on these times, but I also know that such variances in production of vehicles are not allowed. Just look at the 99 Cobras recalls. Or better yet look at the new Miata. They have 15HP less than what is advertsed, so they have given the option to all buyers to either get there money back for those cars, or get some cash back (i think it was $1000US).

You are being, in my opinion, way to loose on your calculations. If Motortrend says 14.0, and I say the stock car can run with headlight in a best of 13.8, I don't think it is fair to quote the car at ~14.5. In .5 seconds I have the time screw up a shift and still be in your quoted times.

In fact I'll challenge you to find a manual coupe that runs at least a 14.4 (at reasonable alltitude) on this board or other boards). Please let me know if you find written proof of this.

Thanks, ... the debate continues.

------------------
Lizard King, Bone Stock; 13.69 at 101MPH
Extreme Burnout
2000GT VS LS1
Quartermile run
2000GT vs LX Stang

Old 04-20-2001, 01:45 AM   #11
84stangLX

Hey lizard:
here's my source for that comparison:
Car and driver magazine
august 1999, page 76
0 - 60: 6.8 seconds
author: Larry Webster
1/4 mile: 15.1@96 mph
who knows, maybe they can't drive. I don't know. I didn't really care much about the car as comparing the numbers (which i know don't mean diddly **** , but like i said it was a general comparison) I don't claim to know anything about drag racing or 1/4 mile numbers, i was just using this to gauge my possible 1/4 mile time since my car can't make it past 65 without dying now (which will soon be fixed, and started -ironically- the day that i try to see generally what my rough times are). I will go to seattle international Raceway and i will know for sure. I was just speculating. Car and Driver is a well know magazine, and i didn't doubt their driving, nor did i care. I just used the #'s. An S2000 would probably cream me. I don't know...i've never raced one.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:05 PM   #12
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Car and Driver are the worst possible people to quote for acceleration times.

I don't know what they do, wait for rpms to come down in between shifts, go easy on the launch, but every single time they have is way off.
Old 04-20-2001, 04:47 PM   #13
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The S2000 is actually not a good choice to compare your car to, because the way it runs is about as opposite as you can get from you V8 with low end torque. The S2000 has no low end whatsoever and the clutch must be slipped mercilessly off the line to run a decent 1/4. The 0-60 time for these cars I would expect to be slower than the average 14.0sec 1/4 mile car.

BTW - even with a terrible launch I ran a worst of 14.48 in the 1/4 when my 00GT was stock. I would say 14.0 is pretty average for these cars with a competent driver.

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, strut/shock tower bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports suspension - H&R Race springs, Bilsteins, rear control arms, chassis bracing, Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and 600cfm carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 2chmbr exhaust, Al Driveshaft, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 stall, B&M
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote