MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2002, 01:30 AM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Default a few nitrous beginner questions

Some of you may remember my post about my friend that was putting a nitrous kit on his bone stock 150k slipping AOD stang.
Well we finally convinced him that he knew nothing about it and he realized after the first few sprays that he was actually afraid to use it. So he's gonna get rid of it.

He's actually going to buy a new shortblock soon and eventually have a blower.

Ok so here's where I come into the picture. He offered to give me the complete nitrous kit (nitrous express i believe) with what he was told was $700 worth of stuff, if I would help him install the new shortblock when he gets it.
It was a tough decision, but you know, I'm a good friend and I agreed

I'll probably get it within the next few weeks, and I realized that although I'm not a nitrous idiot, i do need to learn some more about it.

I know I need colder plugs, what would you reccomend?

I know I need to back the timing off, but I wont be going over 100hp jets, so would 10-12degree's btdc be ok?

I'll be buying a RPM switch (if its not in the $700 worth of stuff) just so it will shut the N20 off before the rev limiter if I happen to miss a shift

I plan on starting out with the smallest shot in the kit, and then after i get comfortable with it, then go higher.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys/gals

-Drew
Old 05-14-2002, 02:46 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

Sounds like you have a good handle on things already. Happy spraying
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #3
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

For the timing you should be able to keep it around 9-10 btdc. I wouldn't go anymore than that. For the plugs, I use the hottest plug i can find...and it works very well. I used cold plugs for awhile with my two-stage kit and it fouled them as soon as i started the car. Just my .02

Eric
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 08:29 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

For starters if your going to use ANY nitrous kit, upgrade your fuel pump first to at least a 155 lph. I also highly recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, this will aid you in tuning the car while on the spray. Don't want to start any flames here but you DO NOT want to use hotter plugs, the general rule is 1 step colder for every 100 horsepower of nitrous, I have used Motorcraft ASF32C's with a 150 horse dry kit for 11 years now without 1 fouling. That may work for a 400 cubic inch, Yates heads ($$$$$$$) with giant carburator type engines, but NOT the way to go with SEFI. Like I said no flames intended, but this is fact in the SEFI world. Don't ya just love those high RPM carburated motors though, they sound so good going down the track.

Run 93 Premium gasoline

Put your timing at 10 degrees with the SPOUT connector out, and leave it there. reconnect the SPOUT connector.

I definetly recommend a nitrous gauge and bottle blanket, that way you can see at a glance if you have enough pressure in the bottle to use it, and the blanket will keep it at a consistant temperature and pressure, this is critical in proper performance while on the spray. this is especially true in colder climates, but I use one here in central florida too.

Your thoughts on starting with the smallest shot is spot on, and unless you have traction devices and sticky tires, you probably won't be able to use much more on the street, at least at a stoplight that is. There are other devices, such as progressive nitrous controllers, and the Jacobs Mastermind, but that is down the road stuff for now.

Good luck and happy motoring!!!!

Last edited by gtsr515; 05-14-2002 at 08:37 PM..
gtsr515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
at least a 155 lph. I also highly recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator
got em both, but I'll probably go bigger on the fuel pump some time down the road.
Should I bump the fuel pressure a little as well?

I've got the 93 octain gas covered already too, and I do know the proper way to set the timing

How much improvement at the track do you guys think a 100shot would give? I'd be using slicks (again) so traction wouldnt be an issue there.

thanks for the help
Old 05-14-2002, 10:34 PM   #6
gtsr515
Registered Member

well then your on your way my friend, I would start fuel pressure at 42psi, most kits have something to boost pressure when the soleinoids switch on. Dont be in a hurry to start boosting pressure, its the injector that will supply the fuel, and it's designed to run at 42 or so. Try that.