MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2001, 03:41 PM   #1
Joules-2
Registered Member

Question getting a new ride (newbie)

I'm driving an 85 na 300zx right now and I'm going to be getting a new car in a couple months. I'm thinking of getting the new cobra when it comes out. I want something that has a back seat in case I want to take 4 people along on short trips, but I also need something with serious speed that I can mod.
So, I like the fact that the cobra has so much horsepower, room for 4 if need be (its only the roush that has no back seat correct?) and I really want to go all out and get a vortech supercharger for it (so I can smoke trans ams, vettes and really smoke those annoying rice cars).
So, my question is does anyone have any opinions? Any other cars I should look at that you can fit 4 people in with performance rivaling that of the cobra? Is the backseat even big enough for an adult? Is the stang reliable? And finally, were can I read about mods to build the fastest damn cobra I can?
Sorry for so many questions.
thanks in advance!
Joules-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:21 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The 1996-1998 Cobra's were rated at 305hp and they had solid axles for better reliability under extreame applications.

The 1999 Cobra with the fix should basically be exactly the same as the 2001 Cobra.

A Saleen S351 has some psychotic power levels, you may be able to pick a used one up for around the price of a new Cobra. Now you're talking a 6spd with 495-520hp.

If you were looking to build an outrageously fast Mustang, get a 1996-1998 Cobra, put 3.73's or 4.10's on it and add a decent supercharger. With a decent suspension for launching, exhaust, and drag radials you should be in the 11's. All day, everyday.

If you need to go faster than 11's, which will blast almost all the LS1's you'll meet, probably all the rice you'll ever meet, and well, everything else on the street too, you've got issues.

Still you can if you add some more power to the Cobra. It's one badass engine. Ford doesn't get nearly the amount of credit they should for it. 4.6L DOHC 32v V-8. It runs on 16v until the rpms hit 4000 or 4500, then the valvetrain starts the second set of valves. Cool as hell!

Oh, as far as reliability is concerned, the Mustang is about as good as you can get in a sportscar market. Also, the 4.6DOHC motor went in the Lincoln Mark VIII's, they don't put junk motors in Lincoln's.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 07:43 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

I'd have to agree with unit those new 4.6 DOHC engines are bad I'd love to have one of those in my 67'.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:23 PM   #4
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Dude, if carrying people is that big a priority get an M5.

Seriously though the Cobra/Mustang back seating is not very adequate for adults. Whenever I have haul people in the back seat they are considered cargo.

BTW, Roush Mustangs have a back seat too - like most Mustangs.

------------------
K!
Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown ROUSH without the side exhaust but some other cool stuff
Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq
Still working out the kinks!!!
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:42 AM   #5
Joules-2
Registered Member

Can the 99-00 axle handle ~450 hp? Or will you just end up with a broken axle? I'm just thinking of getting 99-00 because it has an extra 15 horsepower and then having a better axle put on afterwards, but of course this will cost some money. I don't know how much that 15 horsepower is worth to me. I like the idea of getting a 98, since I'm sure I could find one with low mileage and save a bundle, not to mention not having to change the axle. What changes did they make to the engine between 98 and 99 to get an extra 15hp?
Joules-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:23 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

I don't know what differences were really made.

The '99 Cobra got some minor tweaking. The extra 15hp was not reflected in performance. Truth was, SVT goofed, they mismatched part of their new combo and the Cobra was still making 305hp. After owners backlashed, SVT took a look, they recalled the Cobra's and added a "fix", I think it consisted of a new exhaust, and some intake tweaking. Not much, but the 320hp re-appeared. With the fix performance dropped standing quarter mile times from about 14.0 to 13.6. The Cobra also picked up 17lb/ft of torque in ratings from 300-317 from 98-99. Once the fix was applied, the performance gain was notable.

It is however, not worth noting if you mod the two cars. You'll already be adding superior exhaust to your car (I hope) if you supercharge it. Once that is done, the performance difference bettween the two cars is pretty much negated.

I have no idea how strong the rear end on the new ones is.

Post in modular madness, they are the gurus!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote