MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2001, 02:11 AM   #1
dashapht
Registered Member

Post tonight was awesome! cold air and good street racing!

Well tonight was one of the best nights I can remember with my car. Last weekend i got my bog problem fixed with installing a 255lph fuel pump over stock, new fuel filter, fuel PSI change from 35 to 42psi, and timing change to 18 deg base from 16. That got me from running 9.00s to 8.30-8.40 range on regular radials. I got to race two cars that I've really been wanting to see how I do

Anyway, here's now tonight went. I was driving home from the track with my friend and a new champagne or so colored SS passes on the opposite side of the street. I can see he has his windows down so i rev at him and hit my brakes to wait and see if he's goona turn around. Sure enough he does, so we cruise next to each other for a few and im like yelling at him telling him how i like his car. we sit at a stop light and talk for a few. he said it was a 6 spd and that he had not done any mods to it yet. Anyways we are chatting still when the light changes, so we kind of both roll off still talking then i point forward and we both hit it.. well i spin like mad in 1st and 2nd, sideways across the intersection, and am about a car behind him (WHO HOOKED, GRR),s o i back out slightly in 2nd then get back in it with traction, then miss 3rd! of course i feel like an *** but oh well. I catch up and fall in behind him. we are on one of these 5 lane (2 lanes each dir with turning lane). we're in the left lane and there's a car in the right. both of us are doing cruising at about 60 and i put it in 3rd cause there's about a 1/3-1/2 mile of straight right in front of us and I wanted to avenge my lack of traction. I had an itchy foot so when he stomped down i did too, and I was amazed at how quickly i was catching up with him, and I knew he was in it pretty hard because I could smell that smell that you smell when someone is in front of you giving it hell.. he switches lanes.. anyways i close the gap of about 4 cars and gain a 1/2 a car from 60-110 mph when he backed out. im glad he did cause i was about to stock fox brakes SUCK. he got me off the line, but i came back and got him! i still give props to these cars because for stock they are damn fast!

Now the 01 cobra.. I was dropping my friend off at his car and went back to town to get some taco hell. while im sitting at a stoplight with a gas station i hear someone rev their car.. i look at the gas station and there's this old duster sitting primered and with drag looking wheels. obviously it wasnt that guy beacuse he was pumping gas. on the opposite side of the station is a black cobra Conv. i revved back and the guy is just sitting there talking to his friend, doesn't pull out. so i pull in to see whats up (i also wanted to check out a new Cobra up close). it turns out to be a guy I know driving his buddy's new 01 cobra Conv.. i talked to him for a second and asked him if he would run me but he told me no cause it was his friend's car. i can respect that. well i pull out on the road and here he comes! i was like awwwwwwww yea! he comes up and i drop it in 3rd at like 55mph and he's next to me. we both hit it and i pulled like 1/2 a car immediately, then he shifted ( i guess he was at the top of 2nd when we took off), and that dropped him another car, then by 100 i was already in 4th and had 5 cars on him so i let off. we slowed then yelled goodbye over 70mph wind and went out ways for the evening. all in all it was a good night! man, cold air is awesome! I reccomend a TFS'd Fox to anyone, or an SS, or a new cobra.. all 3 seem to be nice n quick toys. just thought i'd share this story since i'm kinda bored at 2 am. enjoy your ride!

------------------
93 Reef Blue Notchback, 74k miles (August 2001), TFS TW Heads, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS Track Heat Intake, 1.6 RR's, 70mm TB, Cold Air ,76mm MAF Meter, 24lb injectors, 255lph in-tank, AFPR, Edelbrock Water Pump, Be Cool Radiator, Mac 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers, 2.5" Pro Chamber, Flowmaster 2 CH 2.5" Cat Back, 3.73 , Alum Driveshaft, Auburn Differential, 17x9 Cobra Rs with Nitto 555s, Tri-Ax Shifter.

Vorteching it next spring

Got to make a pass finally! 8.44 @ 85mph on regular radials. Fina
dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 07:54 AM   #2
exgmguy
Registered Member

Nice runs, From the looks of it you have a 12 second car there if you can stick it to the ground.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
11.8 @ 123 (7/14/01)
11.6 @ 116 with a melted plug! (9/8/01)
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer

See my car at: www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?179

exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Sounds like your car is running great! An S trim will make that thing crazy. What's your suspension setup again?

------------------
'91 LX Hatch, 17 ROH ZR6's, lowered, 3.73's, offroad H pipe, SN Cobra cat-back, ASP pullies, 14° timing, C&L 76mm MAF, 170A 3G, B&M Ripper on a T5
Best ET: 14.593 @ 94.62 2.292 60'
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:57 PM   #4
dashapht
Registered Member

Bone stock with the exception of subframe connectors.

I know I could benefit from drag stuff but I like going around corners too.

I will however be getting a set of Factory Five upper and lower control arms and urethane bushings, bigger sway bars, etc.

------------------
93 Reef Blue Notchback, 74k miles (August 2001), TFS TW Heads, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS Track Heat Intake, 1.6 RR's, 70mm TB, Cold Air ,76mm MAF Meter, 24lb injectors, 255lph in-tank, AFPR, Edelbrock Water Pump, Be Cool Radiator, Mac 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers, 2.5" Pro Chamber, Flowmaster 2 CH 2.5" Cat Back, 3.73 , Alum Driveshaft, Auburn Differential, 17x9 Cobra Rs with Nitto 555s, Tri-Ax Shifter.

Vorteching it next spring

Got to make a pass finally! 8.44 @ 85mph on regular radials. Fina
Old 09-16-2001, 01:50 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Was that SS an LS1? Sounds like the TrickFlow stuff worked well for you. Did you do anything to the heads (clean up, etc.)? Great runs BTW.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 06:04 PM   #6
dashapht
Registered Member

Thanks!

Yea it was an LS1. I don't know which year it was as far as 98-01 but it had that front end on it, the wheels, etc. Didn't have the ZR1 wheels but the other wheels that are on SS'.

I didnt do any port work on anything.. i don't think i will until I actually build another engine.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:39 PM   #7
rbatson

Thumbs up

Cool! I did alittle damage today myself . Older guy in a 96 or so vette on the highway was trying to do a flyby?? Couldn't believe it. Also a Z28(ls1) who thought he would have no problem and was snobbish, until I lightly stabbed the throttle.. That was his cue to school me.. WRONG! Man was he p!ssed!

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold