MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-14-2001, 01:29 AM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Question Basic gauge questions. (kinda long)

I'm looking at putting in several gauges, but I don't want them obvious, trying to keep it low profile. The only fuel pressure gauge I've seen that you can mount inside your car instead of on the cowl or in the engine compartment is an electric kit that's three times the price. I want my gauges (fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, maybe a Tach and one or two more?) inside the car, like in the vent cage and/or a custom setup beneath the radio. My questions are:
1. Do I need to use electric Gauges for this setup?
2. What's the difference between electric and mechanical gauges from an accuracy and ease of installation standpoint?
Thanks in advance for any info guys....

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:40 AM   #2
ed1371
Registered Member

you have to use an electric fuel pressure gauge if it isgoing to be inside the car...rhe others can be mech. it isnt a matter of accuracy..it is safty. (although one would assume the elecs would be more accurate)

------------------
My Mustang

91 LX Conv. 52,000 orig mi. Hurst shifter, 3.55 grs, NOS 150 dry kit, MSD 6al, MSD timing control, malory coil, pullies, fms adj fuel reg, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm maf, battery in trunk, JBA shorties, JBA subs, JBA strut tower brc, dynomax "super turbo" 2 1/2 exhaust, FMS billit distrib, Hotchkis lower cntrl arms, MAC Fenderwell cold air kit, off road h pipe.
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:55 AM   #3
WADS56
gear banger

Electric is also allot easer to run then mechanical. I have a full Autometer dash and run all electric except the water temp and boost gauge. I thought that the mechanical were supposed to be more accurate, but the electric from Autometer is real good.

------------------
Blown 347 W/Canfield heads, solid roller cam, track times this spring mid 10's or bust

93lx 5.0 daily driver
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 08:29 AM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

The accuracy between the Mech and Elec are identical according to Autometer. I like having my Mech Oil and Water gauges for the track I will always no my current water temp even while the car is sitting in the pits. Get the electric Fuel Pressure gauge it is the only way to go and is NHRA legal. You could get the A-Pillar mount and get the FP, A/F or something else in the 2-1/16", and then just mount the tach in the dash pod with two 2-5/8" gauges, H20 and Oil. The tach needs to be somewhere easy to see. Why do you want to hide the gauges?

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 12:38 PM   #5
DemonGT
Registered Member

is the oil gauge that stock in the dash oil temp or preshure?? presure isnt it?

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
MiracleMax
Registered Member

You can run an autometer mechanical fuel pressure gauge with the correct isolator (let me run out to the project car for the part #)inside the car. The correct isolator from autometer is part number 5282 for use with a 100 psi fuel pressure gauge.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:39 PM   #7
chris91LX
Registered Member

I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible, stock hood and pony rims included. I just think that having gauges sticking out of the hood or lined up on the A pillar is a little obvious. I'd like to have the info at my fingertips but I don't want to advertise. I'm hoping to figure out a way to stick a tach in the dash either in front of the stock one or get a small one I can put in the corner of the dash mostly out of sight. I'm just looking for the best setup I can find. If electric is easier then maybe I should go with that.
Are electric gauges easy to hook up in the engine compartment?
This may be a stupid question, but I understand how a mechanical gauge works, how does an electrical gauge get it's information?
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:42 AM   #8
Chris_H
Registered Member

Chris,
I have the Autometer Electric Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges in an A pillar on my car. The one wire will run from teh gauge to the oil pressure sending unit just like the factory one does and it comes with its own sending unit. Same with the water temp. You run one wire from the gauge to the sending unit on the lower intake. You'll also need to run a "power" wire to a 12v source so that the gauge has power. I just tapped mine into a wire in the fuse box, and hooked the lighting into my dash lights. Nothing to it.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote