MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   got beat my a shelby, and loved it (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=25606)

chump188 06-29-2002 12:10 AM

got beat my a shelby, and loved it

I was pulling out of a local shopping center today when this sweet Shelby cobra replica passed by. The middle-aged driver saw me and smiled like he knew what I was thinking. I quickly pulled out behind him. It happened he was turning right at the next light just as I was. When I made the turn I dropped it down and took off. I started closing in on him, as he was still just cruising along. When he felt I had gotten close enough, he got on it and started walking away from me like I was standing still. I tried to keep up but that thing was fast, when we got going a bit to quick I started to back off. He was turning left at the next light and when I passed him I gave him a thumbs up and he waved. Cool driver, cooler car. The best part was that my girlfriend was with me and she hates when I race, but she didn't care that I raced the Cobra.

1BAD89 06-30-2002 12:07 AM

I'll have a cobra replica some day. I've been researching them for a while, at a little over 2000lbs, even a mild combo would be fast. Factoryfive claims with a stock 5.0 (225hp) motor, the replica will run a 13.6. :)

explicitone 07-02-2002 05:05 PM

NICE:D to see one in person is sweet to get to race one is even better..

07-03-2002 07:44 PM

if they will run 13.6 with a stock 5L i can only dream what they'd run with a blown 393? Thats scary fast, dose anyone know how they handle? iv heard its extreamly well

Steven

1969Mach1 07-05-2002 11:58 AM

That is absolutely sweet! If I ever marry the girl I'm dating right now I would buy her that for our wedding. Cause there is a front end of a Shelby Cobra at the mall, and I always ask her what kind of car, who makes it and what engine did it come with. I ask her everytime, she gets it sometimes. lol She isn't much into cars, but she is getting there. I got the same deal, she hates when I go fast. :rolleyes:

Take Care,
§am.

GodStang 07-05-2002 12:56 PM

Guys guys guys, If you are going to do it do it right. Put a 426-429 in it. My dads buddy has one with a 428 in it. It screams. Handeling is supposed to be outstanding.

fastang 07-06-2002 01:47 PM

The handling is great if your running a 289/302 block. But the heavier motors really throw the weight balance off. The 351 W are about middle ground and can always be stroked.

My best friend is a mechanic for the House of Cobras in Anaheim CA. They go to the track and race them twice a year. The most common motor they install in the Cobra kit is the 417 stroker.

I actualy had the pleasure of sitting shotgun in a real 427 side oiler (the oil pan is on the side of the block, not the bottom) The original motor they came with back in the 60's, it was totaly rebuilt with a fat cam and intake....supposedly 600 hp. It was the fastest/scariest thing Ive ever experienced.

On the freeway in 4th gear about 60 mph you had to roll into the throttle or you might end up sideways. Flelt like being sucked into a vortex or something.

Rev 07-06-2002 02:00 PM

I was actually lucky enough to drive a real one (1966) back around 1970. It belonged to my brother-in-law and he let me take it out for a little while one Christmas morning at a family gathering. it was a K code 289, and although I didn't really wring it out, I could tell it was plenty quick and handled well.

Rev

Mach351C 07-06-2002 09:09 PM

I dont know if this has anything to do with this thread but, my dad has been thinking about buying a 1968 mustang from a buddy across the street. The outside and inside are gt500 replica look. It looks great. It only has a 289 but my question is, can you get a lot of power out of the 289?

MattwantsSpeed 07-06-2002 11:31 PM

yes, 1BAD89 you are right about the 13.6 claim from Factory Five here in Mass, it may even be closer to a 13.2. My dad is building a garage so he can have a place to build his Cobra replica when he decides to buy the kit. The Factory Five unit uses a Fox Body donor car.....engine and drivetrain mostly. I met a guy the other day though that bought his 35,000 dollar kit from Everett-Morris in Tampa. It is a tubular frame and he used a Corvette rear end a Chevy ZZ-something crate engines. I can't wait to help my dad build his!!

1BAD89 07-06-2002 11:35 PM

500fwhp will you get 10's easy, I think it was more like 488fwhp on the site. Yeah when I start building mine, I'm going TKO II+514(or maybe a 400hp 306).

RPM427 07-09-2002 09:09 AM

The engine is set back so far that the handling is still very good. Although I'd rather have a 351/396/408 that makes as much power as a 460.

MidNiteBlu 5.0 07-10-2002 01:50 PM

A guy in The Mustang Club here used to have one. It was a 427 4 spd. i think he dynoed it at over 400 at the rear wheels but im not sure it may have been even more :eek: I got to rid in it after he dynoed it down the street and omg! This was before i had my stang and before i really knew much about cars but geez. I couldnt see the gauges but ill bet he got it past 100. he sold it for like 40k just recently.

Later,
Nick