View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 05:25 PM   #36
srv1
Get down.....

Thumbs down

Quote:
So you asking why he would replace his head bolts, with head studs and not install a forged bottom end? Oh I dunno, maybe because studs are only a few bucks more than bolts and yanking the motor and installing a forged bottom end would cost thousands. It's kinda like having a 500hp 5.0 on the stock block. You know it's gonna go eventully, but you don't have 1300 for a Dart block. Same thing. Doesn't mean he's a moron when it comes to cars
Ok Josh. I think you just answered your own question. Why dont you put head studs in your stock block, throw a turbo in it, run it to say 15lbs of boost, and leave the bottom end totally stock. Now would that make any sense? Nope. You know the bottom end cant handle it, so why would you put studs in it then? Because your SAE(ASE just to correct you) mechanic didnt know how to build the motor or know enough that stock USA bottom end Mitsu's cant handle that much power. If he wanted to do it right, there would be a JDM block under that hood which can take that boost level. Evidentally he has his "collection" and his nice "head studs" to show for it.

Everybody makes mistakes, but to show your stupidity over the net is asking for it. Its one thing if he posted about it, but the kid tried to show off and made himself look like an ***. If he knew anything, he wouldnt be racing that Bimmer in the first place. Why would you have to use a 2 step(It didnt sound like one to me)on the street with AWD against a BMW? The kid was being a kid and deserved to get his balls busted.

Oh by the way, 20lbs is cocky, but at least he has something to back it up with. Your Stang cant Hang with that Buick V6.

Quote:
These cars are very fast for very little money, on the flip side, stock internals can only take that much boost for so long, I've seen plenty DSMs crank walk and this sounds like another story of trying to get too much power without taking the necessary precautions.
Thank you. That is all I was trying to say.

James