MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Got smoked by a 2000 Eclipse (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=20140)

silverv6 03-01-2002 03:37 PM

Got smoked by a 2000 Eclipse

2 days ago I was goin to the beach on 76 wen I see far in front a Eclipse with a bigg exaust:p so I pull next to him I thouth I could keep nexrt to him cus only one other time ive keep next to a eclipse once . Well wen I pull next to him he punches it and you could hear that anoying sound but wen he shifted I heard the turbo he had blow off valves. he passed me about 5 cars haead and he changed lanes and he sticked his arm out and was signaling me from far away to pull next to him so I did and wen I got next to him he punched it again so we got to a stop light and he was reving his car up and I lowered my window down and I was asking him how much HP he had but he ignored me:mad: tipical rice so wen the light turned green we took off and I coulnt catch him .. the only thing was that every time he shifted this strange burning smell came out.

Some one told me it was the clutch that maybe the guy dint know how to drive stick.

2"drop
18"spoked rims with lowprofile tires
true dual exaust two 2chamber flowmasters
GT fog lights
euro tail lights

StoplightWarrior 03-01-2002 03:56 PM

With your car, you shouldnt be messing with a turbo anything. :p

Seriously though, you could take the non turbo, pre 99 eclipses pretty easily. Get some underdrive pulleys and a cold air kit on there and you should be at about 210hp. That's pretty decent if you ask me.

BTW, a friend of mine has a 99 v6 5speed. He had it dynoed right off the showroom floor. Then he installed Mac's cold air kit, dynoed it again, and he picked up 8hp! That's a big gain from a part so cheap and easy to do. Good luck!

blue00gt 03-01-2002 04:53 PM

If it was a new Eclipse, they didn't come stock with turbos so I wouldn't be too ashamed about getting beat. I have raced a brand new stock Eclipse with a manual and they are slow as hell compared to a V8 stang - not even really a race. As far as I can tell the pre-99 turbo 4s are faster than the new V6s in stock form.

gsxkilla 03-02-2002 06:54 PM

ok first of all anyone that owns a v-6 mustang needs to get a life and get a real car... what is the point of having a mustang if it is not going to be fast like i can understand the old svo but they were turbo...so my advice is left up ur skirt grab ur balls and go buy a v-8

Stang_Crazy 03-03-2002 01:24 PM

Some people just can't afford a GT. Reardless, a mustang is a mustang. At least he didn't take his V6 and rice it up like alot of people are doing. He's trying to make the best of his situation. Yes, he didn't get a GT...so what. His car may be a little slower than a V8 but his insurance is going to be less and his payments are probably less than a V8.

Not everyone can have exactly what they want. Hell, if I could afford it, I'd have a 89 Saleen SSC sitting in my garage but it's not financially wise. Maybe someday silverv6 will get a V8, but for now, I think it's nice to see him making the best of his situation.

gsxkilla 03-03-2002 01:39 PM

im sorry silver 6 might have been a lil hard on ur my point was not to be an *** just that i cant afford a newer GT so i dont buy a newer v-6 i buy an older 5.0 and the bottom line is i dont get into the street racer forum untill i have something worthy of racing...i still like mustangs and its better then a civic that pulls up to me to race everynight
ryan

Unit 5302 03-03-2002 03:56 PM

A low/mid 15sec car is respectable for a daily driver in my opinion, and that's more than likely what silverv6 has.

He may not have the fastest car on the block, but he does have a nice looking, reliable, quick car under warranty. Not everybody has the facilities to go out and buy some beat up old Fox body to fix up. I also don't get statements regarding taking the money he put into the V6 and going out and getting an older V8. Lot's of people go out and buy cars with almost nothing down now. Tax, title, and license cost just about as much as their down payment. You can't finance modifications and repairs in most cases.

Dark_5.0 03-04-2002 12:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unit 5302
[B]A low/mid 15sec car is respectable for a daily driver in my opinion, and that's more than likely what silverv6 has.

No way I have never seen a V6 stang get out of the 16's even with a few bolt ons and gears.

Normaly I see them run 15.3-15.6 on nitrous.

Unit 5302 03-04-2002 12:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dark_5.0
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by Unit 5302
A low/mid 15sec car is respectable for a daily driver in my opinion, and that's more than likely what silverv6 has.

No way I have never seen a V6 stang get out of the 16's even with a few bolt ons and gears.

I seriously don't get why all the cars run so slow at your track. MM&FF got a 5spd 99 V6 to run a 14 with no bolt on mods. Actually, I'm getting tired of you quoting what cars can and can't do based on your *** track at all. You've got to know by now your track has no basis for what 99% of other tracks run.

lx mike 03-04-2002 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dark_5.0

on nitrous they are running well into the 14's down here. even with just a few mods they are high 14's - low 15's. maybe it's the track like unit said.

gsxkilla 03-04-2002 10:49 AM

ok he is right there is no way a v-6 mustang gets into the 15's sorry but it just isnt true and just cuz u go out and buy a fox body mustang doesnt mean its beat up i have an 87 5.0 and it only has 85,000 miles on it and it is fast enough to drive it daily and to kick some camaro's *** everyonce in a while
ryan

lx mike 03-04-2002 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dark_5.0

Normaly I see them run 15.3-15.6 on nitrous. [/B]

http://www.velocitysix.com/members.php

Here's some proof that they can and do run 14-15's

inferno 03-04-2002 01:16 PM

Here is my take on the subject....why buy the v6 model with a goal to make it faster? It will cost about the same to get to the level of the v8 stang and even more to pass it, and at that point, the warranty on the engine will probably be voided. Saving 20 bucks a month on insurance(difference for me between a v6 and v8 stang) isn't that big of a difference.

StoplightWarrior 03-04-2002 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by inferno
Here is my take on the subject....why buy the v6 model with a goal to make it faster? It will cost about the same to get to the level of the v8 stang and even more to pass it, and at that point, the warranty on the engine will probably be voided. Saving 20 bucks a month on insurance(difference for me between a v6 and v8 stang) isn't that big of a difference.
Exactly! Do not buy a V6 stang in order to hop it up, it just doesn't make any sense. Now, if you already have a V6 stang, or are given one by your parents (ie high schoolers, college grads, etc) then you can make the best of it by hopping it up a bit, aint nothing wrong with that. Just don't go out and buy a v6 for cheaper than a GT thinking you'll put the difference in mods, cause you'll still not be as quick as the GT is stock!

LX XLR8R 03-04-2002 04:01 PM

my buddy ran a 15.5 in his 2000 v6..and he aint no racecar driver..i might of been able to get the ting to see a high 14/low15..that is complrty stock with no mufflers(dont ask)..they are 205hp

90LxDroptop 03-04-2002 05:59 PM

hey, maybe sliverv6 just got the first car jitters and jumped at it. I have friends that have done that too. Just make the best of that car, I made the best out of my 90 CONVERTIBLE when I first bought it (6 months ago, hell it's still just about stock)I was probably running a high 15 or a low 16 E.T. It was still fun as all heck. anyways, george forman grill is callign me, adios

blue00gt 03-04-2002 09:35 PM

It's obvious that a V6 stang is not going to be as fast as a V8, but if you look at the V6 stang and the new Eclipse, they are very close in horsepower and performance. Does this mean that the new Eclipse is not a performance vehicle? Of course not, so why bag on the V6 stang? It has more horsepower than a lot of the import sports cars.

95mustanggt 03-05-2002 10:14 AM

If I didn't have the money to buy a GT, or didn't really want a sports car, but still wanted a sports car (if you know what I mean) I would buy a V6 stang. They look great, have decent performance, get good gas mileage, and are more practical that other sports cars.

But I want performance, therefore I would only get the V8. But the GT is more than just the V8 engine, the rear end is stronger, the tires are wider/better, I think the suspension is also better (does the V6 have the rear torque shocks?)

Anyway there is no point in hotroding a V6, but as a daily driver I would not hesitate to buy one.

gsxkilla 03-05-2002 10:51 AM

ok first of all the new eclipse blows!!! and they are not performance cars.... so here is the deal the only reason that eclipse is fast cuz it is turbo nothing more i say that all u v-6 racers grow some balls and get a car to race or at least know that ur car is used for nothing better then cruising down the street! picking up girls!
ryan

blue00gt 03-05-2002 05:39 PM

The new Eclipse IS NOT TURBO. It's a sad attempt at a 3000GT without the horsepower and all wheel drive.

95mustanggt 03-05-2002 06:00 PM

I think the new Eclipses look stupid. The older ones look way better IMO.

LincoConti87 03-06-2002 10:52 AM

Who the hell do you think you are telling the whole world how they should do things? How are you going to sit there and mock someone for NOT buying a gt. I used to think that if you are going to buy a mustang get the one with the V8 but as far as the 99 up stangs go I happen to really like the V6's...I test drove one with a 5 speed and I thought it was great.

I also saw the magazine article where they took a stock 5 speed to a 14.9...sure not everyone can drive that good....tell me that every 87-93 5.0 could hit 14's...you must be a real rocket scientist to think that a 5.0 is that fast anyways. I happen to be very fond of the fox 5.0 but wake up and welcome to the next century...camaros are running high 12's stock and mustang gt's are hitting mid-high 13's who are you to be knocking on someone else for not having a fast car. If you actually did some reading you would see that many people mod out their 6's and run plenty faster than a gt...they drop turbos on them...some even drop in the V6 out of the trucks...I happen to think thats a nice little setup you have on your six with the flows and all. I would be proud to own that car. Have fun

gsxkilla 03-06-2002 11:03 AM

alright then u want to talk like ur bad and u want to race ur v-6 well dont even start talking till u put a turbo on there!!! and first of all new cobras are running mid 13's, and the gt's are running low 14's, so dont be a **** nut... now as far as ur comment of 5.0's i think that any 5.0 with a five speed and right driver will at least run 14's my best time is a 13.8 in a stock 5.0 thank you very much *** wipe
ryan

LincoConti87 03-06-2002 12:42 PM

First of all I don't have a V6...I have a 87 Continental built on the fox body...it has a 5.0...it is also slow as all get out cus its the regular 5.0...I'm not claiming to be bad or fast. I'm claiming to use common sense where you have instead placed *** since you have no idea what you are talking about.

Let me enlighten you...99 up Gts are able to pull hig- mid 13's ...There are several cases of Gts hitting 13.6's and 13.7's and there people who don't know how to drive that prolly can't get them out of the 15's but YES they do hit 13's.

As I stated before NOT EVERYONE can hit 14's with a 5.0 mustang...I don't think this needs more explaining....and I hope to God that you made a typo and meant to say you hit a 14.8 and not a 13.8 because then I know that I have wasted my time completely.

Now grow up and leave your childish remarks to yourself. Theres plenty of morons out there that can curse...shoot there are parrots that can curse. I would give you alot more respect if you could make a point without using profanity or putting someone else down.

gsxkilla 03-06-2002 06:19 PM

all im trying to say is that on this site we have so many people making fun of ricers driving around when we have the same people driving slow v-6's now i understand if his parents bought him that or whatever im not saying i wouldnt drive one im just saying that i wouldnt talk bout racing one!!! oh hey guys my mom has a 99 zx2 anyone up for kicking my *** :) and if u want the slip to prove that i ran a 13.8 i will scan it for ya! now pick up a version of the september 2001 edition of muscle mustangs and fast fords and u will see that there best time with the 2001 cobra was at 13.3 with perfect conditions! now considering that the new cobras had 320 horse and gt's only have 260 then u do the map dont call me a dumb *** ur the one that doesnt know ET times from its *** oh yea i just wanted to curse one more time i ****** ur mom last night
ryan

gsxkilla 03-06-2002 06:21 PM

err sorry i ment u do the math not the map
ryan

LincoConti87 03-06-2002 09:09 PM

Well I guess you just proved that it is impossible to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I just told you that there are people that run mid-high 13s in GT's WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND. You obviously have no clue about anything. A ricer is not someone who has a slow car and races people...a ricer is someone who tries to make the trim level of his/her car that of a higher car without doing anything other than appearance modifications and generally they do all kinds of stupid stuff like putting wings and stickers and huge exhaust tips...that guy is not a ricer.

Why are you comparing apples with oranges...cobras and gts are two diferent cars. The cobras have independent rear suspension and have trouble with wheel hop. Since ure so darn smart though I guess I can't tell you anything...and I didn't call you a dumb***...but hey I won't argue with you...Anyone can scan a timeslip from a car that is not theirs....you are trying to tell me that a mustang gt with 270 or 80 horsepower cannot run a mi-high 13 with the vast experience you have, yet you ran a 220 horsepower stock mustang 5.0 to a 13.8? Yea I'm the one that needs to do math

Doesn't anybody here remember LizardKing with his Gt that ran a 13.7?

I guess I'm just blowing air around though because you keep responding with false information that you cannot back up and think you are smart because you know 3 different curse words. Congratulations you have just achieved the 3rd grade diploma of excellency.

gsxkilla 03-07-2002 11:01 AM

my car is an lx and weights a hell of alot lighter and im not saying that it isnt possible just not normal normally ur not gonna get a GT to run that i think that is juist being a complete moron if u think every GT u get out on the track will hit 13's and oh yea if anyone agrees with u on saying that cobras are not as fast as GT's will u please say something becaus if u dot u need to be shot thank you
ryan

Barrfight 03-07-2002 11:51 AM

Wow! Hey guys, chill out. We're all on the same side here. Let's focus some of that negative energy towards the hondas, toyotas, nissans, and acuras out there.

LincoConti87 03-07-2002 05:34 PM

We are not on the same side. This guy opened by saying that the guy who started this thread need to get a life because he did not have a V8....read the whole thread.

Why keep up the same argument. I told you that Gts can hit 13's...you told me I was dumb and that they didn't. Now you say that some can but not all of them.

And you still think that a fox body 5.0 can hit a 13.8 STOCK? COME ON ALREADY

I didn't say that Gts were faster than Cobras...I said you cannot compare them....that does not mean that GTs are faster...I didn't claim that GTs could do 13.3.

Your statement says that if I think every Gt out there can hit 13's I'm a complete moron. But you just said that every 5.0 with a 5 speed can hit a 14.8 with a good driver....thats my argument...good driver. But I can't get over the fact that you claim to run a FULL second faster in the 1/4 with your stock 5.0 than any other good driver out there. Would someone else please give me a hand here.

Your final idea is that I should be shot...thats nice. Thank you:p

Barrfight 03-07-2002 05:50 PM

I just meant we shouldn't really be arguing about what mustang is better than another or stuff like that. I'm just saying we're all driving domestics and don't like the ricer scene......

SixShooter00 03-07-2002 05:53 PM

GSXkilla

Man i gotta v6 msutang and ive smoked every v8 ive ran into so far, ive only lost one race and that was against a Chevy nova, that was running low 11's.

The bottome line is you can make any car fast..this game is all about money. so anyone with a v6 dont listen to his chump, because id smoke his A**, representin all the vsixers out there.

and ill have pics of my car on here real soon

Albert
President Of Sixshooters car club
Austin,TX

gsxkilla 03-07-2002 06:36 PM

first of all im not against anyone that has a v-6 mustang like i said i would drive one i just wouldnt race one till it was actually fast i have plenty of friends with fast 4 cylinders and i dont make fun of them b/c they are fast... my car does run a 13.8 and just because u say that GT's run 13's doesnt mean anything to me b/c clearly u are stuck in mustang dream land or some **** now silver 6 like i said before the first post was a lil hard on u im not saying that i dont appreciate the fact that u like mustangs and drive a v-6 mustang personally they are just not for me thats all! now as for rob ur just a queer thats the bottom line!
ryan

LincoConti87 03-07-2002 11:03 PM

You are a real bright one. You contradict even yourself....You said he should get a life cus he didn't get a GT...why don't YOU get a life. I don't care what your car runs...a stock 5.0 does not run 13's so obviously you are either a liar or your car is not stock. Pick one. I'm the one stuck in mustang dreamland? YOU ARE THE DREAMER WITH A MUSTANG. I have a Lincoln...don't you read too good boy?

Once again you show no evidence of being able to backup a single thing you say. The only thing you can come up with is that I'm a queer?:o Dude why don't you just admit that you spoke without thinking and stop being such a jerk about it.

melmo316 03-07-2002 11:33 PM

gsxkilla, keep on drinking, your making perfect sence

Seriously though, I am new to this site and I would like to know if anyone here can give me any info on what I would need under the hood of a new (to me) mustang. I am thinking about getting one so that I can whoop on my husband's camaro.

LincoConti87 03-07-2002 11:50 PM

What kinda mustang what kinda camaro? I could prolly list off a few things for ya but you could get a lot of answers if you post under the forums specifically for technical stuff for your type of mustang. If you have an older 5.0 look in thw windsor forum and if its newer under the modular one

melmo316 03-08-2002 12:14 AM

I am just getting ideas on what to get, I don't have it yet. but thanks for the info. I'm thinking an early 90's GT. The camaro is an 86 Z28. We are currently rebuilding the 350 and should be around 300 hp with a TH350 transmission and 3.23 gears. He is hoping to be mid to low 14 second range. What would I need to do to make a 5.0 out run it. He hates Mustangs so that is why I am wanting to go with one that will whip his little camaro.
Thanks, Jen.

melmo316 03-08-2002 12:23 AM

Come on guys, don't give my wife a bunch of crazy ideas. I have been begging with her to get another camaro so at least she will have a chance. Hell she would probably have a better chance with a honda. Just what I need, a ford to work on.

LincoConti87 03-08-2002 12:53 AM

HAHAHAHA poor baby heh heh

You are going to have a little bit of work in front of you to make a 5.0 dip into 13's...Me thinks that if you have 300 horsepower in that 350 its gonna see low-mid 13's with traction. I'm not a chevy expert though. On FordvsChevy.com there is a guy that built a 350 and dropped it in a early 80's i guess Malibu and I think it dynoed somewhere around 300 horses and he was running mid 12's first time at track.
If you wanna start off good you should go with a 99 up 4.6 but if you are anything like me...broke for one...and second why buy a new gt for over 20 grand when you can get an old 5.0 for 3-5 grand and drop 10 grand into the engine and really haul butt and have money left over to put a down payment on a house...or maybe build a hydraulic lift into your garage:D

lx mike 03-08-2002 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by melmo316
He is hoping to be mid to low 14 second range. What would I need to do to make a 5.0 out run it. Thanks, Jen.
doesn't take much to run those time in a 5.0. click on my car name and see what i have, i am running 13.8's right now.

gears, either 3.55 or 3.73 and tires and you should be running mid to low 14's with no other mods in a 5.0

89hatchbackGT 03-08-2002 11:02 PM

I've never raced a turbo eclipse but I've raced a 2000 non turbo and man those things are slow. I know i put at least 5 car lengths between us, most likely more than that. The way I see it, if a car HAS TO HAVE turbos to be fast, why buy it. Buy a car thats already fast n/a and put the same turbo on it and you'll beat everything. Just my opinion.

89hatchbackGT 03-08-2002 11:05 PM

put the same turbo on your v6 stang that the eclipse had and you'll kick his *** into the ground.

MidNiteBlu 5.0 03-09-2002 04:05 AM

Hey gsxkilla calm down. This site is normally filled with eucated people and you come on here trash talking everyone. Go somewhere else if you are gonna do that.

Later

SixShooter00 03-09-2002 12:52 PM

EXACTLY

good point midnite.

madmike 03-10-2002 04:41 AM

well i can tell yeah that i really do not pay much attention to anything thats runs 15sand i would have to agree that if you want to drag then get a v8 and go smoke that little ***** with a stock 5.0.there is nothing i hate more than a rice burner with an attitude:mad:.but hey you know what if you like the car for just the body style thats cool but if you are going to beef it up get the muscle cause there is nothing better sounding than a ford v8 with flowmasters.

Unit 5302 03-10-2002 01:11 PM

Unit wades through the BS

1. The new V6 Mustang, with a stick is pretty quick for a stock car. I don't really understand why that's being debated here. As far as modding it, yeah, you can make it WAY fast. Ever here of a 3.8L GM build Grand National? Yeah, all those modded ones are slow as **** aren't they? Course, they only weigh 500lbs more than a new V6. Anything can be made fast. If you want to make something fast, starting with the 4.6L is a good idea, but the 3.8L CAN be made fast too.
  2. Anybody who thinks it's not possible for a stock Fox 5.0 to run a 13, refer to dozens of topics in Windsor Power over the last couple years proving they can. With probably 50 responders anyway. The Fox 5.0 weighs 200lbs less than a new GT, has a far superior powerband, and has been known on occation to dyno more like 230hp. Especially fast are the SD cars.

My sorry *** state of tune fox with 10* timing running hot ran a 14.19 spinning all to hell. I have worse gearing than factory. I do have exhaust though. :rolleyes:
  3. Comparing the box stock off the floor new GT to the Cobra is stupid. The powerbands are completely different. Gears absolutely KILL a new Cobra. Plus the Cobra weighs in a hefty 250lbs more than a GT. The new GT is dynoing like it has 260-270hp, the new Cobra dynos like it has 340hp. The new GT will struggle to get a 13.7, although it may be possible for it to be done. Little mods help the GT pick up a couple tenths, such as removing the headlight to get a ram air effect like Lizard King. The Cobra will run 12's with gears and nothing more. Take a look at trap speed, which is a more accurate way of comparing the two. 100mph for the GT, 105mph for the Cobra, and the Cobra weighs more. There's your hp. The problem is down low, off the line, and the initial acceleration until it hit's the powerband. Actually, there are stock engined Cobra's in the 11's. Try doing that with a GT.
  4. I've seen two people carrying out a slugfest here, and neither one knows anything about what they are talking about. It's been impressive.

SprchrgdPony 03-10-2002 07:50 PM

Re: Got smoked by a 2000 Eclipse

Quote:

Originally posted by silverv6
18"spoked rims with lowprofile tires
Please tell me you dont have 18" *Daytons*
:confused: :rolleyes:

gsxkilla 03-10-2002 11:31 PM

ok man i dont know why my car is as fast as it is im not dreaming it isnt normal now i was suprised when it ran it!! now the only thing it has is that they took the heater out the person that had it before me (god knows why??) so it sucks to drive when its real cold but anyways i know what would give a lil more hp...now if u dont believe me i really dont care if u want to come down to missouri and want to take it to the track i will even let u drive it ok??
ryan

Rocket 99GT 03-11-2002 12:20 PM

"StoplightWarrior" posted 12.3@111 GT

Please excuse my stupidity but how are you able to achieve 12.3 @111 in a 2000gt.

Do you have some type of air induction system? what is "Tornado Air Management System" is that what is getting you so much power?

I have a 99GT and with all my mods I am just able to get to 13.687.

.................................................. ...............................................

Mustang 99GT
Under drive pulleys, subframes, 3.73, sport Lowering springs, strut tower brace, caster/camber plates, rear sway bar, tokiko illumina adjustable shocks/struts, upper&lower rear control arms, timing adjuster, 245x17 Michelin pilot, high performance brake pads,k&n filter (no silencer, no spare tire).

SixShooter00 03-11-2002 01:34 PM

13.67's

Maybe your only running 13.6's because most of your mods are suspension ones. you need somewhere between 370 to 400 hp ina full weight gt to run 12s

if i had a gt id start off with 4.10 gears, a cold airintake, pulleys, a computer chip, 70mm thb.

just my opinion