MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-02-2002, 12:19 AM   #1
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Angry Need help, got spanked by a ricer.

I need some cheap easy upgrades that i can do with out messing with the comp. This D*** little Mitsubitchy eclipse GST beat me once i got into fourth gear. I had him off the line but once i got into fourth he passed me with ease, smoke and all (LOL thats my only consolidation is that he passed me while a nice black smoke was coming out the muffler) I guess you could say he "smoked" me. I need something to shut up these little rice burners they got the turbos boostin so much you can hear them boostn amile away. I beat a Grand Prix GT no prob but these darn ricers are becoming a problem in this town and they need to be shown some AMERICAN MUSCLE.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:12 AM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Rice poison...

Get a set of gears for your stang and leave most of them in the dust. If you want to get more serious, I would bolt on a good set of heads and a better intake.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:20 AM   #3
RayC76
Registered Member

If I were you I would not worry about iridium plugs and get some gears. Do you have an auto or manual?
Ray
94 White Cobra #4502 M5 3.73
Full exhaust,tokiko springs,cobra rr hood

90 Wild Strawberry lx M5 2.73
Full exhaust, all else stock

95 Black Z28 A4 3.42
Full exhaust,CAI,ss rims
RayC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:35 AM   #4
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

manual. Im thinking about getting a Pro 5.0 shifter. are they anygood?
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Old 06-02-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
RayC76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal5Oh
manual. Im thinking about getting a Pro 5.0 shifter. are they anygood?
First thing on any mustang is to get gears and a shifter. If I were you I would get 3.73 gears and the shifter of your choice. I prefer the steeda tri-ax to others that I have had.

Ray
Old 06-02-2002, 12:41 PM   #6
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Question Since you'all are talkin about gears.....

I've always heard that 3.73 were an excellent compromise from hwy to off-the-line quickness. My only concern is that 3.73's will run out on the highway too quickly.
Elisa's got the 4.10's which I love, but it sux being stuck in traffic and you're at 3,000 rpms in 5th going only 80mph.

Matthew

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
Grn92LX
Registered Member

Wink

First and foremost is the full tune up & fluid change. Then do 373's, new posi clutches while your there and use synthetic gear oil too w/ a bottle of friction mod. Change trans fluid to synthetic too. Then do LT headers, H-pipe and your choice of 2.5" cat back. Bump up the timing to 14* if you can and run 93 or so octane. Underdrivew pulleys are usually good for 1mph at the track or 5-10hp. Get the pro 5.0 shifter you want too. After doing this, you have a nice foundation. Then you can look into heads/cam/intake + supporting fuel/bolt on mods if you have the $$. Start w/ the basics first like I mentioned. I say go w/ LT's cause shortys are worth NOTHING on a stock 5.0.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:57 PM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Thanks Grn92LX. When you say put synthetic in the trans are you talking about synthetic ATF or Mobil 1 oil? I was actually wondering about putting the B&M trick shift in or the new synthetic stuff, but i wonder if it will mess with the syncros during the winter. I put that trick shift in an auto trans once and as soon as winter came the trans started holding in second for awhile then shifting to third (dodge trans)
Old 06-02-2002, 05:26 PM   #9
Grn92LX
Registered Member

I mean synthetic ATF. redline D4ATF or mobil 1 is what you need.
Grn92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 06:36 PM   #10
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

If that ricer was blowing smoke, he could have possibly been spraying n20, but not always the case when you see smoke.

Yea they boost up these cars around here too, subaru WRX around here in the 12's with an aftermarket turbo and intercooler,

also, dont believe shorty headers arent any good, you would be surprised how quick some stangs are with shorty's, but its your choice, you will love the gears, 373's will pull hard in 4th gear, i doubt your tpend will be affected, also the guy that rebuilt my t-5 said not to use synthetics in a t-5, many people do it i know, but i trust this guy, he has been rebuilding transmissions for 25 yrs, and my t-5 has held up to many off 5 k launches with cheap coastal atf, synthetic atf is overrated imo.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:09 PM   #11
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Well then he must have been NOsn it the whole time he was driven. He was smoking at the light
Old 06-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #12
82 GT
Import Slayer

I thought you said it was black smoke. It can't be NO2 if it's black smoke.
Not only did you get beat by a ricer, you got beat by an "out of tune" ricer which makes it even worse!
Anyhow, I say why not fight fire with fire? If the ricecers have their turbos then why not invest some $$ into an S trim blower and also the 3:73 gears? That should cure your problem with the imports.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:14 PM   #13
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Beleive me if i had the money (which i dont) i would get a twin turbo kit. Like you said "fire with fire" I plan on getting the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust so they can atleats hear what american muscle sounds like (not like a *&^% load of crotch rockets or indy cars) Im kinda thinking the clutch may be given out, it has like 70600 miles on it now, its the stocker. Would a center force dual friction be over kill for my application right now? what do you recommend?
Old 06-03-2002, 11:22 PM   #14
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
I thought you said it was black smoke. It can't be NO2 if it's black smoke.
Not only did you get beat by a ricer, you got beat by an "out of tune" ricer which makes it even worse!
Anyhow, I say why not fight fire with fire? If the ricecers have their turbos then why not invest some $$ into an S trim blower and also the 3:73 gears? That should cure your problem with the imports.
well he didnt say it was smoking at idle, besides, out of tune?? so i guess the bpu supra i saw at the track last week running 11.0's @ 140+ was out of tune? they smoke when you start modifying them ,or yes they could be out of tune depending, no 5.0 needs an s-trim to beat an eclipse a "cure" isnt a blower unless your taking on bpu supras maybe, maybe im wrong, but last time i saw my friend put the 150 shot to his stang i saw black smoke puff out as he ripped off getting out of shape.....
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 06-03-2002, 11:24 PM   #15
RayC76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal5Oh
Would a center force dual friction be over kill for my application right now? what do you recommend?
No centerforce! Myself and others have blown these up. Get ahold of www.ddperformance.com These guys are great. I have used cobra hd and king cobra's and like them. Get a new cast iron flywheel while your ordering stuff.
Ray
Old 06-03-2002, 11:32 PM   #16
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I see some clutches with 70% more holding power, would the be over doing it? Id really love to upgrade to that Viper T56 six speed. You guys say get a new cast fly wheel, is there any advantage to a billet? Also have you guys ever heard of Trickshaft? they make carbon fiber driveshafts. I saw it on Horse Power tv but i cant find them.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:42 PM   #17
RayC76
Registered Member

Quote:
I see some clutches with 70% more holding power, would that be over doing it?
just get the $159 one, it will be fine. If you talk to those guys there they can help you too. I believe one of them is the original engineer on ford clutches. Dont quote me on that.
Quote:
You guys say get a new cast fly wheel, is there any advantage to a billet?
Just get the cast.
Ray
Old 06-03-2002, 11:44 PM   #18
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yes thats overkill, all you need is a motorsport king cobra clutch, i have the motorsport (non kingcobra) and its a tight pedal feel, the king has less effort, and holds power well, also i never seen the carbon fiber d/s, but the aluminum is been a good unit for me.....good luck.

btw, the best flywheel for anything stock or mildly modified, is just an oem stock flywheel, just my opinions though.....later

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 06-04-2002, 12:53 AM   #19
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Thats what i needed to know, thanks. I was just wondering about the carbon fider d/s. Last i heard it was around $600 or more. No thanks.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:59 AM   #20
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

one more thing, get a 3.73, and a CHIP your car will benefit more from a chip, than just about anything you put on there. the 94-95 computers suck really bad. next time you pull up next to a ricer, just remember drive it like you stole it.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote