MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-19-2002, 02:41 AM   #1
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Thumbs up Had a scuffle with a Roadrunner

Last night I was driving home from a friend's house and decided I'd jump on the freeway just for the heck of it. As I'm heading towards the freeway on-ramp I pass by a big mopar waiting to pull out of a local burger joint. I glance in the rear-view and see him pull out and think to myself "please follow me onto the freeway". Sure enough I notice him get behind me as I make the left turn onto the ramp.

There was some slow mini-van in front of me on the ramp and the old mopar was comming up from behind pretty fast. I merged before the van, and so did the guy behind me. He quickly jumps another lane over and gets on the gas, pulling up on my side fast. I too put the pedal down a little and hold right next to him as he gets closer, putting a quick end to the flyby, letting him know that I was willing to play.

I let off the gas a little and we both begin to slow down, I let him pull past me to get a good look at his car. Turns out it was a plymouth roadruner...no sure on the year 70 or 71 maybe? ( are these cars fast?..big block I assume, nice rubber on the back and a mean exhaust tone)

Anyways, we hit some traffic and do some lane swtiching before we finnally get some open road. I pull along the drivers side and pace him, then glance over to see if he's interseted. This was the first time I'd even paid attention to the driver...turned out to be a little old man and his wife...lol. I think to myself, " uh-oh..the fun is over, this guy will never-" I didn't have time to finish the thought as he was on the gas hard to shake me. I punched it and stayed with him. We both let off and I paced him for a few more seconds. When I glanced over he was looking right at me... we exchanged grins and began to slow down a bit, keeping side by side. His wife had this funny expression like she was thinking "Oh Harold, don't encourage the boy!"..lol. We slowed to about 45 or so and he gave me a nod and jumped on it.

"Ok pops now it's ON!" No way was I going to get schooled by a bingo-playing senior citizen! I dropped it in second and buried the pedal in the carpet. Held up to 6k and hit third and just kept on pulling. By the top of second I had solid car length on him and had maybe 3-3.5 by the time we shut down. I doubt he gave it EVERYTHING he had...but I could tell by the exhaust note that he was winding it up pretty hard.

Anyways, he gave an enthusiastic thumubs up has he passed by, and his wife just smiled and shook her head in disbelief. Hopefully when I'm as old as that guy (must have been at least 75+..lol) I'll still be out bangin' gears with the youth... it was a pretty fun night, just thought I'd share it.
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back

Last edited by Frankenstang65; 05-19-2002 at 02:51 AM..
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 09:57 AM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

That's cool!! I love cool old people who like to race... I got into a nice little race with an old man (70 or so) in a Impala SS, it was fun, but too much traffic to really let loose!
Old 05-19-2002, 11:18 AM   #3
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Nice race! It always surprises me when old people race. Just last night I had a 50 something year old father with 3 teenagers in his jaguar s type try to run me. lol
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Hey, I'm one of those old guys looking for a race. I've been looking for FivepointoOH for years now, but probably wouldn't know him when I see him (we live in the same area).

The Plymouth Road Runners that I knew back in the day were '67-'70's that had a 383 and 4 speeds. They weighed probably 3500 lbs. and probably ran mid 14's at around 95 mph. They had bias ply tires remember, but they were pretty quick for the day. I have always liked them.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

Exclamation Beep Beep

From what I recall the '70-'71 was a big change for the Roadrunner. The 70 (and earlier) were square, ala dukes of hazard charger, and the '71+ were rounded like the challenger. They also cam with anything from a 383 to a 426 hemi or 440-6pak. I don't know what the smallest motor you could get in 71 was, 340 maybe.
Looks like you mustang is a little bit of a sleeper with the 351 in there. He was probably been beathing 289 mustangs for years. Keep an eye out for him without the old lady, I'm sure he'll run you again.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 06:26 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Awesome story. What happened to the days when people could goof off a little like that and not worry about jailtime?

I hope I have the chance to be like that older guy. What a blast to be older and still enjoy life!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:25 AM   #7
srv1
Get down.....

Thumbs up Metamucil Muscle?!

cool story. old muscle cars going at it! something Japan will never have.......

whats with the old guy? now if we can only get the other 99% to drive like him, we wont have any problems, will we?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: