MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2001, 08:32 PM   #1
jerryIII

Question Ring blow by???

looking at purchasing another 84 mustang, the kid is sellin cheap.. he showed reciepts of all new top end stuff (cam, intake, heads & carb)..

the problem is when you drive it, it blows huge smoke out of the valve cover breathers...

My thoughts, the rings are bad allowing blow by into the block and that is what we are seeing (it smells like oil)..

what do you guys think???

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

4:10's on their way!!!!
Old 06-25-2001, 02:56 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

That's a good chance. A kid with an 84 Mustang with hopped up parts is surely going to lead-foot it. It could be cheap to re-ring it or it might be expensive cause you might need to rebuild it. In high school my 65 stang had blowby and an insane amount of carbon buildup on the pistons. Not having any money, I just bought some new rings and ran a dingleberry hone through the cylinders. It worked well. As long as your bores are still round, all you need to do is put a cross=hatch pattern on the cylinder walls and slap some new rings on.
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote