MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-15-2002, 04:50 AM   #1
RedCobra/95
Registered Member

Question Here's a good one for you????? Kinda long!!

Alright, I'll see if you all can figure this one out. Well I was coming home late at night, it was pouring cats and dogs. I'm stopped at a red light, with no other cars around me. With a big straight away ahead of me. I'm just chilling listening to tunes and blasting the heater. But low and behold out of no where, I believe it was a VW Golf GTI VR6, newer box shape body style. Doing a youngs man's famous 18" tailpipe rev. I don't even look over, cause I'm not stupid to race in the rain. So the light turns green, I cauitously go slow, hoping this Kazoo pipe guy flies on by. But NO, he's a half a car length ahead of me and slows down to an even pace with me. I'm like okay you nerd its raining, go away, so he won't leave me alone. So I said screw this, I'm going to be stupid and leave this guy in my wake. So, where crusing at 35mph I drop it into 3rd ( big mistake, I should've put it 2nd gear) so I'm barely pulling away. I look at my mph gauge, I'm going 100mph and I look to see where the VW GTI was at, and I was amazed to see he was on my a** keeping up. So then I had to turn at the next intersection and slammed on the brakes and he just flew on by. I have to admit, I was upset with my mustang after that little encounter, I was hoping to be a little more then a car length ahead oh him. : ( Or, I just can't drive!!! Let me know what you all think.
My so called Mods are: 30lbs Injectors, 80mm Pro-M, E303 cam, Aeromotive Adj. Fuel Regulator, ElderBrock Performer Alumi. Heads w/Locwire Gaskets, Alumi. Radiator, Alumi. Drive shaft, Mac LongTube headers, Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Bassani Quiet thunder mufflers. Steeda sport springs, KYB struts and shocks. Mac fenderwell induction system thing. Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter and 3.73 Gears.

Last edited by RedCobra/95; 03-15-2002 at 05:02 AM..
RedCobra/95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
bark3rd
Registered Member

Those pesky ricers will surprise you sometimes. I had a similiar situation the other night with a modded integra (although it was ALOT more than a car length I was still impressed with its spunk). I think we just dont take them very seriously. I dont know what gear ratio you are running or what speed you rolled out from, you were probably just off the power band and bogged a bit (possibly the best plan of action on the rain anyway, you wouldnt want to drop my car into second and floor it even on dry pavement!). What was funny to me the other night was after I spanked the integra I turned on my hazards just to taunt him, then about 5 min later he did a 90 mph fly by when I wasnt even looking and then turned his hazards on as if he beat me or something. Hes probably posting all over the place how he killed a blown GT!! Dork.
Black 2000 GT, Vortech SQ trim, 38 lb inj, 80mm Pro-m MAF, MAC prochamber offroad-H, 2 chamber flows, 4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Tokico Illumina 5way front shocks, Steeda sport springs, FMS alum D/S, Nitto 555R's, B&M ripper shifter, Autometer boost and fuel press. gauges: 1st dyno run (final chip not burned yet- pig rich): 364.3 RWHP, 352 RWTQ
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
RedCobra/95
Registered Member

Man Bark3rd you got some pretty awesome mods, is your stang your daily drive ! Ya, Man the down fall with my 1995 cobra is that it has stock 3.08 gears. Every Cobra made after 1995 has stock 3.27 gears. I guess that will have to be my next upgrade 3.73 GEARS. Ya, I was rollin at 35mph when this import wouldn't leave me alone, thats when I dropped from 4th to 3rd to try and leave him in the dust. But owell, you are right there is some imports out there, that we have to becareful with, cause you never know. Ya, them fly byes are the best, usually when you are beating them by quite a few car lengths, you slow down. Then they just don't get it, they assume by flying past you, they have accomplished something. Hmmmm, owell, I guess if I got beat, I would get the heck on out of there as fast as possible or take the next exit, cause I would feel stupid thinking my car was fast. Haaaa!!! Haaaaa!! Silly kids!!!
My so called Mods are: 30lbs Injectors, 80mm Pro-M, E303 cam, Aeromotive Adj. Fuel Regulator, ElderBrock Performer Alumi. Heads w/Locwire Gaskets, Alumi. Radiator, Alumi. Drive shaft, Mac LongTube headers, Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Bassani Quiet thunder mufflers. Steeda sport springs, KYB struts and shocks. Mac fenderwell induction system thing. Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter and 3.73 Gears.

Last edited by RedCobra/95; 03-15-2002 at 02:22 PM..
Old 03-20-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Trying to race in an NA car without gears is kindof pointless.

My brother's got a red 94 cobra with CAI, pulleys, Hpipe, Throttlebody and flows. When we go from a roll, it's not even funny how much length I put on him at the start with my 4.10's vs his 3.08's!

After our run, he's saving for some 3.73's!

Get some gears and a cam in that thing, and you'll be flying!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 03:29 PM   #5
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, some of those ricers do have a trick or two up their sleeves. But hopefully you'll find some consolation in the fact that you were only half trying.
Gotta love that famous Washington rain...lol...definatley puts a damper on the stoplight duels around here. As bark3rd pointed out, shifting into third instead of second was probably a wise idea. I did a 360 one rainy day when I mashed on it trying to beat a yellow light. This was just three days after I finished painting it...lol...a little too close for my comfort.
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #6
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default stoplight warrior

I noticed in your signature that you're selling your car. Is this just another joke signature or are you really selling it?

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 09:41 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: stoplight warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
I noticed in your signature that you're selling your car. Is this just another joke signature or are you really selling it?
Haha, no, no joke this time. I just can't afford to make the payments anymore. I still want to stay with a mustang, I'll just have to pick up an older one.

I'm also thinking about a TT supra, but probably won't find a nice one in my new price range.

You want a nice GT?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 03-20-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default no thanks

Quote:
You want a nice GT?
Last summer, I had a 2001 GT on order. 2 weeks before it was due at the dealer, I cancelled my order. I deceided that a new Mustang would not be a financially wise thing to buy...so I bought my 89. Now, I don't have any payments and my car is on it's way to being as fast as a new 5-speed GT.

But, believe me, if I could afford some monthly payments, you would be hearing from me cause you have a pretty mean car. Good luck selling it. Hope it goes well and I hope you find another stang soon!!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:19 AM   #9
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You probaly just spun the tires really bad in the rain and with his awesome torque in his import and those 18s he wasn't spinning as much so he could keep up with you. Dang i hate the rain. I have seen my speedo say 70 mph before and i was just sitting there going nowhere because of rain.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:47 AM   #10
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: no thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy

Last summer, I had a 2001 GT on order. 2 weeks before it was due at the dealer, I cancelled my order. I deceided that a new Mustang would not be a financially wise thing to buy...so I bought my 89. Now, I don't have any payments and my car is on it's way to being as fast as a new 5-speed GT.

But, believe me, if I could afford some monthly payments, you would be hearing from me cause you have a pretty mean car. Good luck selling it. Hope it goes well and I hope you find another stang soon!!

Yeah, if I had just had the wisdom you had last year, I wouldn't be in this situation now.
Oh well, last year my job was great, making lots of cash, now the job sucks, and I'm not. (Homer Simpson voice) "Stupid Economy..."
Old 03-21-2002, 04:33 AM   #11
RedCobra/95
Registered Member

Default I hate the rain :( !!!

Ya, out here in Seattle the rain S**kS . Especially when you got a daily drive like me. I'll have to agree with you stoplightwarrior and get myself some gears, everybody I've ever ridden with 3.55,3.73 and4.10 gears is a world of difference, especially compared to riding in my stang it feels so slow. I'll have to bust out the savings and get some gears. I'll be going with 3.73s, I hope it gives me the same amount of gas mileage, owell maybe not. Cause I'll be stepping on the gas more often, . Frankenstang65 nice ride, was that you showing off your stang at Seattle International Race Way last summer? If it was, sweet ride But ya, the rain it s**Ks out here, especially if you want toget on it, you just sit there spinning the tires, especially when your stopped at a light that is uphill, talk about wheel spin!!!!!

I can't wait to see the new Mach one coming out in a few years in person, mmmmm maybe it might be my next stang.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:21 PM   #12
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: I hate the rain :( !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RedCobra/95
I'll have to agree with you stoplightwarrior and get myself some gears, everybody I've ever ridden with 3.55,3.73 and4.10 gears is a world of difference, especially compared to riding in my stang it feels so slow. I'll have to bust out the savings and get some gears. I'll be going with 3.73s, I hope it gives me the same amount of gas mileage, owell maybe not. Cause I'll be stepping on the gas more often,
You will not get the same gas mileage, but at the same time, you will not care!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 03-22-2002, 03:11 PM   #13
mean81GT
Registered Member

in your opinion stoplight, how much of a difference do the 3.73's make with the gas mileage? i can't imagine it could be more than 1 or 2 mpg?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:38 PM   #14
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mean81GT
in your opinion stoplight, how much of a difference do the 3.73's make with the gas mileage? i can't imagine it could be more than 1 or 2 mpg?
I'm seeing 4-5mpg less with the 4.10's vs the 3.27's. Keep in mind, though, that mine is an auto.

With a manual, and only going to 3.73's, you shouldn't see any more than 1-2mpg less.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 03-22-2002, 08:21 PM   #15
67GTACoupe
Registered Member

Default love of a big block

Sup all,

Sometimes it dosn't even take rain to do a 360, a friend was trying to keep up with me in his el camino, when i was going onto a offramp he started catching up as i slowed so i floor it come off a turn and did a 360 missing a guard rail by inches(cold street/tires)

Steven

Drive Fast, Race Hard, Beat Ricers.

Live your life a 1/4 mile at a time
67GTACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: