MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2001, 07:37 PM   #1
exgmguy
Registered Member

Smile 454 Regal and a 355 Monza today! Kinda long

OK, I went for a little cruise this afternoon to look at some houses. I pull up to a light on Mound rd next to a wicked sounding mid 80's Regal. I was thumpin' like crazy, had the electric fuel pump in the back, big E.T. Streets, cage, etc...
I nodded to him and he asked if I had a 351. I said no just a 302. He says "Oh...i've got a 454" All the while his passenger has a sh!t eating grin on his face. I did not plan on running him off the light so we took off slow. Then he guns it and shakes my fillings loose.
I pull up next to him and motion for him to go. He hammers the gas and we're even in 1st. I hit 2nd pull a car and keep inching ahead. I had about 2 cars by mid 4th. We did it again to the same outcome.

The second race was a Monza with big and little Welds, and a lumpy V-8. He caught up to me and dropped a gear. We slowed down to 2nd and hit it. I pulled ahead steadily till the top of 3rd where I had about 2 cars on him.
We pulled over and chatted for a few and he wanted to go somewhere and get the advantage of his ET streets and automatic. We pulled out to a stoplight and I staged just above idle. The light goes green and I actually get him out of the hole! I am ahead and pull second. I have maybe a car on him. Then at the top of second my car starts to sputter and he catches up almost next to me. I shift into 3rd and he is right at my door.

I look at my bottle gauge and it is sitting at 500 psi. Oops. Ran out. To add to that I now have a nice rattle coming from my trans that goes away when I push in the clutch. Sweet. My 3rd lunched T-5!

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
12.0 @ 122
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 09:41 PM   #2
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Man it sounds like your killing some stout cars! Great job!

Hope the tranny isn't expensive!

------------------
'86 GT.
Gears & Flows

'87 GT.
Stock
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
exgmguy
Registered Member

I might be lucky and just wasted the throwout bearing. But probably wasted a couple teeth off a gear, or ruined a bearing, etc... More surgery. Nice to see that my Drag radials are finally starting to hook after getting a little wear on them though.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:15 AM   #4
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Talking

Ahhh...the fun of having a whole lotta power and a tranny not built for it! I'd limp it around and hope it holds together until you have the $ for a Tremec or something. I think my T-5 is on borrowed time, still working perfect for 3 driving seasons-knock on wood!!!

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B&M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 12:04 PM   #5
exgmguy
Registered Member

Yeah, Too bad at elevated power levels T-5's don't give much clue they are going. Usually just KABOOM.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:08 PM   #6
bada$$lx

Cool

That's what I'm waiting for......the KABOOM just won't happen. Oh, well, I'll just beat on it until it can't take any more.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)