MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
88GT 5pt0
Registered Member

Default Powershift in AOD

Can someone please explain to me how to powershift with an AOD
Old 08-06-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Powershift an AOD? Whoever claimed it could be done is smoking crack
Old 08-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default Re: Powershift in AOD

Quote:
Originally posted by 88GT 5pt0
Can someone please explain to me how to powershift with an AOD
That's pretty funny. The automatic transmission does the shifting for you...so your foot is always planted to the floor (I hope) when racing. You can only powershift a manual trans. Which is shifting very quickly while not lifting off of the gas at all.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
88GT 5pt0
Registered Member

I dunno everyone around here talks about powershiftng. My buddy is the one with the AOD and everytime he races people ask me, "Does he know how to powershift?"
Old 08-06-2003, 06:54 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally posted by 88GT 5pt0
I dunno everyone around here talks about powershiftng. My buddy is the one with the AOD and everytime he races people ask me, "Does he know how to powershift?"

So now you can tell them, "No, it's an automatic!"
Old 08-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yup. No such thing as powershifting an AOD. Maybe they think he has a 5-speed?

Anyway, there is such a thing as the 1-D-1 Shuffle in an AOD. People use it to be able to hold second gear. Many people say it will burn your tranny up, others have used it without any problems. I use to use it on rare occasion when racing.

The problem with a stock AOD is that it is inconsistant in the way it shifts, even with the 1-D-1 shuffle. A shift kit helps, but I still had problems until I put in the Lentech valve body. Now it shifts like a dream.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

yeah like the last guy said , it isnt POWER shifting but you can make the tranny shift when you want it to but manualy shifting the automatic.. though the stock AOD is kinda mushy with the shifts if you got a shift kit it would shift quicker and firmer and make the whole process more effective... though with my AOD and a shift kit my car chirps the tires shifting into second... I dont really both manualy shifting. The shift kit is "programmed" to shift at certain points get the one that suits you best
-as
Old 08-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #8
'89GTStang
Registered Member

I belive most newer transmissions are electronically controlled which means the shift kit can't effect when it shifts just how hard it shifts. The computer tells the transmission when to shift.

but I don't know when they started going to electronic shifting on the aod's.
K&N, Twisted Wedge heads, TFS intake,FMS 1.7 rockers, Trick Flow stage 1 cam(221*/225* .530in\.542in) , 3.73's, headers, off road H-pipe, Flowmasters, FMS Clutch, Tremec, PRO-5.0, FMS driveshaft, fluidyne alum. radiator, and more to come.
'89GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I do believe the last year for the non-electric AOD was 1993 with the newer trannies starting in 1994.

Anyway, the Lentech VB I run changes the shift pattern from 1-2/3-OD to 1-2-3/electronic OD. You just flip a switch for OD. Full manual or automatic shifting. It's the best way to go, IMO, if you want to run an AOD.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
chiaronate
Registered Member

hey nathan, does that valve body do the same thing as the 1st-2nd-1st shuffle does, or is it different?
chiaronate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Best way to go with a auto is to get a manule valve body. I put one in my 69 c-6 and it made all the difference in the world. I have a performance automatic manule vavle body to put into my 91 aod car. You shift the car at whatever rpm you want to for 1-2-3 then you flip a switch to go into overdirve. I can't wait to get it into the car i know it will make a huge difference.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:38 PM   #12
MATTKNIGHT
Registered Member

Default A little info on this....

I owned an auto 89 GT and I know from personal experience that you can control the shifting of the aod a little. I know that you can make the trans lock into 1st gear by pulling the the shifter all the way to the rear (2nd) and then pushing it back into drive and slamming it back into 2nd quickly. The car will shift down into first and lock there until you shift it back into 2. When its locked in first you can stage and prepare to launch. when you launch the transmission WILL NOT shift into second without you actually shifting it into 2nd. From there you can shift it into drive, and if necessary into OD. The only time it will change gears automatically is when you shift into drive, from there it will act normally unless you repeat the sequence above. I only used the method above when I ran my car at the track. I know that this was the case for both my own and my friends 93 gt. I dont know if I would classify this as a "power shift", but you can control the shift point from 1st to 2nd. My car would hit second hard enough to break the rear tires for 10 ft. It was good enough for me, untill I got my 5 speed 95 gt!

Hope this helps.
Matt
Old 10-21-2003, 07:42 PM   #13
chiaronate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 69fastback
Best way to go with a auto is to get a manule valve body. I put one in my 69 c-6 and it made all the difference in the world. I have a performance automatic manule vavle body to put into my 91 aod car. You shift the car at whatever rpm you want to for 1-2-3 then you flip a switch to go into overdirve. I can't wait to get it into the car i know it will make a huge difference.
hey 69fastback, where do you get the manual valve body from new, and how much does it cost? without the manual valve body, in what shifter position are two gears shared, 1st, 2nd, or drive? the aode being a 4-speed with overdrive, i don't know where the other gear is hiding.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:58 PM   #14
chiaronate
Registered Member

Default Re: A little info on this....

you can make the trans lock into 1st gear by pulling the shifter all the way to the rear (2nd) and then pushing it back into drive and slamming it back into 2nd quickly. The car will shift down into first and lock there until you shift it back into 2.

mattknight, i'm confused. are you saying that if i start with the shifter in 2nd, then shift into drive and immediately shift back into 2nd, i will be in 1st gear, with the indicator on 2nd? it seems to me like it would be alot easier to just have a 5-speed put in. maybe next year.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 PM   #15
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I think he was trying to explain teh AOD shuffle... I'll try it my way
These are the steps in order and what happens.. this is assuming yoru shifter reads, 1, D, OD.

SHIFTER IN 1
REV TO WHATEVER YOU WANT AND LAUNCH
SHIFT TO D (at whatever RPM you choose)
SHIFT BACK TO 1 (this needs to be done right after your shift into 2, This will not shift you back into 1 but will keep the tranny from shifting into 3)
SHIFT TO D (at whatever RPM you choose. This will make the tranny shift into third since it's the next gear in the sequence)

At this point you're in 3rd gear.. if you want you can put it to OD and get that OD gear.. but it's not good for drag racing... you should be at the end of the track by the time your get to the redline at the top of 3rd...

Does that make sense?
-as
Old 10-22-2003, 01:20 AM   #16
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Isnt that ruff on the trans??
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #17
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

That's the eternal debate. From what I can gather, it can be harmful on the tranny. Some people blow their tranny the first time they try it. Others do it for years and never have a problem. Anyway, you decide if it's worth the risk. I've used it in the past for racing, but it was still inconsistant, even with the shift kit. The full custom vb is the best way to go.

--nathan

Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM   #18
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by silver_pilate
That's the eternal debate. From what I can gather, it can be harmful on the tranny. Some people blow their tranny the first time they try it. Others do it for years and never have a problem. Anyway, you decide if it's worth the risk. I've used it in the past for racing, but it was still inconsistant, even with the shift kit. The full custom vb is the best way to go.

--nathan
Exactly what he said! On a stock AOD that has never seen a rebuild with it's fair share of abuse, then manually shifting might not be a good idea. Now I manually shift my AOD daily, and have been for the 2 1/2 years I have had it in my car, with no problems what so ever. I got the tranny used with 20k miles already on it, but it had an excellent rebuild by the previous owner. No shift kit, and shifts very firm, much firmer then stock, but it is still lazy. And like stated above, the only way to cure the lazy shifts is to go with a manual VB like a Lentech. Oh and the AOD-E in 94 is when the tranny's became electronically shifted.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #19
crazypete
Registered Member

So as long as there's a fresh AOD thread running, I'll post my question here instead of opening a new thread but:

Does the redline synthetic make enough of a difference to justify the absurd cost of ...8?... quarts to fill up an AOD? I'm installing it and I have this feeling that I'll need to drain it at least once and tweak it before it will work porperly. What should I be filling it with? ATF of mercronII? it's an 87 non electronic AOD.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #20
MATTKNIGHT
Registered Member

Default Yeah kinda ....

Yeah, kinda what he said. Only difference was that my car didnt have a 1st gear setting. It was OD, D, 2. The process isnt difficult, just put the gear lever in two, push it up to D and slam it back into 2. This put my car into first gear, and would hold it there untill you shift out of it. My car would shift too early and this was the way that I prevented it. So basically like the guy above my said, only not really!!

Sorry if I confused every one, I am not the best at describing my actions... I'm sure you all will forgive.

Matt