MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2003, 12:24 AM   #1
slow98
Registered Member

Post i cant get this damn thing to hook

i keep pulling some horrible 60' times best i got last friday was like 2.12 i need to hook.... i also spin like hell when i hit second i just got no tire which should be pretty soft they are z rated falkens and damn do they suck...please any pointers would be greatly appreciate and any mods to help the launch on street tires please let me know about em...lower control arms?uppers?
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Buy 2 old rims and some slicks.

Trust me,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
Or at least some drag radials...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
slow98
Registered Member

that would be nice....but i dont think my tranny or my clutch could handle it....thats why im tryin to get it to hook decent with the tires i got....plus ive got nothing to haul slicks and an air tank to the track with.....do control arms help at all?
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
Old 07-17-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Control arms help some, but if you want any chance of hooking on street tires you will need to get drag springs and dampers, which will compromise handling if that is important to you. Are you removing your front swaybar when you go to the track?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
sedanman
Registered Member

Just slide the clutch and don't hit the bottle tell after the tires hook in 2nd.

Oh as for traction problems, last time I was at the track I trapped 94 in the eight and I was sideways.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
ac97gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh as for traction problems, last time I was at the track I trapped 94 in the eight and I was sideways.
haha! ... as dangerous and not effecient as that is, its still awesome. i either have really good tires (BFG h rated drag radials) or my car has a serious power issue (probably the cause) but i cant spin at all unless i dump the clutch, or im in a turn. lol, i need to at least get gears soon. not that i want to wear my tires out and have traction problems, but its nice to think you have enough power to break the rear end loose.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
slow98
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sedanman
Just slide the clutch and don't hit the bottle tell after the tires hook in 2nd.

i no longer have the bottle...figured i needed my engine to stay in one piece at least until my car is payed off lol...whats a good tire pressure to run at the track on z rated street tires? and no i dont ever take the front sway bar off does that help anything other than reducing weight?and i run with usually less than a 1/4 tank of gas to save on weight does the help more for et or cost you more with the loss of traction?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:51 PM   #9
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by sedanman
Just slide the clutch....
Agreed.

What is your technique for launching? What rpm are you at? How fast do you let the clutch out?

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 12:51 AM   #10
slow98
Registered Member

Post got it

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
Agreed.

What is your technique for launching? What rpm are you at? How fast do you let the clutch out?
i got the launch down pat now.....pulled a couple of 1.9s tonight....what i did was hold it a about 2k rpm and ride the clutch out as i push the gas to the floor kind of in sequence in a way clutch goes out while the gas pedal goes in gradual but not to gradual....works great....now im debating on wether or not to power shift next time im at the track
Old 07-19-2003, 07:02 AM   #11
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0

Trust me,
yup, and dont worry about hauling slicks, just buy some e.t. streets and drive them to the track, just drive careful, have them at about 30 psi, drop them to 15 when you get to the track, dont worry about your t-5, it will break eventually anyways, with, or without sticky rubber
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:40 PM   #12
99gtcouple
Registered Member

If you don't want to use slicks try better street tires. I suggest Toyo T1-S or Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang.jpg (8.4 KB, 44 views)
99gtcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:48 PM   #13
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Removing the front swaybar allows for better weight transfer on the launch to plant the rear tires better. The weight loss is almost inconsequential.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:21 PM   #14
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Removing the swaybar is worth about a tenth. Get some Nitto's too if you want a good street/strip tire. Your clutch won't last long riding it out the way you are, so I would just wait and get a good clutch. Then some slicks.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:31 AM   #15
slow98
Registered Member

im seriously considering the steeda lower control arm i just dont think that for the money they are gonna improve my 60's all that much...i also kinda want my car to run good the way i drive it every day. i went to bristol dragway last night for the thursday night street fights...first time ever runnin down the 1/4...my 60' were pretty bad and my times were even worse. the best time i could pull was like a 14.8 @ 94 with a 2.23 60' but i only got to run twice it was so packed by the time i got there but i did have fun... i saw a guy with a 01 i think blow his stock engine up with a 200 shot yes a 200 shot..was anybody down there? it was a silver gt with bullet wheels...i felt bad for the guy but i think its pretty much common sense a 200 shot and a stock 4.6 dont mix
Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #16
Simi Stang

Default slicks

Quote:
Originally posted by slow98
that would be nice....but i dont think my tranny or my clutch could handle it....thats why im tryin to get it to hook decent with the tires i got....plus ive got nothing to haul slicks and an air tank to the track with.....do control arms help at all?
You'd be surprised how stout the stock tranny and rearend is on your car. Yours could easily handle some sticky tires. There are tons of guys on here running drag radials, MT ET streets or full drag slicks with stock trannys and rears. I've been running slicks w/ stock tranny, rearend & axles for years now with no problems...and I'm producing more power than you. My mods are in my sig. I launch on motor at 6,000 rpms with the slicks because any lower than that and I'll jump out of the hole and bog for a bit, because of the powerband of my motor is different than stock now. I launch at 5,000 rpms with the nitrous...and that's using the juice from a dead stop. Are the '98 trannys different from the '87-'93 T5s? If so, I can't imagine Ford making them weaker. I see tons of Mustangs at the track running slicks with stock trannys...all the way from '82-the present Mustangs. As far as no room for an air tanks, slicks & a jack...aren't the '98 GTs still hatch backs? Or do they just have a trunk? Either way you can cram them in there...even if you have to put them in your back seat, lol. I used to do that before I got a trailer & a truck to pull my stang. Or just have a friend with a pick up truck follow you to the track with the stuff in his truck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: