View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #16
Simi Stang

Default slicks

Quote:
Originally posted by slow98
that would be nice....but i dont think my tranny or my clutch could handle it....thats why im tryin to get it to hook decent with the tires i got....plus ive got nothing to haul slicks and an air tank to the track with.....do control arms help at all?
You'd be surprised how stout the stock tranny and rearend is on your car. Yours could easily handle some sticky tires. There are tons of guys on here running drag radials, MT ET streets or full drag slicks with stock trannys and rears. I've been running slicks w/ stock tranny, rearend & axles for years now with no problems...and I'm producing more power than you. My mods are in my sig. I launch on motor at 6,000 rpms with the slicks because any lower than that and I'll jump out of the hole and bog for a bit, because of the powerband of my motor is different than stock now. I launch at 5,000 rpms with the nitrous...and that's using the juice from a dead stop. Are the '98 trannys different from the '87-'93 T5s? If so, I can't imagine Ford making them weaker. I see tons of Mustangs at the track running slicks with stock trannys...all the way from '82-the present Mustangs. As far as no room for an air tanks, slicks & a jack...aren't the '98 GTs still hatch backs? Or do they just have a trunk? Either way you can cram them in there...even if you have to put them in your back seat, lol. I used to do that before I got a trailer & a truck to pull my stang. Or just have a friend with a pick up truck follow you to the track with the stuff in his truck.