MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-21-2004, 02:20 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Default And I did it with no traction! LS-1 Vs GT

After a long 3 days of cruising, trying to get the engine broke in before Saturday, and also trying to get re-aquainted with the car, It happened. My first Race, a very formimable oponent. A modded 2002 WS-6 Trans AM.

See, from my days of cruising there are several things that have been learned. Here are 4.

1. It is only retarded to think that I'll get traction in first gear...Ever.

2. Its pointless to even hope for a bit of traction in second gear. Anything near, or over 80-85 % throttle breaks the rear tires loose at any RPM other than like Zero. You can start out in second, as soon as you hit 2500.....Wham...Your spinning.

3. It needs a complete suspension.....Like Now (I'm working on it), before I even consider the P-51 intake....Oh, and tires also..Needs them like now also.

4. Its hard waiting a few more days to ring it all the way up to 6900 RPM.

Okay, so here's the deal.

I'm driving along Raeford Rd, minding my own bussiness, enjoying the bellow emmitting from the dumps, happy...all is right in the world. I notice a set of head lights, and low, close, big fog lights approaching fast....Ahh....a FireBird.....Muuuaaahahahahhaaha *Evil Laugh*

It blows by me, but not before I noticed the nostrils on the hood, and the WS-6 badge on the back....Muuuahahahahahaaa.

It Revs, and gooses it several times after he slows down and rides along by my side. The light turn red up a head. Its a long light so I knew we'd catch it. Yep...We did.

The window rolls down, and its a guy i know. His passenger is gawking at the GT then asks "What the F*** is that??!!". The driver (which I knew) said..."Ahhh....Dude.....your not stock anymore are you?".

"Ummmmm....Yeah....Stock as can be, even the stock air filter and intake tube." (Which that part was true) I yell over as my car rocks intune with the cams. His response is "Yeah, sure. Hey, whats it run?" My response is...a shrug of the shoulders.

"So, you wanna run?" he asks. "Dude, I need suspension...All I'll do is spin...Your gonna win". I holler back.

"Might as well give it a try dude. Gives me the chance to chalk up one more kill anyway."

Well, I wasnt going to race. The light turned green, and he spun and took off. Okay...Now this is where attention to detail is needed while reading...

He nailed it right off the line and was about 2.5-3 car lengths ahead when I decided to try it. I was arleady in second gear when the thought crossed my mind...at 2000 RPM..I Hit it....Spin...Let off...Give it 80 percent...Spin again..Said screw it, hit third Gear, Nailed it.

During my spinning episode, He had gained another car on me. By the time I said "F"it and hit 3rd, he was about 3.5 cars ahead. At first I match his speed, and around 3000 RPM...I start pulling....As The R's get higher....I start flying...I mean this things is just MEAN.

To make a long story short, by the time I hit 6000 RPM my car had pulled up next to him and was blowing by him pretty dam quick when he nails the brakes. Probably rang it up to 6300...Never felt it begin to noose over.

I get on them also and follow him into Reed Lialer Chevrolet. He jumps out of the car runs over and Yells "God Dam dude! What the hell do you under the hood??!!" Then his friend asks..."As that a big block?"

I couldnt help but smile and feel a bit smug. "Nope, just a 281 2 valve." His immediate reply was "How much boost you running?".

None. (Truth) "No spray either" (Truth Again)

They asked me to poop the hood. I didnt. We talked for a few minutes, he told me/showed me, his Lid, and headers, pointed towards his rear axle and said he had gears also. We then talked about the race. He couldnt believe how quick I pulled him back in. What amazes me is, I didnt even use first, spun all through second, and still caught and passed him...after he got a 2.5 car length lead.

I cant wait to get some supsension and tires under the beast to see what she does at the track...Oh my god. Now I'm not sure if my clutch will hold up.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #2
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Sounds like someone needs a pair of DR's on the back!!

Good Kill. I can't wait to hear some track #'s!

I'm just curious.......Stroker?!?

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Nope, 3.5in stroke with a 3.5 bore...

Okay, Now that I think about it...It was more like the furthest he got was probably 3 cars ahead...I smoked a cigarette, had a beer, calmed down, and replayed it in my head.

Either way, I wasnt hooking at all, short shifting, and still passed him after he got a really good bit ahead of me.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

whatever, everyone knows it's impossable to get a 4.6 to go that fast N/A. You need pushrods to go fast all motor

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
whatever, everyone knows it's impossable to get a 4.6 to go that fast N/A. You need pushrods to go fast all motor

-Josh, aka the tireburner
I know you were joking but around here that statement is true.

5.0's and LS1's are the fast cars where I race. 4.6's especially 2 valves normally end up racing each other cause they know better.

I do get to watch 2 of the coolest 4.6's around race though, there is a turbo charged mach1 that was just in a mag that runs 11.8 @118 @ 8psi.....................and a 99 cobra with some juice and a totaly built engine and suspension that runs a 10.77 @123 on the juice and a low 12 off it.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
scsmooth
Registered Member

nice kill
scsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Awesome story. Man, if I were a rich guy, i'd send you a pair if BFG drag radials for that beast.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:04 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

G-tech it and let us know
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Theres a dyno place in Raliegh for 50 dollars you get 3 pulls. I plan on going up there with a few friends. I'll let you all know what the outcome is.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: