MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Rude People at Work...Should I Quit??

Man!! I just GOTTA vent about my new job

As some of you may know, I just moved to the Jersey shore from Southwest Viriginia. Now of course, NJ people are NOTORIOUS for being selfish, rude drivers...but as I am learning, this is the way many of them are ALL THE TIME!!

Of course, I needed a job to sastify my Mustang habit so I started working at the local Pep Boys, and after working there 3 weeks, I dunno who is more rude, my co workers, or the customers!! The customers are always in a bad mood, always in a rush, and the employees all hate each other, and the new manager too. For making $8/hour, its the highest stress environment I've worked in for as long as I can remember!

When I was on cashier duty last week, this dude with a bandanna over his face comes into the store...I was relieved to discover that he was NOT planning to rob me, but furious when he took his little girl and threw her in my register booth until she started screaming and crying (btw, this was all because she wanted GUM)...twice...and HARD Once he left, I walked over to the asst. manager and gave him my 2 weeks. When I came to work on Monday, I promised to reconsider and give it another shot, at the request of 2 managers.

So here is my predicament...should I just quit? None of the other employees give a damn, in fact some have expressed surprise that I actually WORK for my pay...one ghetto *** chick already hates me because I grumbled about the flirting comments and sexually explicit things she says to customers, and the customers themselves, ugh...

What should I do??? I hate to give up so early, but I don't even really feel safe or happy when I go to work...do ya'll think its time to throw in the towel?
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 10:19 AM   #2
gt lee

Dear Belle, as much as I hate to admit, I am from NJ. I left there in 1978 and that was the best thing that could have happened to me. I will say I still have friends there, and you are so right they are the most ABNOTGUIOUS s/p wrong people. Thankfully I was brought up different. There are some good people there, but they are hard to find.
Hate to tell you but I think you will have to look around for a job first before you leave there if money is a problem. If not leave and go looking. Be picky. You can find another job but look around first.
I wish you luck, hey what area are you in there, I was born in Camden, lived in the Browns Mill area for a long time. Do what you feel is right. Will be thinking of you and wishing you luck. Odie
Old 06-23-2002, 11:46 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

How many New Jersey people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? One. They just stand there and wait for the world to revolve around them.

Seriously, my corporate HQ is in Newark, NJ. I work in the home office Minneapolis, MN location. (Technically Plymouth, MN).

They were very hard to get to know. Now that I have an "in" they are good people to me. Thing is, I'm talking about executives, and upper level division management of a company with 21 billion in liquid assets.

From the people I know who've come from the East Coast states in general, they say the work ethic sucks (at lower level positions, anyway.) They have the attitude that they can go anywhere else, anytime, and make their $8/hr. The people aren't jerks by their standards, just by reasonable people's standards. You pretty much follow the social patterns you are raised with, and by our standards, they were raised to be jerks.

My true belief is that you should expect the same kind of people wherever you choose to work, so long as you're not scoring a higher level management position.

The situation is slightly more complicated now, though. If you choose to return
  1. They may treat you worse because they don't think you have the nerve to quit
  2. They may treat you better for a little while trying to keep you on.
  3. You will more than likely obtain the "whiner" classification from other employee's.
  4. They may hold a vendetta against you and hire a new person, train them in, and fire you for an unjust reason. (Seen this happen to many people, including myself)
  5. You may be more recognized for your contributions, and continue to receive better treatment.
  6. You might have the capability of using the experience as a bargaining chip.

Auto parts places stink for work environment, even here. Turnover is quite high, and pay is low. Still, it's a lot nicer to have a job, and switch, than to outright start looking when you have bills to pay. Personally, I'd probably look for an entry level office position, and then leave Pep-Boys for a stiff increase in pay, and a better work environment.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb New Jersey ain't Virginia

Quit the stupid job!

You state that you're unhappy at work, even a tad frightened, have a lot of trouble tolerating both employees and customers - all of whom you claim act like jerks - and you're wondering if you should stick around? For what? $8. per hour and all the advancement potential? Really? No, didn't think so. Quit, ASAP and I advise you to never quit and relent unless it involves a raise and/or promotion to stay.

As for the New Jersey people; yeah, it's basically the 'New Yawk' attitutude ('screw you, Jack') and that won't change much unless you relocate back to the south or possibly the midwest.

It should be mentioned that you're working in a mostly blue collar environment and aren't likely to meet the cream of the N. J. humanity crop at Pep Boys - or any other mass-merchandise auto parts store.

Try working at an upscale department store (for the same money, crappy hours, etc) and you may encounter a 'better' type of customer. They'll still be from N.J., probably still a bit rude but at least better dressed. New Jersey isn't the south, as you know know.

I grew up in the Manhattan suburbs and I'm totally familiar with the New Yawk attitude and can handle it just fine but someone from a more genteel part of the country with no experience in this kind of rude behavior as a norm will not be happy. That would be you.

Quit.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
PKRWUD

I also moved from New Jersey in 1978, but I don't remember it as being that bad, but I was only 12. I do remember the N.J. public schools as being among the best anywhere, but that's not what you're asking. I agree with Jim, and think you should quit. Screw it. You do have other options, and it's time to explore them. Get a job at the shore, if there are any left. I had friends that I kept in touch with for years after I moved away, and they always headed to the shore for the summer, and got some simple job on the boardwalk. It wasn't going to make them rich, but they loved the atmosphere.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

sorry to hear this belle, but welcome to yankee land, they make fun of us southerners, but they are the rudest people on earth, not all of them , but 99.9 percent, we hate it when they come down here like they are god , hurry up you dumb hillbilly, ok yeah im hurrying, as i slow down a whole lot more, hahaha, i usually ask the rude one's, you want to know which way is north? heheh, sorry you have to go through it, but, you may as well get used to it. thats why i stay below ky

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:25 AM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I straight up dont let anyone at my job attempt to push me around. As long as your getting done what needs to be done they shouldnt have a problem with it.

I believe that if you dred going into work or just really hate what your are doing then Yes you should quit. Although most jobs suck you really should find one that you like alot. If not you'll be miserable until you do. I have found that out myself. Once you find a job you like then you'll feel alot better and have a more positive attitude and overall just be happier!

MustangBelle I know how you feel and trust me good jobs can be hard to find I wish you the best of luck finding one you like.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:35 AM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. Matt told me from the 1st day I came home upset that I should quit, but when I had jobs in high school I moved around quickly, usually only spending 3-6 months at a job...so I guess I didn't want to bail out so quickly on this one too. I worked almost straight through at dealerships, which are TERRIBLE places to work and the turnover rate of employess is astronomical

I already typed up my formal letter of resignation (last manager just clocked out and left, so they'll probably be surprised about this too!) and I'm going to turn it in when I go to work today at 1pm. Hell, they were downright shocked on my first day when I brought in a computerized schedule of my availability for the next 2 months...and they STILL got the schedule wrong, putting me down for work when I have class So its definetely time to find a place that will actually (even somewhat) appreciate the effort I'm willing to put forth...

Thanks again for all the helpful comments

Belle
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:49 PM   #9
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

You are right in quitting, Belle. There is no need to be that unhappy going to work everyday just for $8/hour. Good luck in finding a new job!!

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:54 PM   #10
Coupe Devil

So Elisha waht did they say? Suprised, relieved what did they do?? Good luck finding a new job. I know you'll woirk hard at whatever, yo ujsut gotta find some place that will work with you.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:58 PM   #11
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I have to say PEPBoys is the worst for help around here. I know I would quit. I suggest you do too. A department store like Mr 5.0 said I think would be a much more friendly work environment.

good luck

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:45 PM   #12
rbatson

With only 3 weeks invested, I wouldn't even think twice about it. As far as scheduling you wrong, I don't know but it sounds like something a big headed manager might do on purpose.

Have you checked out FedEx air? That would be a great place to work.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:54 PM   #13
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Ive worked at a dealership before as a receptionist. I had quit because most of the salespeople, detailers etc were all male and they always made sexual comments about the female workers. It was a cool job because sometimes you got to drive the cars LOL
Old 06-25-2002, 12:23 AM   #14
srv1
Get down.....

Question u southerns aint nuttin but rednecks with p/utrucks listening to Charlie Daniels Band

j/k!!!

welcome to the North Belle! hehe! not everyone is like that up here! its just a way of living. i say quit! find another place. some quirks you are just going to have to put up with. it goes with the area. why dont you work at a dealership? you got the mad skillz to pay da' bills, so i dont see why you cant suceed anywhere else.

Crazy, i dont think you are a dumb hillbilly! ....your just sore cause we won the war.....
Old 06-25-2002, 12:36 AM   #15
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

srv1 bwahahahaha, we were outnumbered, starving & had the best general's, ya'll won because lee lost his mind, at gettysburg, hell at chancerlersville s/p we took 20,000 & spanked 60,000, heheh, , won my azz. just jokin with ya, i wasnt alive then, but im married to a jersey gal, i went there once, when a state trooper put a 357 mag in my temple , i said , never again. ---

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-25-2002, 12:39 AM   #16
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
i went there once, when a state trooper put a 357 mag in my temple , i said , never again. ---
Man, I hate it when that happens!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 06-25-2002, 12:45 AM   #17
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

uh yeah it wasnt fun, i knew i was doing a little over the speed limit, but, when i heard click , he searched me , my car & told me he was sorry, someone in a 2 tone car, with out of state tag's had killed someone, i told him, it wasnt me, he left & i had a dark wet warm spot on the front of my jeans, hahahaha

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-25-2002, 12:48 AM   #18
PKRWUD

Men with guns excite you, Marty???

Take care,
-Chris

Hey, have you checked out my video yet???
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 06-25-2002, 01:04 AM   #19
The Deuce
Registered Member

SRV1,
There ain't nothing wrong with Charlie Daniels. Well, except the fact that he sings about drivin them Chevrolets. Other than that I find his songs hillarious.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 01:08 AM   #20
The Deuce
Registered Member

I totally forgot this thread was about Belle quitting. Good choice, I'd have been out the door the day that guy with a bandana came in. Managers don't care if you are in school, a lesson I learned working at Home Depot. After the tenth time they scheduled me during a class I had, I just no showed. They got the picture after that.
Try getting a job in a field related to your major. They are usually more accomidating to your studying to be more like them. Its an ego thing for the boss really. Best of luck. You could always drag Matt back under the mason dixon if things get too bad.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote