MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2001, 06:45 PM   #1
92Rustang
Registered Member

Question Jeep help

I installed a new oil pump in a 4.0 jeep today. Everything went smooth, until I started the jeep. No oil pressure?? I pulled the distributor and check to see that the shaft was connecting and it was, I can spin the oil pump freely. I let the thing run for about 3 minutes and no pressure. I pulled the oil filter and not a drop. How could I have screwed this up. Bad pump?? Do I need to let it run longer? This is the first jeep I have ever worked on, but they can't be that different. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help

------------------
Check my site for mod
www.fordmustanggt.com
92Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 06:54 PM   #2
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I am not for sure why it isnt working but it shouldnt take but a few seconds for the oil pressure to shoot right up. Dont let it run very long without oil pressure or you can ruin your bearrings! Then it would be time for a rebuild.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 11:08 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Use a drill to spin the pump shaft,look for oil in the filter. A part store should have the adapter for the drill. DO NOT START UNTIL YOU SEE OIL.

I always pack grease in the pump to prime it.

Distributor bottom OK? Stripped out? Pump shaft may not be long enough. Compare at part store.

[This message has been edited by mustangII460 (edited 04-10-2001).]
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 01:00 AM   #4
92Rustang
Registered Member

Distributor bottom OK? Stripped out? Pump shaft may not be long enough.

Yes I we checked all of these nothing is stripped the shaft is long enough and the dis looked great. We did not prime the pump or pack grease in it. We left it run for so long to let the pump fill. I guess we'll try and prime it tomorrow. I know your going to have and pull this thing apart again SUCKS.

------------------
Check my site for mod
www.fordmustanggt.com
92Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:59 PM   #5
88GT5.013.02

Is the guage working properly, did you knock the sending unit wire off on accident? You should always prime an oil pump before bolting it up. Does the motor knock or tick? If it doesn't I would assume the guage is faulty or the sending unit wire has been knocked off.