View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 02:33 AM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: I hate local cops

Yes, you can control yourself and avoid driving 125mph. You can control the urge even better by purchasing a Ford Explorer with a V6 like I did. I don't know if it would do 125mph off a cliff. I can't fault your logic regarding speed vs the ability to react to problems or the fact that driving 125mph is inherently more dangerous than driving 55mph. How much more dangerous is debatable based on the conditions, driver, and vehicle.

While it may be true that the speed limit is 55 at night in Texas (it was the last time I rolled through on the road trip to Phoenix) that doesn't necessarily mean the true safe driving speed for all vehicles is 55mph. There are places around here in Minnesota that have a 30mph speed limit despite having no residential driveways connecting to the road, and the road being divided by a concrete median with 4 lanes of traffic.

It's been indicated that reckless driving is an offense for which you are arrested in Texas. It comes in two separate, but considered generally equal forms in Minnesota. Careless and Reckless. Much like DUI vs DWI. Anyway, I digress. I would agree that based on reckless being an arrestable offense, I would have expected him to have a ride to jail in the back of a police cruiser.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote