MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
SoulKeeper
Registered Member

Default Pinging or knocking in my 2000 GT 4.6L

Hello. I have a 2000 GT Mustang 4.6L. I bought the car with the following mods: Chrome Air Induction w/ K&N Air Filter, Flowmasters, 70MM T.B.I have had the car about 8 months. I have replaced the Flowmasters with Spin Tech Mufflers, pullies, H-Pipe. Just a few days ago I noticed the car starting to ping or knock when I give it gas around 1500 to 2000 RPMS then is a steady noise when I punch it. I use 94 octane from Sonoco or Exxon gas. Always have. I changed the oil today and drove it around and the pinging or knocking was stil there. I opened the hood and up by the T.B. you can give the car gas by the throttle body. I did that and can feel the pinging or knocking when I give the car gas. I do race the car just like every other Mustang owner does. Any help would be greatly appricated in dealing with this noise my car has now aquired. Thank you.
SoulKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

pinging or knock is usuaualy related to a timing problems or bad fuel. does the car have a timing adjuster or chip and does it do it in all the gears or just one ? mines does it in 5th under 1500 rpm if it`s real bad don`t drive the car it sounds like detonation and can destroy the engine.have it checked epsecilay if you can feel it in the engine compartment
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
SoulKeeper
Registered Member

It makes the noise in all gears. No chip or timing adjuster. I can feel it in the engine compartment when I rev the engine under the hood. Bad spark plug wires maybe? If I have to I will take it to my performance shop to get checked out. Will most likely tow it there cause I would rather tow it than have the car blow up. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:11 AM   #4
stangt00
Registered Member

Well, it almost sounds to me like you may need one then (T/A or Chip). Is the H-pipe catted or non? It has always been told to me that when you start modding things, specially with air and fuel, you need to have the computer calibrated for it. 1. it will give you the most HP for your mods, 2. it will make sure the car runs properly for your setup. Good luck.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

'99+ GT's don't have plug wires.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
93GTDIN
Registered Member

are you sure what you are hearing is a ping? If you can hear it in neutral, it's probably not a ping, unless you got some very very bad gas.

The reason I say this is that in neutral, IE when you're under the hood of your car, revving it at the throttle body, there is almost no load on the engine, and shouldn't ping.

If it gets worse under load (IE up a hill, flooring it in 5th at 45mph) it may be a ping, in which case, stop driving the car. If it is constant under all conditions, chances are its not a ping.

Better safe than sorry, have it checked out.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:15 PM   #7
SoulKeeper
Registered Member

Also 1 thing I forgot to mention but just thought of is that I added a bottle of OutLaw Octane Booster on a quarter tank of gas. I was told I could have fried my O2 sensors. I filled the car up with gas but the noice is still there. Pinging or knocking. I was also told to get 2 new sensors for the front cause I have the 2 bypass sensors in the rear of the h - pipe. But i'm not getting a check engine light.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

It sounds like a mechanical problem to me. Maybe a lifter or rocker is messed up.

With your mods your car should run just fine.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:54 PM   #9
93GTDIN
Registered Member

friends dont let friends use octane booster on a stock motor. Octane booster is for ricers.

It's actually kind of funny, if you look at the bottle they say "RAISE OCTANE 10 POINTS" and then in fine print at the bottom it reads "1 octane point = .1 octane" so a bottle of that $8 crap raises your octane 1 point. bunch of thieves.

I would agree, your problem does not sound like a "pink or knock"

is the noise sporadic or rhythmic?

and here's the kicker:

does it get worse UNDER LOAD?

simple questions, come on.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
93GTDIN
Registered Member

Dark 5.0: What does your 01 cobra run?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #11
SoulKeeper
Registered Member

The car doesnt do it when idling. Only when I rev the engine either by the pedle or the T.B. If I punch the engine, it doesnt do it as badly as when I slowly rev the engine. When I rev it using the T.B. I can feel the pinging or knocking in the T.B. the vibrations. I dont drive the car now that its making this noise. If I cant fix it myself then I will be towing it to my performance shop to be worked on. I need to know what to fix. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Chrome Air Induction W/ K&N Air Filter
Pulleys
Old 03-27-2003, 11:16 PM   #12
Shaggy
Registered Member

Here is my best guess based on the info out there.... Exhaust leak. My guess is that some where along the egr tube(not sure how they are routed on the 99+) if you can feal it in the throttle body while you are revving it. A minor exhaust lak may not make any noise at idle but can get really loud as more exhaust gasses are sent through it ie: revving it up.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:01 AM   #13
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Doesn't sound like ping to me.

Unless you have advanced timing, stay away from Higher octane fuels. You're going to have carbon build up.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:06 PM   #14
chico
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
Doesn't sound like ping to me.

Unless you have advanced timing, stay away from Higher octane fuels. You're goin

g to have carbon build up.
Higher octane burns slower and produces less HP, unless you have the advance and a/f ratio to accomidate the higher octane...Stay away from those so called octane boosters..You might consider Torco fuel accelerator one 32 oz. can in 10 gal of 93 octane wil give you 104 octane..

Best recommendaation....get to a dyno quickly and have your timing an a/f ratio set to your mods..normally with your posted mods , you shouldn't get pinging (detonation)....stay out of the throttle for now...good luck.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #15
SoulKeeper
Registered Member

I know that now. I need to know what is wrong with the car. Could I have fried my O2 sensors? Also I am going to call Ford and see if I still have a warrenty on the car. If so, well then Ford can fix it. Also, what should be my next mod be done to the car? Also was on a mjor highway and raced what looked like a 2000 Corba. Wide open. I expected him to beat me but I was behind him and wasnt gaining on him nor was he pulling away from me. Topped out at 150+ before I backed off. He wouldnt let me get beside him so I raced him from the back.
Chrome Air Induction W/ K&N Air Filter
Pulleys
Old 03-31-2003, 09:54 AM   #16
machamp
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my 1996 GT. It was pinning during acleration, especially if I had the AC on. Bottom line: Went to a higher Octane (Premium) from BP and never had a problem with pinging again.
machamp is offline   Reply With Quote