MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
2KGtStang
Registered Member

Angry 2000 Mustang GT Automatic Transmission Problem

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2000 Ford Mustang GT, Automatic. It's been my "baby" and at just under 4 years of age, has only 24,700 miles on it. Last week I noticed a loud "whistling" sound coming from the car, and the dealership where I purchased the car brand new has determined it is a transmission problem. To what extent the problem is is not yet determined, but they politely reminded me that my car is no longer under warranty...but perhaps Ford would help with the potential hefty repair cost being that the car is so low in miles.

Has anyone else had any similar problems? Is it just me or is this disturbing considering the mileage and age of the car? I don't drive like an Indy race car driver, nor do I drive as slow as molasses. I'd think these cars would be built tougher than the average auto on the road these days. I've never had a problem with the car, this is the first. Thanks!
2KGtStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Do you have any more of a description of the problem other then a "whistling?" Does it drive normal? Problems shifting?
The 4R70W is a great trans. The only thing that usually kills them when the car is stock is excessive heat. Thats solved with a transmission cooler and changing the fluid every 12-20K miles.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
2KGtStang
Registered Member

The car drives normal as always--no strange idling, no problems shifting. The "whistling" sound is best described as the type of sound you'd expect if you were to blow air across the top of a pop bottle. Kinda loud, and difficult to descern where exactly it was coming from, at least from my vantage point.
2KGtStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

When does it make this sound? All the Time? During acceleration (Heavy or Light)? Or under deceleration? Only during a steady cruising speed?

When did this start happening? Is your car totally stock?

Did they listen to the rear end for this noise?

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

I would take it some where else and have it looked at

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
surfbeast
Registered Member

If it's not shifting funny ( hard, soft, jerky, studdering, rpms too high etcc... ) then they are trying to rip you off. It may be something real simple, that is why they are saying they will give you abreak on the cost, they know they are gonna make a wad off ya! Take it somewhere else other than a Ford dealer. Most Ford dealers = Rip off!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

There's a rubber plug/grommet that goes in the bottom of the trans. Maybe if thats not there, air could be blowing across the hole causing the whistle??
Either way, since you're out of warranty, get a second opinion.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote