MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2002, 05:41 PM   #1
INVINCISTANG
Registered Member

Default I Thought LS1's Were Fast?

I was at the track the other day watching the races. I usually do this every once in a while to see what kind of competition I'll have on the street.

There were some nice 5.0's runnin 11's and a bunch of old muscle cars that were nice too. There were also a few LS1's that were running too - a 2000+ SS and I think a 2000+ WS6.

Well I heard a bunch of LS1 leg-humpers talkin about how fast these cars are, so I was curious to see what they would run.

The SS ran 4 times - all were in the high 12's/low 13's range. The WS6 ran 5 times - all were in the low 13's (13.0 to 13.3).

They were parked next to each other in the pits, so I figured I would go on over and ask them about their mods.

The SS had a lid, LS6 intake, and DR's and the WS6 had a lid, SLP Loudmouth, and 3.73's.

I had my 02 there, but I didn't feel like racing. I'm more of a street racer. Racing at the track is just too dangerous. So I figured I would wait until these guys left and follow them out.

I waited and waited, and finally these LS1 punks decided to leave. I followed them closely onto the highway, I'm sure they saw me in their rearviews.

The highway turned to three lanes and one went into the left lane and the other into the right lane, so I just glided up to the middle. I looked over at one and grinned, and then I looked at the other and gave him a nod.

I let them hit it first and then I punched it. They both pulled about a half car, but once I punched it I was gone. I put about 4 cars on the SS and 6 on the WS6 up to about 130 and then I shut down.

I thought these LS1's were quick?

I'm hoping I can find a quick LS1 sometime soon, or at least a driver that knows what he's doing. I'm getting tired of beating these things. I guess it is hard to find an LS1 that can keep up with a stock GT, unless it's got a lot of mods.

Me vs LS1's

Me - 21
LS1's - 0

99 Civic Si (Tow Car w/ a couple of goodies )
INVINCISTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:16 PM   #2
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Well I hate to be a "hater" but stock vs stock.....you are giving up 70+hp to cars similar in weight and they had some nice bolt-ons. If you're car is truely stock.....it's probably not faster than high 13's in a 1/4 and that's being generous. Maybe this is a joke, but if not.....I would have to see it to believe it....sorry

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I don't know about this story either.

Quote:
racing at the track is just too dangerous
I thought people raced at the track because it was supervised and VERY safe. Why is street racing more safe than racing at the track??

You should take that 02 GT to the track and run it. If you somehow run a low 13 STOCK, then maybe I'll believe your story. If you put 6 cars on a WS6 (that was already running low 13's) from a ROLL, you must have some kind of factory freak...or something

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

LMAO!! If your eyes wernt brown they are now, Your full of it.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 11:20 PM   #5
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

bbbbbuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllsssshhiiiiiiittttt

6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 11:23 PM   #6
50DAVIDLX

i am lafing so hard right know, it's making it hard to type how full of sh** you are. that is rediculus.
you have got to kidding.
but, what ever
Old 05-25-2002, 11:25 PM   #7
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

EVERYONE IGNORE HIM!! he is a member of ls1.com and thought it would be funny to post this here and see what our reaction would be. I seems to think that there are a majority of people here who think any stock GT can beat an LS1. Something like that. Sounds like an all around ***$hole to me.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 01:41 AM   #8
The Deuce
Registered Member

Midnite-
Thanks for doing some homework on this guy. One can tell by the way he writes about the LS1's that he knows way too much about them to be a Ford guy. Can someone please tell me what the hell a 'lid' is and why does that make a car faster?!

I think I may meander over there and talk about how fast my WU6 'Bird is and how I beat up on guys with H-pipes and MAC exhausts, and how I only race through retirement communities becuse that is the safest place to go 140.

I guess it would be belaboring the point to write this, but here goes.

GM=Generally Moronic.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 11:32 AM   #9
rbatson

The 'lid' is referring to the air filter lid. They replace the 'lid' with one that is smoother and shaped more efficient for incoming airflow. Supposed to be a good first mod.

Invincistang, I'm curious as to what you really drive.. No matter really, I think all makes have a few trolls.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:33 AM   #10
INVINCISTANG
Registered Member

Wow. So you guys believe people like "Unit" who say they put carlengths on LS1's at 110+, but you won't believe me?

What's up with that?

99 Civic Si (Tow Car w/ a couple of goodies )
INVINCISTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #11
rbatson

I don't know what unit said, I must have missed that.

As far as the 99up GT vs. LS1, I think it would be a very close race to the 1/8 mile mark but after about 70mph that LS1 just takes off and leaves the mustang.

Though if the driver screws up it could mean he loses the race. I ran an LS1 with the Cobra vert I had, last summer. He was pretty cool and he told me he was running 13.5s, while we were in the staging lanes. He made a point to line up with me and he got overly excited and fried his tires at the light.. I ran a 14.0(best run of the night) to his 14.5(must have been his worst of the night, I dunno). After the race I was going to talk with him and he wouldn't even look my way, he left soon after. What's up with that?

I can tell you this though, noone appreciates a troll... they smell up the place.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:46 AM   #12
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by INVINCISTANG
Wow. So you guys believe people like "Unit" who say they put carlengths on LS1's at 110+, but you won't believe me?

What's up with that?
If you would have read that thread you would have known that all the problems started because most people didn't believe him.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:32 PM   #13
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314

If you would have read that thread you would have known that all the problems started because most people didn't believe him.
Yeah, most were saying there was no way Unit's 87 GT would hang with an LS1. Most didnt call BS, cause Unit is well respected, and we know all too well that anything can happen on the street.

Do your homework next time before coming to a stang site (especially one with knowledgeable members, like this one) and trying to stir up trouble. Take your BS over to ***************** ya *******.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:49 PM   #14
Aquaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by INVINCISTANG

What's up with that?
Hmmm....He makes a good point. Not how I would have gone about it (see locked thread) but a good point none the less.

If you all reflect just a little bit about what he's saying here you will see what my point was/is.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:05 AM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Yawn. Find where I said that. Oh wait, you can't, cause I didn't. I said I raced a couple LS1s on the highway up to about 110mph, and I beat them by 1/2 car. I also took the jump. One was a vert. My car might trap 102mph tuned up and ready to go. I have always said LS1's trap higher than that. Don't know how I could say they trap higher than my 102, but since I have a magical jump from 102 to 115mph through space and time I always pull them up top.

Regardless, one of the LS1 guys from my neck of the woods actually wants to be reasonable and run me. We'll find out if the 87 can beat another LS1, now with 161k on it.

Course, if the people you were taking information from could read, most of this could have been avoided.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 12:27 AM   #16
crazy5.0
Registered Member

BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS
crazy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 12:28 AM   #17
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
Yawn.

Course, if the people you were taking information from could read, most of this could have been avoided.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 02:07 AM   #18
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

First off, it is painfully obvious that your name is ment to Mock us, not to be part of us. I picked that up before I even read the whole initial thread.

And from reading the entire initial post, it was also obvious beyond question that you mixed previous threads, and previous notions and melded them into one thread.

Despite what you may think of us as individuals, or as a group (The Mustang guys or what ever) We are not dumb. Go troll some place else, or better yet, get a life, and a decent sense of humor and dont troll at all.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:25 AM   #19
Shogun
Registered Member

Well heres one. What will be GM's F-body terror for 2003 be?....anyone.....anyone.....0, nada, ziltch, no F-body. While Ford will be on a limited basis be mass producing the 2003 supercharged Cobra! with a full 390 HP. You GM guys just keep thinking that as long as Jeff Gordon keeps driving, that everything will be ok.
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 10:13 AM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

No F body, but the Corvette will still be around. Also there are plenty of F bodies still on the roads. It's not like they were declared illegal to own and drive.

Basically, there is no F body because they couldn't attract a stable market base. The F body has a very poor fit/finish, cheap interior, poor visability, and it's uncomfortable for a lot of people to drive. GM put all their money into making the F body very fast thinking that faster = more sales. Ford concentrated at widing the market base. They made the car more appealing to females which does work to our advantage as well, as I've dated at least one cutie that said she'd lay the guy driving a new Mustang just because of the car, lol. The Mustang's just a nicer car to own everyday. Even the testers have agreed on that for YEARS. Since the LS1 had such poor sales, prices continued to skyrocket. The LS1 IS faster than the GT. Problem is, I got my GT fully loaded with every option other than an auto tranny for $21,000. It's more comfortable, looks better (IMHO), is more fun to drive, sounds better, goes just about as quick, has a nicer interior, and is more reliable. The comparable Z28/Trans Am would have set me back at least $5k more.

The 4.6L has also got a solid aftermarket now. I can get turbos, superchargers, N20, pullies, headers, catbacks, cams, internal engine parts, X/H pipes. A bigger aftermarket than the LS1 as far as products offered.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote