View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 07:48 PM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I made posts regarding the Gen 1 4.6L's reliability when the PI head swap is done. Technical posts looking for information on the cc size of the PI heads, dish of the 99+ 4.6L GT pistons, dish size of the 96-98 GT pistons, about valve reliefs, engine longevity, and power production within the last month or two.

Hammer did respond to at least one of my threads, with some useful information. I got many responses telling me how to incorrectly modify a 5.0, and that the 5.0 would be a lot cheaper to modify. I had to point out that their posts were inaccurate, and the threads received very little useful input, and no technical information. (I eventually found the tech after searching for hours on the net).

As far as coming in here and saying whats up, you've said it yourself Hammer. You don't know a lot about the 5.0L, and neither do many of those posting in here. That's not my beef at all. My problem is the posts with blatently inaccurate and skewed information about an engine they don't know about. To me, allowing such BS to continue on this site is in poor taste. I'm not faulting anybody but the 5.0 guys and the dual owner guys on that. Nixing the crap when it first starts to hit the fan and educating people on the facts makes for a better informed and more respected group of enthusiasts.

I was overwhelmed by the ridiculous comments on THIS thread.

"A disheartened 4.6L owner"

http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...threadid=22610

I'm not hear to rag on the 4.6L, I have one. I wanted a Gen 1 that I could do a PI head swap too as well. They are nice engines, and they are a heck of a lot more refined than the 5.0L. My 87GT is a brute. Plain and simple. It's the closest you can get to a 60's Muscle car within the last 10 years, hands down. It's fun as hell. That's great for kicking it up on the weekends, but when it comes to getting back and forth to work, and crusin, the new GT is such a far superior car (not engine) that it's nuts.

The thing I miss the most is the sound. When I shitcanned the 2001GT from a 15mph roll it's front end lifted and I was rewarded with a rich exhaust note. I knew I wouldn't even believe what my 87GT had done in the past if it didn't beat me, and to be honest, when the 4.6L was going I didn't think my friend would be able to close the gap of me being 1/2car ahead, and getting the jump. Was I ever wrong. There a split second after I hit it was this roar of an engine at my rear corner, it just kept climbing. It sounded soo badass. I have to admit, it was probably the coolest sounding car I've ever raced (now I know what the other guy feels like next to me, hehe) and the 87 just kept pulling until it was a good 1/2 car in front of me. It was going to blow me away. My friend then missed 2nd trying to add insult to injury with a hard bark of 2nd gear on my P245 Nitto cladded 87GT! Light at the end of the tunnel. I was already in second gear and I was able to fly past him. Had he hit his 2nd gear powershift attempt, it would have been over. My 87GT will pull to 75mph in 2nd gear and I know how it pulls on it's way there. All the stories of the 3rd gear 5.0L demon sucking all the my 87s power are apparently unheard by the white beast. I walk LT-1s with authority up to 120mph, and LS1's can't get away up to 100mph,anyway. I've never raced any LS1s after that speed.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote