MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default im pissed!

so tonight im driving around for a while, when out of no where this integra behind me and some other ricer start flying up behind me. i see them in the rear view, drop it a gear and dont let them pass. this goes on for a while, while we do some ridiculous speeds on roads we shouldnt... all so i dont let them pass me. while one of them turns off but this integra stays behind me, doing insane speeds. we come to a road where its pretty unsafe to go fast, so i let him blow by my figuring he'll crash his car or something, but after he flew by he too slowed down. the next thing i know we are at a light. i figured he would probably hit it, but i wasnt sure so i started easy till i realized he was hitting it. the thing that pissed me off is i hammered it when i was about 2 cars behind him (after i found out he was going for sure) and stayed right there until we let off at about 80 or so. i was a little ticked that i couldnt pull an acura integra i hit every one of my shifts perfectly and pulled nicely out of them. i didnt hear any turbo, and if there was, i couldnt hear it. this just makes me want to mod my car SO bad, i cant wait till i get some money. i dont want to get nos, but the bang for the buck i feel like i should, i cant let this happen again, losing to rice isnt my thing (btw if anyone reads this how many 1/10s (if any) are 3.27 to 3.73 gears worth?) anyone know what an integra runs in the 1/4?

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am not trying to mean but the 96-97 stangs are pretty slow. Its a good thing you got a 5 speed or your car would really be slow.

Gears would be good for about 4 tenths. I suggest doing a head swap (i.e get some heads off of a 99+ GT). Go to www.powerheads.com and check out there head and intake combos for your car.

You can pick up about 100HP from the swap.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
ac97gt
Registered Member

yeah it sucks... my plans are to do cam/heads/intake the second i get the money for each, but im probably gonna do gears first

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 06-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Get some gears and some sticky tires and you will rape most ricers off the line so bad they wont have a chance. Another must have is a Steeda tri-ax shifter. (trust me)
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
ac97gt
Registered Member

i was gonna go with a hurst shifter before the gears... (i know this isnt the right forum but) would you reccomend the steeda over the hurst? price is no issue, ill spend the extra for either one, but i was always thinking hurst, and ive used them before in gm cars and liked them.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 06-29-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
lx mike
Undescribable

go with either the steeda tri-ax or the pro 5.0 shifter. either one will help you hit every gear without missing.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:13 AM   #7
ac97gt
Registered Member

why not hurst? i have no problem missing gears now, i never do... but i enjoyed the smoothness of the hurst when i used it. im sure all the other shifters are as smooth, but is there a reason to get them over the hurst?

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 06-29-2003, 09:00 PM   #8
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

I like my Hurst, but I dont drive a 97. But I bet ANY shifter fells better than stock. Get gears for sure. And a shift lite. I have seen mostly stock Integras run in the 16.50 - 16.00 neighborhood. Sorry, you probley did not want to hear that

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:38 PM   #9
ac97gt
Registered Member

yeah heh, you're right. i did some research online and found that they run mid to low 15s stock. also though my car didnt feel like it was running its strongest from the second i took it out that day, it does that sometimes. it feels real strong one day, not the next. i told my friend that was with me earlier that night the same thing. who knows... if i had hit it right off the bat maybe it would have been different too i cant wait to drop some money in this car ... and back to the shifters.. my cousin has a hurst in his 2000 camaro and thats the one i liked... he replaced a pro 5.0 that he had in it before that and he said the hurst is ALOT better... he has used hursts in two fox body mustangs hes had as well.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 06-30-2003, 09:03 PM   #10
bri32zz
Registered Member

Get some gears first. Go with any shifter that makes you feel the most comfortable. Most people go with the Pro 5.0. I had a hurt shifter once and really liked it too. Good luck
My CAR IS GONE R.I.P----I miss YOU 331ci, 69 Windsor heads ported and shaved , Trick Flow-Intake ported,JE blower pistons, Custom cam 542 lift, 1.73 rrs, Equal length headers, BBK Hi-Flow cats, Hurst shifter, 3:73 gears, Tremec 3550 tranny,Lakewood drag suspension-90/10 in front and 50/50 in the back. Lakewood traction bars. Edelbrock 70mm tb, K&N filter, Kirban fuel reguator, Custom sub-Frame connectors,83 lb squirters, powerdyne blower with 12psi pulley,
http://www.pumpoperators.com/brian/
Rice Haters Club Member #82
My wife is AWSOME!!!!!!!!
bri32zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #11
ac97gt
Registered Member

i was gonna go shifter then gears... do you like your pro 5.0 better? im just goin by word of mouth, so far i have heard alot of people like the triax and my cousin likes the hurst alot better than the pro 5.0... but you guys are right, im not too worried about it because anything will be an impovement.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 07-01-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I have the Tri-Ax myself and love it, but I think the Hurst Billet Plus is alright too. The important points for shifters are adjustable stops, offset spring-loading for the 2-3 shift, and good materials.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
bri32zz
Registered Member

Honestly I liked my Hurst a little better. I have hear The tri ax is awsome. Never shifted one though.
My CAR IS GONE R.I.P----I miss YOU 331ci, 69 Windsor heads ported and shaved , Trick Flow-Intake ported,JE blower pistons, Custom cam 542 lift, 1.73 rrs, Equal length headers, BBK Hi-Flow cats, Hurst shifter, 3:73 gears, Tremec 3550 tranny,Lakewood drag suspension-90/10 in front and 50/50 in the back. Lakewood traction bars. Edelbrock 70mm tb, K&N filter, Kirban fuel reguator, Custom sub-Frame connectors,83 lb squirters, powerdyne blower with 12psi pulley,
http://www.pumpoperators.com/brian/
Rice Haters Club Member #82
My wife is AWSOME!!!!!!!!
bri32zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:28 AM   #14
ac97gt
Registered Member

yeah the more i hear the more im leaning toward the triax... i would like to hear from someone who has shifted the hurst and the triax both.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride