MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-29-2002, 02:25 AM   #1
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Default Anyone have a newer Dodge Dakota or Chevy Impala?

These are the 2 cars I'm thinking about getting for college at the moment. At first I wanted a Dodge Dakota--V6, 5-spd, 4WD. After thinking a little while and searching around price checking on the internet I found that the new Chevy Impalas aren't that expensive and would make a pretty good college car--4 door, big trunk, not girly (big plus, lol), better gas mileage than a pickup, and I could really make one look nice with some minor touches.

I probably won't be buying the car for almost another year, but I figure that I can't start looking too early, ya know? I have found some 2000 Impala Sedans with fairly low mileage listed for around $12-14k in the Denver area. How much do you think that will go down in a year? Couple grand? I could easily get a 2000 for around $12k I think. I'd like to get an Impala SS over the LS or Sedan, but the price gets jacked up quite a bit between the models....

The pickup would be nice to haul things with, but not really necessary. My sister has a '96 Grand Am 2 door and she got through her first 4 years of college good.

Anyone own either of these cars? Have any opinions? Sorry this is a Ford website and I'm talking about a couple non-Fords....it'll be ok though......general discussion......this is what it's for.....
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 03:03 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hey pony, my sister-in -law bought a new impala, seat warmer's all the bs, i gotta say it aint a bad looking car, look's better than them ugly monte carlo ss pos, so hey why not? but i can still smoke her az* , heheh front wheel drive 3800 v-6, bwahahahaha, but it's the best lookin chebbie going, see ya i really am going to bed for sure, gotta babysit, uhh i mean work in a few hours, btw the avs suck!.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Impalas and Dakotas

The 'new' Chevy Impala is basically a Ford Taurus which is basically a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

O.K. car for point-A-to-point-B transportation but the Japanese cars have somewhat better quality control.

Here's a link to the Consumer Guide webpage that gives you all the info on the Impala. You can use it to check out the Dodge truck, too. Not just the basic specs but some good specific info also.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/u...fm/id/2369.htm
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Avs RULE! Haha.

Thanks for the link Mr. 5.0. That helps a lot.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that insurance would be cheaper on the Impala rather than the Dakota, wouldn't it?
Old 05-29-2002, 11:02 PM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

New Impala,,POS

We have several new Impala's, all have around 20-30k on them.
So far all have had new rotors put on (Serious cracks) also all have had new tie rods put on, wore out already. uh.

All 5 of them thump in the passenger floor board, who knows why?

They dont stop good and you cant see backing up in them.

Hit a bump and the dam tire pressure light will come on.

Doors lock when car is placed in park, this means you cant open with door handle inside, only opens by hitting unlock button,, what a pain in the arse. This problem confused the crap out of me. Can only be reset by dealer.

Bent a (Plain black steel wheel) had to special order it and it cost around $400.00 whaaaaaaa.

Did I mention they suc?

I think Chevy finally built the perfect terd.

Stay tuned for more problems.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:43 AM   #6
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Well hmmmmmmm.......the plot thickens.......
Old 05-30-2002, 02:12 PM   #7
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

Cool

I've got a friend with a '99 Dakota RS in silver . Nice truck. Jus a workin' Joe. Little to no problems from what I've heard from him.

Ya want a hauler with a big back seat? Find ya a 94-97 Crown Vic;, leather, 4.6, safe as hell, like drivin a couch.

Check out wwwcrownvics.net

I personally hate the new Impala , it's ugly, looks like a retarded Taurus. Livin off a name and nothing else and for rigorous police duty it won't be able to out-perform any of the late model P71 Crown Vics.

I've aways been a classic car fiend an when they moved that model to front wheel drive I was really sad. Those 94-96 SS Impalas were serious stump pullers and had a slick body. Probably why the majority of police cruisers now are Crown Vics. Cheby screwed up by pullin' the rwd Impala. Ain't no replacement for dispalcement!

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:46 PM   #8
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

jeeze!! any body want to throw a brotha a spell check? I jus re-read what I posted, sorry. please don't take my two fingered half ***** typin as a universal stereotype among us southeren fried white trash

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote