MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 06:12 AM   #1
foxbodied
Registered Member

Default The Import scene

This weekend me and a few buddys of mine went to car show at nassau calliseam. I went to check it out cause 1 of my friends has a blue beamer. Any way so after the show everyone was having fun. people were racing and my friend was doing some crazy *** donuts with his supercharged thunderbird and then it happened. A mustang leaving the parking lot minding his own bussiness get hit on the drivers side by a ricer who was doing 60 - 80. It was crazy and hard to watch.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:32 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I'm waiting for the insurance rates on imports to start to go up. Or worse, on young guys. I remember before I was 25 and single, insurance payments were more than car payments!!

These ricers are only going to increase everyones premiums

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 08-12-2002, 12:06 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

I'm with Cam. I don't understand how I can pay out the nose for my GT insurance, and some jerkoff who pulls crap like that pays for an economy car. There needs to be some kind of special premium for ricers to keep it from screwing with people like us.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 08-12-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
25thmustang
Registered Member

They are aleady going up for those cars. I have been told an Integra is more than my 89, any Acura for that matter, and the Mitsubishis are more! Soon Civics and Accords will be up there and maybe the import scene will fade away!

1989 Mustang LX:
Cobra Intake, 65mm Tbody, 1.7RR, Mac CAI, 1 5/8 Mac headers, 2 1/2 Mac H-pipe, 2 1/2 Flowmaster Cat-back, 3.73s, BFGoodrich 275/40/17 Drag Radials.

2001 GT leather seats, 17x9 Cobra Rs.

Ricer Hater's club: member #48
14.185 @ 97mph (with AOD)

12-19-01
Old 08-12-2002, 01:49 PM   #5
mysweetlx
Registered Member

25thstang is right. I work for an insurance company, and believe me, they know what's up and the rates have gone up over the last 2-3years, and they'll be increasing for the next 2-3. It'll all be an even playing field (insurance wise) soon.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
inferno
The Instigator

Notice how no one so far has said anything about the thunderbird doing donuts which were potentially dangerous too. This incident had nothing to do with the fact that the person was driving an import vehicle.....it had to do with the fact that the driver of the vehicle was acting irresponsibly and made a very big mistake just like several other people who attended the show. Oh and about the insurance thing, the sport compact insurance is going up because of the theft rate.....you are paying high insurance for your mustang because of the performance of the car and your age. The only arguement that can be made about this affecting your insurance is if the people envolved are in your age group(18-25 usually has the highest rates with senior citizens right behind regardless of the vehicle they drive).
Old 08-12-2002, 03:53 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by inferno
Notice how no one so far has said anything about the thunderbird doing donuts which were potentially dangerous too. This incident had nothing to do with the fact that the person was driving an import vehicle.....it had to do with the fact that the driver of the vehicle was acting irresponsibly and made a very big mistake just like several other people who attended the show. Oh and about the insurance thing, the sport compact insurance is going up because of the theft rate.....you are paying high insurance for your mustang because of the performance of the car and your age. The only arguement that can be made about this affecting your insurance is if the people envolved are in your age group(18-25 usually has the highest rates with senior citizens right behind regardless of the vehicle they drive).
You're right about the T-bird, but in general it's the ricers (not imports) that are causing the problems. Yes the T-Bird did a donut, but for all we know the parking lot was empty and it was being done in a relatively safe fashion (if that makes sense ). I know everyone does some "dumb" things, but ricers, on average are A LOT worse.

Insurance rates do increase because of theft, but they also increase because of accidents. A car can be replaced for 10 to 15 grand, but an accident can cost a hell of a lot more, and someone has to pay for it!

I agree the 18-25 year old group has the highest rate. Unfortunately they are not only learning to drive but are the ones that do most of the "dumb *****".

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 08-12-2002, 04:34 PM   #8
foxbodied
Registered Member

The t bird was doing donuts in empty side of the parking lot where not alot of people were. But the ricer was flyin 2 feet from cars in a crowded section not paying attention as to what was going on and hit the mustang. I think the driver of both cars only had jr. license
Old 08-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #9
7up
Registered Member

I always see ricers doing stupid sh** on the roads trying to prove their car is fast because they can go 100 in a 35. I see people with cars that are actually fast and don't just "look fast" do it sometimes, but very rarely. It seems as though the people with the fast cars don't need to show them off by doing dangerous things that someone else would be too smart to do.

That sux about the Mustang, when will people learn?
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
Old 08-12-2002, 07:21 PM   #10
mysweetlx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by inferno
Oh and about the insurance thing, the sport compact insurance is going up because of the theft rate.....you are paying high insurance for your mustang because of the performance of the car and your age. The only arguement that can be made about this affecting your insurance is if the people envolved are in your age group(18-25 usually has the highest rates with senior citizens right behind regardless of the vehicle they drive).
You're partially right, it IS also because the insurance industry knows exactly what the kids in that age group are doing w/ their Civics,Celicas, WSX's, etc. It's the
30+ year olds that are actually looking for good gas mileage in a commuter car. Actually, senior citizens rates don't go up that drastically as you'd hope (although in most cases they probably should).
Old 08-12-2002, 11:07 PM   #11
The Deuce
Registered Member

Unfortunatly, the isurance industry doesn't know what I'm doing with my Mustang. I work 40+ hours a week, and don't go boy racing friday and saturday night. Sure, the car is fast, but the bike is twice as fast. If I wanted to be a 'hero' I'd go out on the bike and stunt it up.

I guess turning 25 and getting married will make me a MUCH different person than I am now.

Old 08-12-2002, 11:19 PM   #12
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the mustang. I can not stand ricers! I think that in the near future, their rates will be higher than ours being they drive like crazy and probably have twice as many accidents as we do. I have noticed people like us that actually have fast cars drive them responsibly. (well, most of us anyways.)
Old 08-13-2002, 12:19 AM   #13
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

I am sick and tired of ricers. My dad actually wanted to buy me a Honda Civic, i just laughed in his face. I just plain out hate them, and yes everyone that has one, wll maybe not everyone, thinks they are race cars. THEY ARE NOT RACE CARS< THEY ARE ECONOMY CARS!!!! I hate em all. I dont even like the people that drive em, when u talk to them they always put down everyones car like mine, ill go up to the hang out and everyone there has ricers, except there are like 4 stangs every once in a while, they all boo and sh*t like that. I hate it, i just laugh at em cuz my 5.0 would smoke em all. I dont get em, they all drive like they are the fastest cars in production, id rather cruise at about 35 with my top down and just laugh at em.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #14
inferno
The Instigator

A couple of questions that you have to ask yourself are:
1. Did the guy driving the import want to get in an accident?
2. Did he think he was in complete control of the situation?

I still can't believe that people are trying to blame the accident on the fact that the guy was driving an import and not to his age and inexerience driving a car. No one plans on getting in an accident and when you are driving your car, whether you are speeding or doing donuts, you believe you are in complete control. My cousin was doing donuts and thought he was in control and lost it into another car that wasn't really that close by. Does that mean that I should classify anyone who drives a Mustang as irresponsible?
Old 08-13-2002, 03:43 PM   #15
The Deuce
Registered Member

You are right inferno. It wasn't the cars fault, it was the driver. Did he think he was in control, sure. Was he? No.

The difference between ricers and us is respect, and torque. When I can break my back tires loose from a roll, it reminds me that the car is powerful. Can you do that in a Civic? No. Does that make the car less dangerous, no.

The point is, most of those cars do not have a safe operating range in their suspensions. It contributes to losing contol easier, and causing accidents.

I would have to see the forensics to tell for sure, but it sounds like the Civic was at fault, in more ways than one.

Old 08-13-2002, 04:05 PM   #16
foxbodied
Registered Member

well inferno your right about most of the stuff u said but i was just saying how the people who drive these imports are the ones to blame. Not the actual car.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:15 PM   #17
Rev
Registered Member

That's right. As the NRA would say (correctly) "cars don't do doughnuts, people do doughnuts".

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-13-2002, 07:25 PM   #18
Kevin Price
Registered Member

What does any of this have to do with street racing?

My Car
Closed Thread