MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2001, 04:54 PM   #1
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Smile Integra Type R

My friend just bought a brand new Type R a few weeks ago (the fool traded a '95 Cobra for it...). I raced him from a stoplight after he first broke it in, and even with a passenger and him by himself, I took him by at least 3-4 cars when we hit 60mph.

This week he went out and bought a catback exhaust and a cold air intake. He thought his car was pretty fast now, so he heckled me into a rematch.

We headed out from my friend's house and drove through town. It was late, so there was no traffic, but we were just getting no love from the stoplights. Finally we get to the freeway onramp, and I'm right behind him. He thinks he's going to get the jump on me because his car can handle, but he underestimates my suspension setup.

We both jump on it an cut the apex, and I shoot for the far lane of the freeway while he takes the inside. At this point he's got about two cars on me since he got the jump coming out of the corner. I must admit his car pulled hard, but I started reeling him in fast at the top of third gear and passed him at about 90mph. We both stayed in it to win it, but I took him by at least 5 cars by the time my speedo read 130...

Best part is, he used to edge me with his Cobra...

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports full suspension, Weld Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2 chmbr flo's, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 rpm stall
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 05:10 PM   #2
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

Talking

Poor boy. Trading a '95 Cobra for a VTEC????
The brightness is dimming.....

Thinking he could win against you in that car??? Brightness is almost gone...

A couple of simple mods and a rematch???
Brightness went out a long time ago...

Maybe he will trade again. What was he thinking???

Good job on the win!

------------------
1997 Black Cobra Convertible. #2788 of 3088
Mostly Stock
1988 5.0 LX Convertible -Work Car...Few Mods.
Ty'97Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Way to get him... 2000GT all the way!

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT

>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 05:34 PM   #4
fastang
Registered Member

Hey Blue00GT, where is Sebastapol? Your friend must be a goddamnmoron to trade a 5.0 Cobra for an integra. You wanna come to Carlsbad next month too?

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 05:57 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Sebastopol is about 50 miles North of San Francisco off the 101. Carlsbad sounds like fun, but it's a little too far for me. I usually race at Sears Point or Sacramento Raceway (sticky starting line at Sac).

As far as my friend's intelligence - he actually traded the Cobra for a 4WD Toyota Tacoma about a month about, and then traded the truck for the Integra (guess he likes working for the bank). So your comment about him possibly trading in the Type R next week is not too far off...

I have converted most of my friends over to Mustangs, so you should pity this guy for the amount of flak he catches from us (that and the fact that he's missing a bank of cylinders).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 06:35 PM   #6
dinomite
The Dude

that is thoroughly funny. His 30k plus car cant beat your 21k car, and he even has more speed mods (looks from your sig like you mostly have handling stuff, good show) albeit, not many. I love it.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 10:22 PM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The ITR is more like a $25K car, but still...

Anyway, an ITR is a second off the GT pace. Add a muffler and a CIA and its still a second off the pace. Anybody still remember that artical in SCC about the GT vs. the ITR on a road course? Add coil overs, a K-member, a-arms, tokicos, sway bars, and some monster tires, and what do you think would happen? Especially in that case.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:03 PM   #8
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

This is just my opinion (and may cause a bit of rockus)...

Have you noticed how most Integra (specially Type R) don't know much about the mechanic of there vehicles (physically & theory) compared to most 5.0/4.6 Mustang owners. Most seem to buy the car because it has the "import" reliability and is quick and nimble. Ask some one with GSR VTEC, what does Variable Timing do?

What they seem to forget is the Integra is at least $5K more, about a second slower on the quarter mile, and costs a lot of money to upgrade. The prime example is still no official turbo/supercharger bolt-ons for them.

I mean, why would you want to take that much of an under dog position???

One of my friend has an Integra with a funky air charger kit and another one has a home made Turbo Civic... when you listen to them, it seems there only goal is to beat a Mustang???

What's up with that?

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT

>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Old 02-26-2001, 11:48 PM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I know some Honda people that know A LOT about cars, theirs and others. They usually aren't the "Mustangs suck" types. They usually have Hondas because they don't have the money to spend on gas and insurance, the underdog thing (Don't you cheer for the Mustang in a Mustang vs. Viper race?), or that's just what they got interested it.

But then again, there are the rice boys. The VTEC=Voodoo Magic, hung up on specific power, "Is my wing big enough? Does this sticker make me look phat?" crowd.

Anyway, I'm not real sure where the Mustang hang up comes from. Oh well. I just don't worry about it anymore.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:53 PM   #10
StreetStang37
Registered Member

My friend just got an '01 Integra Type R too. They're not TOO bad, the car pulls great when the VTEC kicks in but that doesn't last long at all. He still loses to my bros '94 LT1 Caprice. My friend is only 16 though and he wanted to get an '01 Camaro SS but still wanted to get an import cuz his other one got stolen. And now he wants to get rims, springs and shocks. I mean its a racing suspension stock and the wheels are pretty nice, I mean they are Type R rims for gods sake! He already has CAI, but thats it for now.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. mandrel bent cat back, High Flow H-Pipe, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 02:12 AM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Hey Lizard King, actually there are quite a few bolt on turbo kits for the Integra. Here is a video of a stock Integra Type R running 14.7: http://www.landspeedracing.com/downl...20vs%20ITR.avi
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 09:40 AM   #12
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

That 14.7 must have been down hill, with the wind and a rolling start! HEHE

JUST KIDDING! Please no flames. The Type R is a nice car.

E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe -37,800 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'

Pro-Charger D-1SC on the way!!!
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:58 AM   #13
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Ok, I just watched the video clip... Yeah, that looks real credible...I think we could have done without the tounge thing.
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:59 PM   #14
fastang
Registered Member

That was some decent powershifting and an exceptional time for an ITR. Did anyone see how the rear wheel drive Silvia pulled on the launch? At least nissans got it right. I agree with 302LXeric, that tongue thing was rediculous. Thats another reason why I like dumping on hondas. I like the look on their face when they dont get to wag their tongue at anyone,...unless theyre busting a fly by. lol

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 05:12 PM   #15
97snakedriver
Registered Member

That's the most pleasure I've ever seen anyone get out of a 14.7 second pass...
Old 02-27-2001, 10:40 PM   #16
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I was looking at the Integra type R, when I got rid of my 97 Talon TSI AWD... It was fun, but I hated the fact that you always had to be at the 5000rpm-8000rpm to go anywhere.

I mean if i'd want a sports bike...

Torque rocks. Do anyone of you watch Hotrod TV on TNN Sundays?

The type R is good. The master piece remains the Honda S2000. One of my buddys nailed 13.7 with his. It's inbeleivable the naturaly aspirated 2.0 Liter generates 240HP.
Old 02-28-2001, 02:54 AM   #17
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard King:
The master piece remains the Honda S2000. One of my buddys nailed 13.7 with his.
*whispering*
SHHHH...don't say that too loud....you don't want to wake up Unit and Rev...I am sure that they won't believe that that is possible either.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 08:51 AM   #18
Z28EATR
Registered Member

im not flaming anyone or anything but something about that video just wasnt kosher, i mean last time i checked the steering wheel and pedals where on the left side of the car, so then this car is from japan, ok that is all fine and dandy but i was stationed in Okinawa for a year and i know that a stock itr in japan is not the same as a stock itr in the states. Although i must say i saw a couple of skylines that would waste my stang. I give credit where credit is do, a fast car is a fast car, whether its a stang, itr, or like my friend who stroked his 2.4 sunfire with a turbo, he spent about 5k on this setup. Ill keep you posted on times after he breaks it in. MY TWO CENTS!!!
Z28EATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:58 PM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

snnnnnnnnooooooorrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee......kepkepaa hweheahhhhhhhhhhh......

what... was that? WHAT!!!! 13WHAT???????????? Well I'll tell you WHAT, hehe.

It's been known for a while that the S2000 can crack the 13's, a couple times before the clutch is lunched even. Won't be doing if for long though.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 02-28-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 02:55 PM   #20
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Z28EATR:
im not flaming anyone or anything but something about that video just wasnt kosher, i mean last time i checked the steering wheel and pedals where on the left side of the car, so then this car is from japan, ok that is all fine and dandy but i was stationed in Okinawa for a year and i know that a stock itr in japan is not the same as a stock itr in the states.

It's not the same here. I downloaded that same video from a different sight, and the caption reminded the viewers that the ITR's they send over to the states are toned down a bit, and are usually low 15 sec cars stock.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote