MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-21-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
StangGT02
Registered Member

Default just found this board....gonna post here no one answers on othr board

i didnt get an answer to this question on the modular madness board (the only board i thought there was on this site) so i thought id post the same post here and hope for some results btw its an exact copy so i dont have to type it all out again so it might be a little outta context in parts....

of all the upgrades ive seen that people should start off with like gears, exhaust, K&N, ect. you all mention the 1/4 mile. I was just wondering if say you only bought the mustang for street racing on backroads and stuff would you go for the same modifications or not?

2002 GT automatic- what would make it win in almost any illegal street race. power and top speed is what im looking at along with good acceleration over long distances, longer than 1/4 in some cases, shorter in others. i know the downside of gears is that you run out of the gear fast in 4th with 3.73s but where would i be cut out? what other mods would be great for this application, money wise i cant afford a turbo or supercharger but any aftermarket part isnt a big deal up to around 1000$ a mod.

o and this steeda timing adjuster...whats it do exactly and would it be worth buying for this application?

i didnt see anyone mention street racing in previous posts or on the new mb so maybe this would be good info to include into it
StangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default 1/4 mile?

The reason people mention the 1/4 mile is because that's where performance can be reliably measured. At the track you'll get:

1.) reaction time ( telling you how well you reacted at the launch).

2.) a 60' time (telling you how well you and your car did at the launch).

3.) a 330' time (telling you how you and the car are doing 1/4 of the way down the track).

4.) a 660' time and mph (telling you how your doing 1/2 way down the track).

5.) a 1000' time

6.) a 1330' 1/4 mile elapsed time and trap speed.

That's a lot of info that is not open to any BS (smack talk).

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 07-21-2002 at 03:18 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 12:46 AM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

It depends on what you mean by backroads. If you want the car to turn, then you should do things considerably different in the suspension. As far as getting power, things that work for the 1/4, work for pretty much any application, though I would be afraid to hit the N20 button in a corner.

If you are looking for handling, go with Racecraft springs over koni externally adjustable reds. Car will handle like a dream. If you have 16's, get 17's, but I wouldn't go any bigger. I don't know anything about slush box trannies, but somebody here must.

If you let us know a little more about what you're really looking for the answers will get much better.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:22 AM   #4
StangGT02
Registered Member

well im planning on driving straight lines on long streets, no turns jsut to see who has the better car. The roads could be very long which would mean i need top speed enhancements, or they could be fairly short *low end speed and excellent acceleration*

I read in more than 1 place that although the automatic is worse for acceleration than manual stock for stock the actual transmission is stronger and can handle more stress, im pretty sure it was on the modular madness board more than once and other sites, pretty sure it was somewhere on some steedas site or somethin anyways with a good chip in there and somethin else (dont rember the part) but its on the other board it, can shift faster than a manual due to human reaction times.

so thats as specific i think that i can get it, power, high top speed, great acceleration,
Old 07-22-2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
I was just wondering if say you only bought the mustang for street racing on backroads and stuff would you go for the same modifications or not?
I might be a crotchety old man, but I really hope you bought the car for more reasons than illegal street racing. I know, we all succumb to the "bug" every once in a while at a stoplight, but there are just too many tracks around we can go to.
Plus, there's no doubt who won at the traps either...

Most "starter mods" can be researched on the modular madness FAQ at:
http://home.attbi.com/~a.packett/index.html

Quote:
what would make it win in almost any illegal street race
Strap on a jet engine...
Seriously, if you've spent any time at all around muscle cars, you'll realize that the following axiom stays true...
"There's ALWAYS someone faster..."

Stay safe out there...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 01:51 AM   #6
StangGT02
Registered Member

i dont doubt that there will always be someone faster and given a race vs my saftey im gonna take the safe route once i get to a certain point. I bought the mustang cause it drove great handled excellent and was so much nicer than my..dont laugh....85' faded yellow 4 cylinder lebarron...besides our family is a mustang family, the cars look good and they have power.

Im not hoping to win every race but at least be able to take out the kind of fast street cars out there that are compitition like camaros and stuff...thing is i have people callin it a "rustang" at work and around the neighborhood....i wanna shove it all back in their faces without killin myself....is that such a bad thing?