MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 11:08 AM   #1
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Post Killed another Cobra and an LS1 SS

This Cobra race was a huge disappointment. This was a black 96-98 coupe that was lowered, blacked out and had chromed R wheels. It was probably one of the cleanest Cobras I have ever seen. Anyway, I see him a couple cars ahead of me and we are heading onto the ramp for the freeway. He must have noticed me because he waited for me slowly in the right lane then he pulls a bullcrap move and floors it with me about 4/5 cars back. Not standing for this and already in 3rd gear, I caught up to him very quickly and passed by him at the top of 3rd and put some good distance on him in 4rth. This car had a loud exhaust but that was all it had. He wouldn't even come cruising up to me after. He just hung back about 10 cars behind me and I was doing 60?? I hate it when people don't wave after a race, especially another Ford owner.

-The SS was a 99/00 grey with a guy in his mid 40's with his wife. We cruised close to each other and I didn't think he wanted to play. All of a sudden, he downshifts out of nowhere and passes me so I knew it was on.
-We came up on a turn that opens up to a good stretch of road for a race and we went at it with him in front about two cars. This was an obviously stock car because I passed by him relatively quick in 3rd and put 3 cars or so on him and we just shut it down. He pulled up and waved with his wife laughing at our childishness. I wish the other Cobra driver could have been this cool..

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96SNAKE (edited 03-04-2001).]
Old 03-04-2001, 12:16 PM   #2
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Taking out the top production cars from ford and chevy in the same day. Nice. You ever had your car weighed? Just curoius..

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
Old 03-04-2001, 01:26 PM   #3
96SNAKE
Registered Member

FivepointOH, yeah it was a pretty good day for near flagship cars..

No, I haven't had it weighed but it is no featherweight by any means. I think it would probably tip the scales around 3500+lbs.

It's hard not to wonder how fast the 4.6 could have really been if Ford could have kept the weight anywhere near the Foxbodys.

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

Old 03-04-2001, 02:40 PM   #4
cobrayankee
Registered Member

It may have been a mock Cobra. Sounds like you pulled on him pretty fast for not having any major power adders. Should have been closer if he had the same car as us. Are you sure he was real?

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
Old 03-04-2001, 05:19 PM   #5
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Yeah, He was real. I guess anybody can copy a Cobra if they wanted to but this car was no fake. It had the "COBRA" embossed in the bumper and the familiar powerband of our cars. It wasn't a slug or anything. I was just pissed when I posted because of how he tried to takeoff without even waiting for me to get close to him.

My car has always been faster compared to other Cobras out of the box but this one was about average. I would say he had about 260/270 rwhp from this race and that may explain why it was a relatively easy battle. I can't explain it Yankee, I ran a similarly modded car like yours minus the C&L and pulleys(he had 4.10's) and had a 6-7 car lead on him and pulling through 4rth gear. This guy now has a supercharger and I haven't run into him again, yet..

Old 03-04-2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Nice kills 96SNAKE.

Sucks though that the Cobra guy had to be a hefer about it. Oh well. Some people take a loss on as a major embarassment or just get pissed off. Maybe an insecurity issue. I dunno.

“…because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends.” ---Revenge of the Nerds

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)
Old 03-04-2001, 06:43 PM   #7
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Thanks Fox,

I guess you're right about this guy. I just don't get it though. When I was younger in my first 5.0,(88 ragtop)I would get my a$$ handed to me more than I won but if you don't find out what just beat you, how do you learn?

Old 03-04-2001, 08:02 PM   #8
cobrayankee
Registered Member

96SNAKE: Have you ever had your car dynoed? I think I have somewhat of a slug compared to other Cobras. I need a professional dyno and tune. Maybe they'll find a problem.

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
Old 03-04-2001, 08:39 PM   #9
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Cobrayankee, I had my car dyno'd awhile back when it was fairly low on miles, it's in my sig. I don't think I make as much power now that the car is older but probably pretty close with the cats gutted now.

-I know one thing for sure with our cars though, they hate to run warm or hot. If they do, they lose a good deal of power. My key is to keep the temps always right around the O in Normal or below with my fan contoller. I can pinpoint the exact temps the low and high speed fans turn on. I can't tell you how important this was to my car. This could make the difference between a win and a loss right there.

-Another thing I can tell you is that I tried that BBK H pipe and got rid of it about two weeks after it was bought. I lost power with that thing and I'm not completely sure why. I just know the X pipe was much better for my car.

- Spark plug gap- I run a gap of 0.060 on my car and have since new. Give it a try!

-Do you have gears or are you stock still? This could make a big difference too.

Whatever the case, get a dyno run done for a base. Also, if you can, try a different computer if you can get one. I have heard of a few of the Cobra computers failing for unknown reasons and they won't show codes.

How do your races usually go with other Cobras anyway?

Old 03-04-2001, 11:31 PM   #10
GP6T
Registered Member

So your saying you made up 5 car lengths on an SS in 3rd gear. I've seen a STOCK SS run 13.1@107. So you must be in the 10's at least. That is the fastest 301 rwhp car Ive ever heard of. I think you should start your own business. You would put Saleen out of biz in a flash. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGINEERING AND DEVELOPMENT SKILLS

enviously yours,
The Beacon of Reality
Old 03-04-2001, 11:42 PM   #11
EZRIDN
Registered Member

GP6T..i'd like to welcome you to the board...

However w/ only 4 posts it seems that u don't know 96SNAKE to be cahllenging his races so quickly. He's been here far longer than you, and so have i. that being said u don;t know him, or his car....if u know anything about racing (i;m giving u the benefit of the doubt), then u know anything can, and does happen.....He has got a fantastic running cobra.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:45 PM   #12
96SNAKE
Registered Member

GP6T, Since this is your 4rth post and don't know me here at all, I won't get all nasty. I beat this SS pretty easily and have taken other LS1's in similar fashion, especially the C5's. I think this race really begun at his door which would have given me a 3 car win but if we would have kept into it in 4rth, I would have opened that up by another couple of cars easy. In my experience, the regular Z28 is the fastest LS1 I have seen yet. We all know there are many variations on how these LS1's perform. Some are low 13's, some mid and some high 13sec cars and some freaks are in the 12's too I guess. I respect them all but downplay my win for you, no way..

-I have raced two well modded LS1's and the races were much closer. The point is my car is no joke in this kind of race and it ain't bad from a stop either. The fastest one was a couple of weeks ago. I had a 322rwhp LS1z28 by three cars to 90 from a 5mph roll. I don't bullshit and I don't dream. I just tell it like it happened bro.

Old 03-05-2001, 12:19 AM   #13
GP6T
Registered Member

OK I dont mean to ruffle feathers. I know its ONLY my 5th post but I do have a calculator, so that does give me some credibility. Simple arithmatic. Car A has 300 rwhp and wieghs 3500lbs, car b has 300 rwhp and weighs 3500 lbs. The question is, Why is car A so much faster? Hmmm let me think. IS IT FUZZY MATH? No. The earths rotation? No. Is it GP6T's lack of posts on the Mustang board? hmmm maybe? I'm sure that it has to have a lot to do with it, doesnt it? Leave the FANTASYLAND stories for DISNEY, they are more believable. I thought this board was for info not a lesson in creative writing.
Like I said before
enviously yours,
The Beacon of Reality
Old 03-05-2001, 12:42 AM   #14
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Hey bucko, and by bucko I mean GP6T, granted, the new SS and Z28's are pretty quick, but the driver has to be just as fast.
Perfect example- A little more than 4 years ago, I had a mildly modd-ed 89 GT. It was probably in the very high 13's or low 14's, but it had a driver that was in the high 14's.
All i'm saying is that the car can be as fast as it wants to be, but the driver has to be on the same level. So, do I believe 96snake's story? Yep. I've raced several SS's and I (thankfully) haven't been beaten yet. Only because most of the driver's either don't want to give their car too much he11, or they're not experianced enough.
Stop tring to flame dead coals, and learn some respect for your fellow 'Stangers.

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
Old 03-05-2001, 12:53 AM   #15
96SNAKE
Registered Member

GP6T, You're a joke! Take your calculator and **** off with your ridiculous comments!

What your calculator doesn't account for is gearing, stick or auto transmission and RPM rev band capability, especially in a highway race. With my comparable power and in most cases better gearing, I can stay in each gear longer through 7000 rpm's while the LS1's have to shift well beneath that. You can't account for all these things without knowing all the variables involved and I don't care enough to research them. I just downshift, win the race if I can and post it here if it was worth doing so. I sure wish you lived closer to me because I'd love to show you what my poor, underpowered Cobra could do..

One other thing since you want to compare hp. Not all LS1's are 300 rwhp cars either, some are 280 hp cars, especially the automatics. I could have put most of my larger beatings on these cars I don't deny that possibility at all.

[This message has been edited by 96SNAKE (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 11:09 AM   #16
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Just curious you have any times on your cobra 96snake? Might shut up some of these nay sayers.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
Old 03-05-2001, 11:35 AM   #17
96SNAKE
Registered Member

No, I haven't taken it to the track since I would have been booted out for not running a rollbar in a convertible capable of going under 13.99.

I've always thought of just going and lying and say my car was a 14 sec + car and then rip one off and get tossed but who wants to go just to race one pass?

-I figure with my drag experience in my old 89LX coupe, I would probably lay down numbers similar to Jason's Snake. The LX ran 12.4's with drag radials and my Cobra beat that car pretty handily(both on street tires) but my brother was driving the LX??

-There are always going to be people who doubt and that's ok but if anyone wants to test me out I'd be happy to oblige..
Old 03-05-2001, 12:00 PM   #18
sedanman
Registered Member

The math does not add up? Are you a 12 year old or something. If you think all that matters is Hp and weight, you are a moron, and if you are right I will just quit school cause why the **** would I need my engineering degree? There are so many factors that you did not calculate.

That being said Nice run, Your cobra has always kept me considering a 96-98 maybe when I finish school I will slither in to one (phun intended). Sweet kill!

------------------
1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd, GT-40 Heads, Cobra intake, 73MM mass air, 65mm TB, FPR, 24lb injectors, E303, Headers,off road H-pipe, Flows, K&n , hurst, 3:55's, pullies, etc...
Best ET 13.5 (2.15 60ft)
Best MPH 103.9
On semi-bald street tires
New mods! electric fan, nitto drag radials, mac upper and lower control arms, HD trac-loc, lakewood 50/50's on back, shift light, centerforce dual friction, and rebuilt heavy duty T5

Old 03-05-2001, 12:21 PM   #19
mmike

96snake. Not siding with anyone here but how does the heaviest body style with only 301rwhp claim to be in the 12's. I know gears etc. but it still seems like a tall order.
5 cars on an SS from a roll. You will need alot more than gears to do that.
Again no flame, just curious.

------------------
306ci, TFS stage 3 heads. port/pol edlebrock performer intake.
77mm mass air, 70mm TB, crane 2030 cam, Mac full length headers, flowmasters
3.73 gears and more.

Old 03-05-2001, 12:36 PM   #20
96SNAKE
Registered Member

It's cool MMike,

I know it just seems unbelievable but its true and I can't really explain it. The weight thing is a factor from a stop but from a roll, it just doesn't seem to hurt my car. If it did, I probably wouldn't beat the other Cobras I race like I do. Is my car a little bit of a freak, yeah, I think so and always have but I don't make this stuff up. At 30, I'm too old to play around.

As a reference to the 12's, There is a guy on this board named Jason(jmeiers) who runs low to mid 12's @111mph with slicks, more gear than me and better suspension mods. I figure I'm not out way off of his car but who knows. Even Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Cobra(superfly) ran easy 12's at 110 and they were only making 282 rwhp at the time but they were running 4.30 gears..
Closed Thread