MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2000, 06:21 PM   #1
J.M
Registered Member

Question Super Charger

I currently have a 3.8L 2000 Stang. I have plans on adding some heavy mods pretty soon, starting with a two chamber flowmaster exhaust. I expect to gain some hp and torque, but not as much as when I install a super charger kit in it.

My question is: "How will my stock engine respond to the changes in the air flow as far as tear and wear is concerned? Are there any other mods that are critical before installing a charger....gears, size of pipes, etc?

I expect to be pulling about 260 once the installation is complete and hopefully running 13's or 12's.

Any sugestions are always welcome.

[This message has been edited by J.M (edited 04-13-2000).]
J.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2000, 04:28 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

J.M.:

You'll need to do some things before installing a supercharger, including a better exhaust and gears, as you mentioned.
Unfortunately, I have no real experience with the V-6 engine so I cannot offer any solid advice, but others can, including the supercharger manufacturer.

Any power-adder such as a blower will certainly stress the engine somewhat, but if you prepare it correctly, get a quality supercharger of the correct size, switch to synthetic oil and change it often you'll be O.K., but yes, this will shorten engine life somewhat as the engine was not manufactured with the stress of a blower calculated into the components used.

There is no sure way to say by how much.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2000, 01:20 PM   #3
stacyvt
Registered Member

If you're thinking supercharger, the first thing to get is head gaskets. The ones on the V-6 are weak, and in the 94-95 stangs, they were actually recalled. You will blow them within 2 months unless you replace them.
stacyvt is offline   Reply With Quote