MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2002, 11:26 AM   #1
Rebel79
News Editor

Angry Just got laid off!

Man yesterday I called in sick to work and later found out one my my best co-workers was laid off. I thought I was lucky that I called in sick. Well I went in today, still having a feeling that I could be next... well I was.

My boss has had the gall to lay off the two oldest people in our group, the only woman, and now the youngest. According to him he goes by seniority. I told him that was screwed up and he should go by performance. He said he did and created a whole bunch of lies, telling me I was the worst performer. When I can honestly say that I am not. I have co-workers who show up 30 min to an hour late, are drunk or high at work, or golf with my boss while they are supposed to be working. I told this to my boss and his reply was "I have not seen that."

Oh well, life goes on.... I guess. I do have a 1.5 month severance package. But my rent is going up $350/mo soon, and my car needs work. I just hope and pray I can find an equal job out there. The last thing I want to do is commute because I will have to stop coaching the Little League team I love so much. I guess this doesn't just affect me or my family, it affects a dozen boys too.

I probably won't be around much anymore since I usually read and post while I was at work. I hope I will see you all soon!
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:53 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Laid Off blues

Rebel79:

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

Been there, done that and yeah, it stinks big-time when they keep the slackers and losers and lay off the people who actually do the work, then try to claim you were terrible to justify the layoff.

I've always taken pride in whatever I do and when I've been laid off (usually due to a big drop in business or a company merger or move) I know I've held up my end, no matter what some pointy-haired boss says ('Dilbert' reference).

I understand the surprise and feeling of being screwed but you'll do O.K. Keep a positive attitude and don't get bummed out if a new job doesn't pop up immediately. Just keep looking and call on friends for job leads (network) whenever you can.

We wish you well, Scott. Let us know how it's going.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Sorry to hear you got laid off. These old bones have been down that road before. They get rid of the older folks and keep the younger, less paid to keep expenses down.

Go get in line for unemployment benefits as soon as you can. That'll help some, it's better than nuttin'.

Most times, I've found, you'll wind up with a better situation than you had.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:08 PM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I can definitely relate to what your going through. I was in a position a week or so ago that I thought I was done school and my job (its dependent on my student status). If that happened I wouldn't be able to still take classes, work, and coach the peewee football team. Luckily, my job is still there, since they're not allowed to lay off anyone in a time of increased production, so I got damn lucky. In a year tho, everything changes, and I'll have to see what happens. I only hope things work out for you.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i know how you feel rebel it's happened to me also,i busted my a-- to finish a job by quitting time they came over & handed me my check & a pink slip,i wish you well on finding ajob ,over 1300 people got the axe the other day when a 139 year old plant shut down,good luck to you & hope you find something better,so you can keep coaching

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Angry

Oh Noooo Scott, this is bad news! I just went through that in November! Come to Florida, I'll rent out a room for 250 a month!
I wish you the best of luck, I know how that feels to all of a sudden be out of a job! Good luck and may you find something better fast!
Old 03-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #7
Coupe Devil

Been there to man and it does suck, but you'll find something else. The last time I got laid off it was for better actually. I got a godo job know becuase of it. Hope you find something soon.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Good people always end up OK. If you are a good worker, you'll be ok. Just get back on your feet as soon as you can. Don't let this keep you down. We're here for support (atleast I am )

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Sorry about to hear that man.
Just curious on this I'm not trying to start a fight but you were saying how people came in late, but you just mentioned you called in sick and didn't you just get out of jail so didn't you miss a month of work?

Just curious.
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:35 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Scott, I'm really sorry to hear about that! I'll make sure to attach a nasty note to my next deposit! Maybe Sky is hiring?

Good luck man!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:49 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the raw deal man. I'm sure you'll be able to find an opening somewhere soon. Keep your head up, jobs come and go, kinda like a Chevy engines power.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 08:09 PM   #12
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

I've almost had it with this pman; that sucks, Scott.

I really hate my job anymore. We got a new boss in December and he's really rude and always pisses me off. I'm thinking of finding a new job; especially since I asked for 1 day off during March break and they won't give it to me. He said: "I don't know - its going to be busy. ITS ONE DAMN DAY!. The worst part is that I've been there for 3 years (in July) and they still don't have any respect for me and still treat me like ****. I guess its cause I'm 17.

I've never done anythnig to make him dislike me - that I know of, at least. He never shows you how to do a job and if you don't do it exactly how he wanted - which you don't know how he wants it because he doesn't show you what to do - he tells other people you did a shitty job - but won't tell me

I've almost had it with this place and the only reason I haven't left already is because I'm in debt and I don't know of any places where I can get as many hours.

JAMES

I'm done for now.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:46 AM   #13
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs down

I am also sorry that you were laid off Rebel. Like a lot of people already said, try and keep a positive attitude and you will make it (most likely better than b4).
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:53 AM   #14
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Hey Rebel, I'm really sorry to hear that. I feel bad for ya. I'm sure you'll find a job again pretty quick. Keep your eyes open. Good luck, man!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:32 PM   #15
Rebel79
News Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
Sorry about to hear that man.
Just curious on this I'm not trying to start a fight but you were saying how people came in late, but you just mentioned you called in sick and didn't you just get out of jail so didn't you miss a month of work?

Just curious.
§am.
Sam,

I called in sick to work on Monday for the first time in 4 months. I think you have mistaken me with someone else. I have never been arrested and I have never been out of work longer than 5 days (sickness 1.5 years ago). I was always on time, but my downside was I never let my boss feel high and mighty. He would try to come across to us as a knowledgeable person, but we all saw through it. And whenever he got the facts wrong, I was there to correct him. I just can't stand liers or people who have to better themselves in front of others. Thats why I got laid off... cause my boss does not like me.

FYI the other person who was laid off was the only other person in my group that told my boss how it is.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:26 AM   #16
PKRWUD

Hang in there Scott. Don't give up hope. You'll get arrested someday.

Man, at least you can live with yourself. Brown-nosing doesn't impress anyone, and you end up stinking. You did the right thing, and they're the ones who are the worse for it. May not help pay the bills next month, but you were still in the right.

Take care friend,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 12:11 PM   #17
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Wasn't it Bigwhitecobra that was in jail?

Rebel,

Just remember the cream always rises to the top!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 12:20 PM   #18
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Scott, that's why I got canned too after 5 years, I'm the only one who stood up to the man-woman boss. It sure felt good! And it turned out it was a good thing I was let go, so many better opportunities! Good luck, dude!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:46 PM   #19
Rebel79
News Editor

Joe, you had a man-woman??? That sucks! But yes I am glad I told my boss off, and gave it to him the RIGHT way. I'm sure I will be better off for it as my old co-workers still have to bite their tongue to keep their job!