MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2003, 10:40 PM   #1
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default Launch Lesson Please & 60' Times

Question about launch technique at the track and best expected 60' time for my cars setup (I've got a 5-spd). The best 60' time's I am able to manage with my current car's setup are 1.9's (best of 1.91). I race with BFG Drag radials (17x9 wheels with 275/40 tires). The only suspension mod I have are Steeda Lower Control arms. My launch technique is to launch at slightly above 2000 rpms, say about 2200 to 2300 rpm's, and I work the clutch and gas until the car hooks, once hooked I nail it.

I keep hearing about folks who really tach it up, and then it sounds like they basically just drop the clutch and hold on for dear life. It sounds like this technique works if you have slicks, which I don't, but does this work for drag radials? A lot of others it sounds like the whole work the clutch thing is the technique to use, at least with street tires.

The main questions for me is what are good 60' times for folks on drag radials and is the tach it up, dump the clutch and pray you hook the technique to use on drag radials?

My drag radials are about shot and I'm strongly considering getting slicks next time around. Any input on this is appreciated.
Thanks!
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip