MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2002, 08:37 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Exclamation Hey, what gives??

Howcome when we try to write up other website names in our threads, they are treated as if they are swear words? I tried to use another website as an example of an inferior one so I typed that a troll should take their bs to m u s t a n g w o r k s . c o m and it got the "**********" treatment??? Free speech guys!!! You've got nothing to worry about anyway, every member here knows that mustangworks is the shizz, they wont go turn redcoat just cause someone mentions another stang site in their thread!!! Chill out moderators!!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
Old 05-26-2002, 09:05 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't think they are. I've seen posts for a lot of different websites, but this IS the Mustangworks. It is a business that Dan has thousands of dollars invested into, and the members and moderators have thousands of hours invested into.

I think it's well known that people from the works are members of other sites fairly often. I am too. To make a post advertising another site, or asking why you can't access another site is like going to Autozone and telling people there that you got a better deal at Pep Boy's.

From what I've seen, the threads usually aren't deleted unless they are a blatent advertisement, and that speaks a lot for this site. At least they have good self image, or they wouldn't allow other sites to be posted on Dan's money.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:12 PM   #3
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

On my site we treat it as advertising or spam. By not being able to type another site name into the message body the site administration has pretty much eliminated spam without having to spend every free minute on the message board. As you can see there are ways around this, like putting a space between each letter. By doing that you are circumventing the rules though. If it comes up starred (******) then it's not acceptable to admin. If you somehow change the post to eliminate the stars you are blatantly breaking the rules, and subject to "Dicipline".

Free speach only counts when it's in your forum. MW is a privately owned site. Dan McClain owns it, Dan McClain makes the rules. Dan McClain decides what's acceptable. We do as he says, or we leave.

I'm not bashing you so please don't take it that way. I'm simply offering my interpertation.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponycar_302
leave.

I'm not bashing you so please don't take it that way. I'm simply offering my interpertation.

No, Im looking for answers. Thanks. I think you 2 summed it up

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 05-26-2002, 09:43 PM   #5
rbatson

I'm with you StoplightWarrior, I've seen this coming for a while now. I'm having trouble making post, another member is trying to monitor where I go and welll.... I've been here a long time but I feel like I'm being 'fazed out'. Its not my site, its Dan's.. I feel like I've contributed alot to this forum but then again.. It's not my forum.. This place started out as a friendly mustang board but I honestly don't know where its going.. I think this is the beginning of the end.

I won't be back...

Later

Old 05-26-2002, 10:06 PM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbatson
I'm with you StoplightWarrior, I've seen this coming for a while now. I'm having trouble making post, another member is trying to monitor where I go and welll.... I've been here a long time but I feel like I'm being 'fazed out'. Its not my site, its Dan's.. I feel like I've contributed alot to this forum but then again.. It's not my forum.. This place started out as a friendly mustang board but I honestly don't know where its going.. I think this is the beginning of the end.

I won't be back...

Later
What?? Serious??
Old 05-26-2002, 11:51 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbatson

I won't be back...

Later
I hope you don't think those "cookies" you were getting from my signature have me tracking you? If it's that invasive I'll be happy to remove my picture from the sig. I do all my image hosting through AOL Hometown, don't know if AOL is hitting everybody with cookies or not?

You go way back with this site. I don't know where you get the idea you're being fazed out? You know I'm the last person to lie down and take a beating on something that I don't agree with, but I'm not an imouer either.

I've been informed that I've been on a bit of the warpath lately, I apologize if it has anything to do with me.

Kell
Old 05-27-2002, 12:32 AM   #8
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302

I You know I'm the last person to lie down and take a beating on something that I don't agree with, but I'm not an imouer either.

What ever happened to that guy???

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 05-27-2002, 01:11 AM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

imouer was banned. He just wouldn't quit with his attempt at a coup de dat.

LOL, I don't think anybody expected to hear that name again.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:40 AM   #10
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

lol he went to the c o r r a l and was banned there too, now he uses another name but they know who he is!!! LOL
Old 05-27-2002, 11:02 AM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Whoa!

Rick:

You wrote:

This place started out as a friendly mustang board but I honestly don't know where its going.. I think this is the beginning of the end.

I won't be back...

Say what?

I think you're overreacting a bit about receiving a cookie from someone's avatar and the inability to post competing Mustang website's names.

If Mustang Works is not 'friendly' then your definition of 'friendly' must be a lot different than most of our members - who find MW a lot friendlier and useful than the flame-infested message boards the bigger, crowded Stang sites offer.

If you visit me at my home I'll expect you to wipe your feet before entering, not to smoke and watch your langauge in front of my wife and child. If that offends you, don't come to my house. I have a lot of friends' and no one's complained yet, including the smokers and the potty mouthed types that I know (and I like them, in spite of it).

Same here on Mustang Works. We have a few simple, reasonable rules. We don't tolerate personal attacks (flaming) or excess swearing and cursing on the message boards. We expect a certain level of maturity in your posts which we usually get.

Dan apparently has installed a filter that edits other site names (news to me). Big deal. This is offensive?

I fail to see how this makes Mustang Works 'unfriendly' and not worthy of your time. What am I missing here?

Let me know, either on this thread or by PM, if your prefer. I'm truly interested in your views and although I can't promise anything, I do want to know what would drive you away after all your productive years on MW. It can't be as minor as the issues you've raised in this thread...can it?
Old 05-27-2002, 11:17 PM   #12
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

rick, whats up man why do you feel that way, you are a great member on here , i dont understand?

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Old 05-27-2002, 11:38 PM   #13
rbatson

I guess after 5 yrs, I should atleast give a response. If you want my reasoning I'll give it to you..

Do you remember when this site started out? It started out on borrowed bandwidth. One fellow mustang lover let another borrow some space. It quickly outgrew the space that could be borrowed so Dan had to go out on his own, I respect that. Dan did alot of work to get this site to where it is. A bunch of us found this place and it was a friendly mustang web site. Well, bandwidth cost money and so there had to be advertisement, people complaining that it takes longer to load.. I understand completely. I was willing to pay a yearly fee to help cover the expenses(if asked) but I doubted many others would. I absolutely love this forum! I kinda resent you making assumptions on my comment "This place started out a friendly mustang board", I didn't say it wasn't now. This forum is a close knit family and I've made many many close friends here. The members are still very friendly, some of the best folks that I've found on the web. I have a problem with the fact that the other mustang sites(that could actually help members here) are being blocked. It appears to me that this site is going from mustang lover helping mustang lover to full out commerical, this is the only place, noone else can help you, its either 'here or there' kinda place. I can't change it, its not my forum and I'm not asking anyone to change anything but.. I won't be a part of something like that.. the other sites don't block the MustangWorks, I checked!

If I want to help someone and tell them that www.crutchfield.com is the best car audio place online I've dealt with... I don't think it should be blocked unless its in direct competition with an advertiser, which I understand(but don't really like). That is something I can live with, if it happens to be something on the corral(that can help a fellow mustang lover).. I feel the same way.

Blocking other mustang sites because?? I don't get it. I did a search on the other mustang sites for mustangworks and guess what, the other sites all have links to the mustangworks in thier post. I don't think the members of this site should go through life with blinders on because they happen to have found, in my opinion, the best damn mustang site out there.

As far as the cookie thing, I'm not going to get into that.. I think you know where I stand on that. I may be wrong but it just don't add up.

Do you know what I have to do to make a post on this board, I really don't understand this either. I have to log on, type my post, submit, log on again, hit 'back' twice and submit.. and hope I don't have to retype or log on again. I don't have to do this on the other boards.

If Dan can make money and/or get free parts, I don't begrudge him in the least for doing so. Heck, if I were him I'd feel like I deserved it for all the blood, sweat and tears(time and money).

To me it comes down to principle, mustang lover helping mustang lover. When did this change?

Old 05-27-2002, 11:55 PM   #14
joe4speed

Rick, stick around, brutha!
Old 05-28-2002, 12:01 AM   #15
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Rick: All valid points made by you, and I do agree wholeheartedly with what you said. All I can say to you is this: You're a very helpful, knowledgeable, friendly member. We need people like you around to keep this site running as well as it does. Without a doubt, Mustangworks is the most close knit, informative, and well run automobile site i've come across or joined. Yeah I'm a member at 6-7 other sites, but I will always consider this one my home. I hope you will do the same.

Stick around buddy.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 05-28-2002, 12:21 AM   #16
StangFlyer
Founder

Rick

You are correct, there have been several filtered words put in place. For some time this feature has been in effect to filter out certain profanity, but a few weeks ago I had to add several filters for .com type links too. This is not because I wanted to block every link to every other Mustang site out there however. Unfortunately, we had several people who were posting links trying to feed off the audience and traffic Mustang Works has spent years building in a blatant manner without compensating me. I would not tolerate this and therefore had to ban certain accounts and place the additional filters on the forums. As it seems the fight with this has died off as of now, I have actually removed most of these additional filters now.

In general, it has always been my policy to allow links to other sources for information on the Web, whether it is on another Mustang site or not, as long as it is done in response to a valid question and the information being look for does not exist on MustangWorks.com. Of course, we do not allow blatant links that are just an attempt to feed off our audience, or promote a commercial site, or get what amounts to advertising without purchasing it from us. After all, this site now requires a great deal of time, work, and financial resources to keep it operating and I feel that it is very reasonable to expect to be compensated by those who wish to benefit from our audience/traffic.

Any ways, I created The Mustang Works to help my fellow Mustang enthusiasts, and be a center of communications and community for us on the Web. But, as it has grown and grown and grown it has forced me to make it a commercial enterprise out of pure necessity. As it stands right now, I personally loose money just keeping it going. So - yeah, I get a little PO'ed when people are trying to basically screw me instead of supporting it.

Rick, I hope that you will stay. I did what I had to do in order to combat some bad apples. Unfortunately, as it all too often turns out, the bad apples usually ruin it for all of us in one way or another. Well, at least for a while...
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Old 05-28-2002, 12:55 AM   #17
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Oh good lord. You really are whining about the cookies from the photo in my signature. I don't even know why there are cookies coming from it.

I agreed to delete my signature for you, which I will do. First I would like to try to edit the page the pictures are hosted on. I deleted all the meta tags from it. Maybe that will eliminate the cookies.

I certainly do not have the time or desire to track people all over the internet, and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be you.

If it doesn't end the cookies, I'll just delete my pictures from my signature and all the pics I have posted, and I'll post my pictures on the other sites where I don't have to deal with wild, and ridiculous accusations. Here I thought I found a real cool deal. I could have my pictures hosted through AOL for free with their crappy service.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:11 AM   #18
joe4speed

if ya want unit, I'll host your sig pic

Dan,
is there any way the mods can just keep an eye out for them and lock threads or edit the suspect posts, instead of filtering ALL the .com phrases?
Old 05-28-2002, 01:24 AM   #19
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Hey, who rated this a "one star thread" That's messed up!!

I think this is a very important thread.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 05-28-2002, 11:35 PM   #20
StangFlyer
Founder

At the request of rbatson, the orginal thread poster, this thread is being closed. I guess he was satisified with what I had to say...
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Closed Thread