MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Is this a good deal for use Windsor Jr. heads

I saw an ad for windsor Jr. heads (iron) for $525 plus shipping.
They have 2.02/1.60 valves and were rebuilt 10K ago.
The guy said they are good and ready to go and they have not been milled at all.
Is this a good price for these heads? Better yet....are these good heads?
Does anyone know what the flow numbers are foer these?
Are there any questions I should ask him before I decide to buy?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

yeah they are good heads, and that would be a great deal, but chances are that the price is for EACH head.

But if not, then go for it
Old 05-31-2003, 08:44 PM   #3
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I'm running a set of Jr.'s on my car. It's a good head for the money. Don't let my numbers fool you. I'm at high altitude and have been having problems elsewhere (excuses, excuses). The heads have great potential. My heads were mildly cleaned up by Keith Craft. The heads themselves won't make your car go. It's the entire combo. If you match your intake, exhaust, cam, and fuel items to your heads and intentions, you will have a very strong running combo.

If you buy the heads, I'd suggest taking them to a good shop and letting them check the heads and assembly over.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:23 AM   #4
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
yeah they are good heads, and that would be a great deal, but chances are that the price is for EACH head.

But if not, then go for it
That price is for both heads.
I was thinking about going with Thumper heads but I think these heads will be much better for a 351w

If I get those heads, will my pistons need to be flycut because of the larger valves?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
That price is for both heads.
I was thinking about going with Thumper heads but I think these heads will be much better for a 351w

If I get those heads, will my pistons need to be flycut because of the larger valves?
As far as notching the pistons goes, there are so many head, piston, gasket, valve, cam combos its almost impossible to say for sure.... you need to measure it.
I'm not sure about the parts in your sig but if thats a comp 292H cam you're talking about then you may be pushing the envelope with the Jr's on a 351W ... thats getting up into the mostly strip cams ... at 292 advertised duration, you need 10.5:1 compression at least and that motor won't do squat under about 3500 RPM ... If you have an automatic without a high stall converter, forget about keeping it idling at stoplights, and forget about power brakes! Also you're way out on the ragged edge with that 625 CFM carb and the performer manifold. If you ask me ... and i know you didn't but i'm tellin you anyway If that is in fact a 292H cam you're talkin about you need to either rethink that and tone the cam way down ... OR ... if its gonna be a mainly strip car ... go up a notch on the heads (maybe the Sr's instead of the Jr's or even better a set of AFR's ) also go up on the carb ... with that cam and the RPM it will require on a 351 you'd be way better off with a 750 CFM , or 650 CMF minimum, Holley or Demon. If its an automatic a 3500 stall converter, and some gears, i'd say 3.73's at least . Otherwise as a street racer that potential beast is gonna be a dog. Thats my 2 cents
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRoddin

I'm not sure about the parts in your sig but if thats a comp 292H cam you're talking about then you may be pushing the envelope with the Jr's on a 351W ... thats getting up into the mostly strip cams ... at 292 advertised duration, you need 10.5:1 compression at least and that motor won't do squat under about 3500 RPM ... If you have an automatic without a high stall converter, forget about keeping it idling at stoplights, and forget about power brakes! Also you're way out on the ragged edge with that 625 CFM carb and the performer manifold. If you ask me ... and i know you didn't but i'm tellin you anyway If that is in fact a 292H cam you're talkin about you need to either rethink that and tone the cam way down ... OR ... if its gonna be a mainly strip car ... go up a notch on the heads (maybe the Sr's instead of the Jr's or even better a set of AFR's ) also go up on the carb ... with that cam and the RPM it will require on a 351 you'd be way better off with a 750 CFM , or 650 CMF minimum, Holley or Demon. If its an automatic a 3500 stall converter, and some gears, i'd say 3.73's at least . Otherwise as a street racer that potential beast is gonna be a dog. Thats my 2 cents
Yep, that's the 292* magnum cam I have there. Remember about a month ago when I couldn't decide which cam to send back...the crower or comp cam? Guess which one I sent back?
If I get these heads, then the 58cc chambers should bump my compression into the 10.5:1 range(estimating)
I'm aware of the small carb. I have right now but my plans only are to get the engine in and running this summer and on the streets next summer. I just want to spend my money on the parts I need to get it in the car and fired up.
COMP CAMS recommends a 3000 stall converter and I have a 2800 stall. My gears are 3:73 right now.
I might still send that COMP CAM back yet...I don't know yet.
My engine combo isn't written in stone yet so things can still change. I think that 292 cam can make me a bunch of power if I get the right parts to go with it.