MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 04:15 PM   #21
slow98
Registered Member

Post Re: Re: link

In most cases yes. It really depends on the avenue you take. You must remember, that in a lighter chassis, less power is needed to get similar 1/4 times.
[/QUOTE]

so your saying that if you take a 900 hp turbo v8 and a 500 hp turbo 4 cylinder and put them both in lets say the very light weight shelby cobra the 4 cylinder will win because the difference of about 300 lbs engine weight?you do make a good point but dont forget a v8 can be put in very light weight chassy and be driven street legaly, the shelby cobra being one example, i know this isnt your every day run of the muck honda but like you said....i guess its just the avenue you take
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
Old 10-26-2002, 07:30 PM   #22
Five0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RED92LX50
So, if I understand FWD correctly (all my cars are RWD or AWD) would the car flip over onto the roof it had enough traction on launch...that would be funny as he-double-toothpicks to see!

Has that ever happened...gotta see a video to believe it...
Yes it has happened, they had one in MMFF, it was a blue mustang that fliped over backwards and slid down the track on the roof. It cought fire and burned though.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:09 AM   #23
this is not cbring
Registered Member

disclaimer: i am not referring to anyone on here or anyone in particular.........

a general comment on a personal observation of domestic/import arguments...........

when comparing/benchracing street cars, any "import guy" who refers fuel economy, insurance costs, or any form of practicality at all is invariably ridiculed, mocked, and told that the subject is racing, so none of that matters.........the "import guy" will receive the same type ridicule for presenting theoretical set-ups that they don't have and are countered with a "run what ya brung"

however, when some import is presented that runs a time that is considered respectable/quick/fast/whatever by even a traditional rwd domestic v8 platform..........the import is immediately discredited and the, "it costs twenty gazillion dollars to do" or "i'd put down twice the horses for that money" is countered.........it seems that practically and cost efficiency are all of a sudden the most important issues and theoretical set-ups are not only now acceptable, but the strength of the defense
Old 10-27-2002, 12:23 AM   #24
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
fuel economy, insurance costs, or any form of practicality at all is invariably ridiculed
Practicality isn't what's being ridiculed. It's just that fuel economy and insurance costs have nothing to do with performance...

Quote:
..........the import is immediately discredited and the, "it costs twenty gazillion dollars to do" or "i'd put down twice the horses for that money" is countered
In general (there are exceptions), the above quote is true about small 4 cylinder cars made to haul groceries. It DOES cost more money to make them fast.

Just because some don't like the statement doesn't make it irrelevant.

Also, Most of us realize that not all imports are low-powered grocery-getters. There ARE fast imports out there, but they usually don't have "dancing" lights or triplane wings.... which are the ones we put down. Of course, we've already explained this to you in an earlier thread.... So I'll shut up now....
Old 10-27-2002, 12:32 AM   #25
this is not cbring
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
but they usually don't have "dancing" lights or triplane wings.... which are the ones we put down. Of course, we've already explained this to you in an earlier thread.... So I'll shut up now.... [/B]
in this instance, we aren't discussing cars with "dancing" lights or triplane wings............we are discussing a supposed 9 second honda, yet only a handful of people, many of whom seem to sing the highest praise to the 12 second stang, are willing to grudgingly give out some credit

edit: if you don't like imports, or domestics, or whatever....... thats fine, i completely understand.........in fact, i personally don't like full fledge drag cars, i don't give 2 poops about any stang that runs 6's or honda that runs 9's or whatever, but can't do anything else (it just isn't my thing).........but don't create a new standard that cars you like don't have to meet in an effort to discredit the car or the effort put into it

again, not directed to anyone in particular, or even this group as a whole........just an observation and an opinion on what i find hypocritical

Last edited by this is not cbring; 10-27-2002 at 12:48 AM..
Old 10-27-2002, 08:38 AM   #26
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by this is not cbring
[B]in this instance, we aren't discussing cars with "dancing" lights or triplane wings............we are discussing a supposed 9 second honda, yet only a handful of people, many of whom seem to sing the highest praise to the 12 second stang, are willing to grudgingly give out some credit

The highest praise you are referring to for a 12 second Stang is more based upon reality,Timeslips have been posted in the past and most all Stangs can reasonably get into the 12 sec. range.all that was asked of this post.was a timeslip,nothing more,nothing less,and yes it takes a hell of alot more money to make a ricer go fast than a Stang,if that offends you maybe you shouldnt read posts in a MUSTANG board,you surely wont see me or for that fact most any of us posting on an import board,remember where you are,and it imports are that important to you I have to ask.why the heck are you on THIS board? I still have my doubts about the claims made.Show me and all this goes away and we pat this dude on that back.simple huh?
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
Old 10-27-2002, 08:55 AM   #27
Five0
Registered Member

Hey I think it is cool that someone could get a 4 cyl to run those kind of times and if it is that fast then great it would not hurt my pride one bit. I know there will allways be someone faster than you and some of that is even rice. I went with a mustang because of my obsessive love of the body and sound and name but I like all fast cars and i do not down all of them, just the ones that slap a lot of stickers on, a big coffee can exhaust that sounds like a bumble bee, an intake, a wing, and thinks they have an 11 second ride and nothing can touch them.

just my 2 cents
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:12 AM   #28
this is not cbring
Registered Member

JaxtheDJ: i'm not gonna spend much more time on this thread, but i will address your post:

why am i here? i like cars and mustangs, however i'm not going to compromise my beliefs and opinions simply because of me company.

also, if you feel the way that you posted, i'm not addressing you. i'm not addressing those that want to see a slip, which may be difficult in this case, since the owner didn't make the post or describe the car. i'm addressing the "well, it cost $20,000" posts, or the "if i spent that, i'd be running x.xx's"........people that say that are not "giving the owner a pat on the back" it costs money to go fast, other cars will be faster........so what, its a run what ya brung world and those that act that way are making excuses
Old 10-27-2002, 11:16 AM   #29
Special K
Registered Member

I agree with 99% of what you guys said! The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that you think its not expensive to build a 9s or 10s street Mustang?! I really beleive it wouldnt be that much less expensive. Of course there is lots of different ways to build a car! Some are more expensive then the others! Like building an naturaly aspirated drag car! My friend has a low 10s N/A Mustang! He is a professionnal engine builder (TK Motion) and hold 14 NHRA records! (not with the stang)! And he easily got over 75 000$ (thats canadian monopoly money ) in the car! When you build a 9 or 10s car you cant just build an engine! You also gonna have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars into suspension, transmission, etc...

The 10s four doors civic you see above. His a street car. Started his life as a grocery car with a 1.5L engine! His setup cost him around 15 000$ (thats canadian money too). That include the engine swap and the turbo kit. From 18s to 10.6s .... It deserve respect I think!

I would like to see a time slip of his 9s too... But I trust him since his buddy also used to race a mid 10s street civic for years. I dont see his point of posting bullshit on a board full of people who actualy saw the car race that day !

Take Care!
Old 10-27-2002, 11:41 AM   #30
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Nothing like confusing facts with Phallacy,but hey if you like those annoying little machines I wish you well, the main reason that most people dont like the ricer cars isnt the cars themselves,it's the people who drive them,sounds like your friend is responsible enough to at least keep it on the drag strip.and if he indeed did run 9's my hat is off to him. Personally I like the Stangs best,thats why I own one. It still baffles me as to why non Mustang owners would be members of a Mustang board but to each his/her own.
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50

Old 10-27-2002, 02:06 PM   #31
Special K
Registered Member

The people who drive them?! Thats funny you know! So you saw a couple of clown driving civic so every civic's owner is a dumbass driving annoying machine! (I dont get whats annoying but oh well)! You dont like their attitude but at the same you have a pretty bad attitude yourself toward import cars! Think about that!

Why im here.... look at your registration date... then look at mine! Who is the newbie here my friend??????
Old 10-27-2002, 02:24 PM   #32
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Special K

Why im here.... look at your registration date... then look at mine! Who is the newbie here my friend??????
Registration date?????? what the hell has that got to do with racing or owning a Stang,I have CONSTANTLY owned Stangs for over 30 years,you? I may be new to THESE boards but that has nothing to do with issue. I can debate the fact that you are Canadian but that has nothing also to do with the issue.Stick to the facts or stay out of the debate and dont let this get personal.

Jack,owner current and past of over 20 Mustangs

Old 10-27-2002, 02:32 PM   #33
Special K
Registered Member

And as you can see in my signature I used to own a Mustang 5.0L!

What you cant see is:

My brother also used to own a Mustang...

And my father drive a 1967 Mustang Convertible...

Im a domestic cars hater who come here to troll!
Old 10-27-2002, 04:11 PM   #34
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

According to the infomation posted here, that is one mean CIVIC. More power to the owner and respect to any decent looking Civic (or import) with even 12 or 13s 1/4-mile times. Wish there were more serious import owners around like that and less foreign (and domestic) rice.

BTW, is it just me or has it been like forever since you've been here Special K? How's everything.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 10-27-2002, 05:57 PM   #35
Special K
Registered Member

I come around once a week to read the posts. Im less interested into Mustang stuff since most of my friends now drive Honduh!

We are pretty much all into racing! Some do SoloI or road racing. The others drag racing! We are all building our cars right now! Im getting a turbo! I still have a couple of parts to get. Like injectors, BOV, Gauge, But I have the turbo, manifold, downpipe, intercooler, etc... sitting in my basement!

Im targeting ~200 whp and mid-high 13s! I should be able to do that for ~3000$.

Im trying to do the same setup then my friend! He ran 11.91 @ 121 mph two weeks ago! He was very pls since he is still running a stock block and also stock rods! The head is also 100% stock! He got a 1.6 engine just like mine!

Winter is going to be sooooooo long!

psssssssssht!

Thats my friend on the pic. Guess who won!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:04 PM   #36
inferno
The Instigator

Ahhhhh...the good old days. I remember when Special K first got his Civic...back when there were suprisingly more open minded individuals on this board. There were also quite a few f-body members and even a few mopar guys. I agree that this is primarily a Stang cite, but most real car enthusiast don't care about brand or cost....they care about performance...and if your car performs, it does. No need to argue costs, or the vehicles origins as a grocery getter....if it runs, it runs period.