MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2002, 02:17 AM   #1
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Red face Lost to a Camaro

I'm on the freeway this evening, and I'm testing and tuning my LX.

I see this Camaro pass by me in the fast lane. I pull along side him at 80, and we both go for it. Man, this Camaro goes like stink. He's done something to his motor and it's obvious. I downshift to fourth, watching the R's climb on the tack, and we're dead even. Until I hit about 4,500 RPM that is. I need a new spark box, and I'm running on the factory ignition...12 psi boost and a stock ignition don't work together...you blower guys know what I mean. My engine starts to sputter...I ease off some...the Camaro gains a length...my engine is still sputtering, so I short-shift into fith...the Camaro gains another length...at least my engine isn't sputtering so the Camaro isn't gaining anymore ground.

Fifth gear is starting to wind out when I finally look at the speedo...holy @#$...we're both going about 150 and coming upon traffic....

I gotta admit, the Camaro won. If I had a working MSD, the outcome should have been all Ford, but the fact of the matter is I lost. I'd still like to know what the Camaro had in it.

There will be another day

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 03:43 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

So what year/model camaro was this?

Win some, lose some, that's why we play the game!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 11:26 AM   #3
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Get a MSD and find him for a rematch!
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Damn, that's a nice setup you have, I have seen similar setups in my friend's shop and the cars are usually low 11/high 10 second cars. if it was an LS1, it definitely had some heavy mods like heads, cams or a poweradder. I lost to a spraying 98 SS with 100 shot when I had the V2 S-trim. That was a low 12/high 11 second SS. I'm sure once you get your setup together, it will be a different story.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:48 AM   #5
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo99GT
Damn, that's a nice setup you have, I have seen similar setups in my friend's shop and the cars are usually low 11/high 10 second cars. if it was an LS1, it definitely had some heavy mods like heads, cams or a poweradder. I lost to a spraying 98 SS with 100 shot when I had the V2 S-trim. That was a low 12/high 11 second SS. I'm sure once you get your setup together, it will be a different story.
Thanks for the responses. What year Camaro was it? It was dark, I couldn't tell if it was a Z or SS or the year.

My bad for losing. I knew my ignition was no good, but the Camaro looked stock...

I installed 38 lb. injectors and BFG Drag Radials a few days ago - 275/40/17 size. The Tremec and scattershield were also installed, and I'm anxious to get a timeslip.

'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
Old 04-04-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
trey193
Registered Member

Hey Turbo 99 I saw your car in the MM&FF for sure a nice ride and runs as good as it looks!! My question to U is we just bought my wife an 00 Electric Green GT 4R70W, what mods bang for the buck should be done starting off, not including gears, what worked best on your car before U went all out and what were some of your times at first, mainly exhaust what is the best setup for intermediate pipe X or H and I am installing weld in 2 chambers and keeping the stock catback. I am hoping it will go 14.20 at beech bend in a few weeks bone stock and 7000 miles, any help would be appreciated. Thanks Trey
93 Cobra> Red with black cloth, 17,000 miles, stock longblock with E-cam and motorsport valve springs, C&L 76, A9L computer, AFPR, 255intank, ASP Pulleys, Longtubes and full exhaust, 3.55's everything else is stock down to the sparkplugs! Best et to date is 12.85@108.9 on BFG's. 1.95 60ft so there is more in it!! pics @ www.southrides.com
trey193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:37 PM   #7
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

He probaly sprayed, the ls1 responds to n20 well, as does the 5.0, I seen a t/a spraying a 100 shot go mid 11's with e.t. streets, but also seen a 6psi supercharged 96 cobra run it on nittos and 373 grs, the t/a barely beat the cobra, with slicks things might have been different.

get That crane ignition or msd, should be pulling way more revs, the boost is blowing out the spark.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #8
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe5oh
get That crane ignition or msd, should be pulling way more revs, the boost is blowing out the spark.
I splurged yesterday and bought the MSD Digital 6 from Hawaii Racing. It was $289, but it puts out more 30% more spark energy than the 6AL and has some added features.

Next on the list are Iridium plugs.

Why do I always spend money I don't have?

'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
Old 04-04-2002, 05:03 PM   #9
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I never heard of those plugs, I know what you mean, i just blew some money i didnt have on some welds, and sportman pros, after tax, lugnuts, tire mounting, it started getting expensive$$.
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:06 PM   #10
ricekilla
Registered Member

i was running 9 psi w/ a stock ignition and when i got on the boost hard sometimes my car would quit pulling. i would hit a big *** flat spot which was embarrasing as hell on the track. i got beat by hondas a few times cuz of it. i'd say its about time to ante up for a MSD.
89 GT, 3.55's, longtubes, pro chamber, flowpath dumps, mac uppers and lowers+ pinion snubber, underdrive pullies, 70mm t-body, 190 lph penis pump, mildly home ported E7'S by the kid hisself, nitto drag radials..... 13.4 @ 106......... on nitto drag raidials. spinning like gangbusters......

chevy silverado w/ a full works suzuki RM 250 and a full works honda fourtrax 250R (girlfriends bike) in the back, moto x'in it up bro!
ricekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:21 PM   #11
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Thumbs up now it sounds like time for a rematch

did you check out corral.net or any sites online before you bought that MSD? there are usually some good deals. with your setup, and your new MSD it sounds like you might be ready for some slicks or E.T. Streets, what do you think?
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:32 PM   #12
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Too late...already bought the MSD Digital 6. It doesn't function. I carefully replaced the wires from my 6T with those from the Digital 6. I tried to start the engine...nothing. Then I put the box on my Lightning to see if it would work there, again...nfg.

There's almost zero chance of it being wired wrong. First, it's a simple wiring job which I checked over and over. Second, I have a degree in electrical engineering.

So I'm calling MSD on Monday morning to see what what's up. I'm irritated after spending $300 for something that doesn't work!

As for the tires, yeah, the ET streets or slicks would be ideal. The drag radials are for everyday use (I don't drive it that much, might as well have fun, right?).

'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
Old 04-08-2002, 05:17 AM   #13
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Lightbulb been there!!!

i have actually had problems with my MSD before. just mail it to them, i actually just got mine back from them. the reason i said check for a used one, rather than paying 300 dollars is because you can buy a used one and send it in for a brand new one if you say it doesnt work. they are really good about fixing their products.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:34 AM   #14
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Thumbs up MSD Has Good Service

I just spoke to MSD. They said bring it to the place of purchase and exchange it for a new one. No waiting, no hassle. That's very cool. I like that.

As you suggested, I'll send in my old 6T for repair. MSD says $55 max charge for refurbishing the 6T...then I'll put it on my vintage 'stang. This is good.

'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
Old 04-08-2002, 11:07 AM   #15
vtec8ter
Registered Member

glad to hear it worked out for you. now put the stickers on when you race, and win... and you will get a little extra cash
Old 04-08-2002, 01:26 PM   #16
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

LOL I lost to one the other day too... But I knew I was gonna lose!! The guy had a HUGE blower sticking out of the hood... It was all fun though... It was actually a sweet car, I'd like to see that thing again just to check it out.