MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   lost to a prelude fly-by (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=20351)

84LX89GT 03-06-2002 11:44 PM

lost to a prelude fly-by

I was just driving home (wednesday night) and i was eager to get home so i was going pretty quick up a hill and onto a flat spot when i see some blue headlights behind me flashing. I slowed down and this guy comes flying up and doesn't even slow down to start equal with me so as he's about dead even with my car (which i didn't expect AT ALL!) when i down shift at about 40mph and by the time i have the pedal mashed he has an instant 5 cars on me. I'm reeling him in up to about 110 (about 1/2 a car length between us now) and i missed 5th gear 3 times. So needless to say he whooped me after that and did the mandatory cut into my lane with his signal manuever.
Now there's one more mid 90's prelude owner bragging about beating a 5.0L mustang :mad: . Oh well, after the "race" i drove by him and he gave me a thumbs up so he was a good sport about cheating so i returned the favor. There should be a manual about racing etiquitte (spelling?) for ricers.....this was one flyby that i couldn't quite squash.
I lost for the first time.....or did I?

Coupe5oh 03-07-2002 02:15 AM

Naw you didnt lose, but you should have yelled over at him to line them up evenly, once a car flys bye around 90, and you are going 40, it is impossible, because he is going to top out, and shut down before you can make up the differance in speed.

preludes are kinda nice, but aint going to hang with a v8 mustang....

84LX89GT 03-07-2002 10:26 PM

When he gave me a thumbs up was when i wanted to line up again, but he quickly pulled into a parking lot after i responded to him. He had slowed down and i caught up because i though he actually wanted to have a fair race, but instead he gave me the thumbs up and ducked out into the lot. Needless to say, after giving him the thumbs up i was pissed at myself. I should have just let the @ss do the fly by and return to the speed limit so he didn't even think i was trying....oh well, hopefully i'll someday get enough power where a ricer can get 10 car lengths and i'll still blow by them in a matter of seconds.

95mustanggt 03-08-2002 10:14 AM

Ricer and etiquitte don't belong in the same sentence. Kind of like froozen fire.

Those guys will take advantage of you any way they can. I've even had guys race me when I'm behind other cars, not paying attention. I'm sure there are guys in civics that have pulled next to a parked mustang, driven off quick and say they've beet a V8 Mustang:rolleyes:

Such is the world we live in.:confused:

inferno 03-08-2002 01:23 PM

I would consider it a loss because you tried to catch back up and weren't able to....you should have just let him fly by or flashed your brights on him to get him to slow down to race from a stop.

7000rpmisheaven 03-08-2002 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by inferno
I would consider it a loss because you tried to catch back up and weren't able to....you should have just let him fly by or flashed your brights on him to get him to slow down to race from a stop.
Inferno I have never considered you a ricer by any means. But seriously. You can't consider it a loss if a guy goes flying past and you are unable to catch up. Put yourself in the import guys shoes. If you went flying past this guy going alot faster than would you say that had beat him. I agree though he shouldn't have tried to catch up. But like 95mustanggt said some ricers will go out and tell all their buddies that he beat a mustang like it was standing still.