MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2001, 04:36 PM   #1
84stangLX

Angry almost lost to prelude!!!

I was driving about 30 minutes ago back to my house from a local safeway when i spotted a ricer with a big yellow VTEC sticker on his lowered Red prelude (early to mid 90's type, the rounder body style). Anyways he pulls behind me, on a 4 lane road and proceeds to tailgate me because i'm going faster than the people in the left lane and i guess he wanted to speed. We go through a stop light and to the top of a steep hill and i pull in front of the people in the left lane and wait for him to gun it past me. I put it in 3rd gear waiting for him get even with me and i hear him down shift and gun it when he's even with my door. I punched it and we're dead even at about 35 miles per hour (which is the speed limit). His car is pretty loud and i start approaching 4500 rpm (which with my sickly engine is screaming) going about 75 miles per hour (wasn't really paying attention to speed, but i was at 4500rpm), and at this point i'm about a foot in front of him and when i shift i gain about another foot. At about 85 i see him slam on his brakes and take a quick right into a neighbor hood off of the road. I probably would have gotten a better jump had i put it in 2nd gear because i usually shift from 2nd at about 50 (with my stock gearing), but i feel bad because this ricer kept up with me and now he'll probably tell his buddies he smoked a 5.0 mustang. Now i'm really ready to start adding power to my car, i was almost embarrased that he kept up with me. He had at least intake and exhaust, but that's no excuse.... I think it's time for an 8.8" with 3.73 gears i've been procrastinating on getting and a new engine soon (running on 7 cylinders gets old quickly). How fast (or slow) are those Preludes???

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-27-2001, 07:27 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You probably would have killed him from a dead stop but those preludes pick up pretty good once they get going.

In one of my magazines That body style of prelude with the V-tech engine beat a Z-28 camaro around a circle track when it was first road tested. cause of its ability to hold speed through the corners.

I have seen preludes run low 14's with
bolt-ons and a good driver. Take off 4 tenths for the crappy air where I live and you have a high 13 sec. car.

All in all I think that the prelude is a respectable sports car.

Im gonna have to quote the fast and the furious here........"Any real racer will tell you that a win is a win weather its by an inch or a mile"

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
best 60 ft 2.14, best 1/8th 9.65, best 1/4 15.2 @89mph, Stock gears and 3000+ Altitude
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:29 AM   #3
84stangLX

thanks 5.0, you cheered me up some

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car