MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-24-2002, 01:00 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default LS1, cmon now!

I pulled up next to a silver LS1 Z28 today, and I let him take the jump (big mistake, but it happened too fast!!) Pulled up next to him, heard him downshift, so I floored it!
He put an instant 1 1/2 - 2 cars on me, but once I had it to the floor, I started SLOWLY pulling on him! We took it up to about 100, when a car suddenly pulled out in front of him. He SLAMMED his brakes on, and later on down the road I threw up the peace sign, and he returned it. So, nice guy. He had different exhuast (round tips rather than the stock ones) but I have NO clue what other mods he had. This is only my second run-in with an LS1 Z from a roll, and both times I've been pretty close to them. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that real world LS1's arent piloted by the best of them. I'm sure there are those that run high 12's with exhaust when driven by skilled drivers, but the one's I've seen can't be better than 13.6 or so.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The automatic LS1's are the ones that I worry about. I think you are right the LS1 with an average driver runs a mid 13.

Before my heads and intake the LS1's owned my @ss, Now I give as good as I get. They are fun to race.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Sweet run. Sounds like you held your own. Good show. Was it a 6 spd do you know and what MPH roll?

I have an A4 and have only lost once to a 6 spd. My A4 seems to be very consistent mid 13s. I have taken the LS1 down the track about 50 times already.
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
KEVSWS6
Registered Member

I ran mid 13's when I was stock. I think the best I did was a 13.3 or 13.4 but I had a lot of 13.5 and 13.6's

http://community.webshots.com/user/kevsws6/
KEVSWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquaman
Registered Member

Default Re: LS1, cmon now!

Quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
I pulled up next to a silver LS1 Z28 todayheard him downshift, so I floored it!
He put an instant 1 1/2 - 2 cars on me, but once I had it to the floor, I started SLOWLY pulling on him!
Not trying to Flame but this statement is confusing to me.

You say
1.he downshifted
2.You floored it
3.He pulled 1.5-2 cars
4.You floored it and started pulling him?

By my count you floored it twice?!?
Old 06-24-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: LS1, cmon now!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaman

Not trying to Flame but this statement is confusing to me.

You say
1.he downshifted
2.You floored it
3.He pulled 1.5-2 cars
4.You floored it and started pulling him?

By my count you floored it twice?!?
I don't take it as a flame. I think I see what you're saying...

Let me explain this portion more clearly. He downshifted, or whatever, meaning I heard his exhaust begin to scream, his rear squatted, and he was off. Then, I floored it (as he was putting that 1.5-2 cars on me) and by "when my foot was to the floor" I meant to say the part where my stupid automatic finally kicked down from 4th to 2nd, and that's when I started to pull, I think. Is that what was confusing you? Cause in the auto's, there is still that slight delay from "foot to the floor" to "actually moving!!" lol.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 06-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EZRIDN
Sweet run. Sounds like you held your own. Good show. Was it a 6 spd do you know and what MPH roll?

I don't know for sure if it was manual or auto, since I was never able to talk to the guy, but just judging from the sound and the way he kicked it down so quick, I'd have to think it was an M6. We were doing I'd say 50mph when he hit it, and when the woman jumped out in front of him, I slammed my brakes, and saw my speedo climbing back down from above 100, but my speedo reads high cause I messed it up. We probably took it to about 95-100 before we were interuppted.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 06-24-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

I always shift my C-4 manually when racing. I would never wait on the downshift linkage and would never let the governor decide the shift points. I have no experience with the AOD's, but it doesn't seem wise to let the tranny work in the "automatic" mode when racing.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:10 PM   #9
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Its hard to catch up when someone has the jump on you.

I have to say a lot of people dont pick the right gear when downshifting, because they are afraid of hitting to high rpms.

The key to street encounters is knowing the best downshift at any speed.

I love dropping 2nd at 40mph :-D

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:59 AM   #10
INVINCISTANG
Registered Member

Do those 4.10s help when you race from a punch? I'm sure they probably do, but I was wondering if there was a big difference from stock?
INVINCISTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 01:42 PM   #11
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by INVINCISTANG
Do those 4.10s help when you race from a punch? I'm sure they probably do, but I was wondering if there was a big difference from stock?

When I hit it going like 75+, I don't feel a big difference. However, the difference from stock when I hit it down low is incredible. Gears are a definite mod for NA stangs. I'll probably take them out when the S-Trim goes in though.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 06-27-2002, 11:33 PM   #12
86 Grand Marqui
Registered Member

Location: Dover, Delaware...Ft.Pierce, Florida...Hiawassee, Georgia...Las Vegas, Nevada.

I am assuming u were in your 2000GT. With the Mods U stated, unless I missed something, U r either VERY fast for the Mods or he is VERY slow. The Cars u described down here where I live ALL run faster than 12.7 with little or NO mods. I know 1 that runs consistent 11.80's. NO internal Engine work and NO Spray. Sounds Like u r Flying! Keep it up.
86 Grand Marqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 12:32 AM   #13
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 86 Grand Marqui
I am assuming u were in your 2000GT. With the Mods U stated, unless I missed something, U r either VERY fast for the Mods or he is VERY slow. The Cars u described down here where I live ALL run faster than 12.7 with little or NO mods. I know 1 that runs consistent 11.80's. NO internal Engine work and NO Spray. Sounds Like u r Flying! Keep it up.
I'm probably about 13.5 or so, if I can hook up. But, my trap would likely be about 102, and that's not anywhere near an LS1. I was trying to show that the LS1's we see on the streets aren't typically piloted by the best of em, and thus can be defeated in certain circumstances. My stang is a good runner, but not that great!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: