MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   LT1 Z28 for breakfast (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=24083)

blue00gt 05-21-2002 12:49 PM

LT1 Z28 for breakfast

On my way to work this morning I noticed a white late '90s Z28 coming up on me fast. We got into a 4 lane section and a light turned red for us. It turned out to be a buddy of mine who has always been into Mustangs. He said he just bought a Cobra and it was getting detailed, so he borrowed his friend's manual LT1 Z28. I've raced him when he had a Fox 5.0, and I know he can drive. We both launched a little cautiously so as not to spin. I picked up about 1/2 a car at the top of first after I let the clutch all the way out. I went hard into 2nd and spun 'em a little, but it didn't seem to hurt. By the top of 2nd I had about a car length on him and was still pulling on him. I saw a cop way up ahead so we shut 'em down. Didn't get a chance to ask him if it had any mods.
I guess with roughly the same horsepower and me having a weight advantage, he didn't have too much of a chance.
He's supposed to give me a call this afternoon so I can race his Cobra. Not sure what year it is.

StoplightWarrior 05-21-2002 01:27 PM

Nice kill. You never know what you're gonna get when you run an LT1. I pulled a car on my friend's 97 when I just had pulleys and a K&N, then I got absolutely raped by another LT1 a few weeks later.

I think you'd better be safe and get that blower :D

ricekilla 05-22-2002 02:34 PM

thats true. LT1'S and LS1'S are either on or off. i know one that runs 14's stock and i know one that runs high 12's stock.

2001 WS6 TA 05-22-2002 07:37 PM

Quote:

thats true. LT1'S and LS1'S are either on or off. i know one that runs 14's stock and i know one that runs high 12's stock
I agree, I went to the track a few weeks a ago and this guy with a covertible vette was running consitant 14s, he could not break into the 13, he had a 14.0, 14.1 and 14.3. It was a 6M, and I think he just doesn't know how to drive stick or something, he was getting 2.3 60".
And then the other extreme I saw a 2000 or 2001 Formula WS6(not a trans am) do a 12.8

Mercury 05-23-2002 01:39 AM

They didnt make Formula WS-6's did they? I thought all WS-6's were Trans Ams. At least thats what the FireBird gang I used to hang out with told me.

My ex (I actually miss her:( ) Drives a 6 spd 2001 WS-6 Trans Am.

2001 WS6 TA 05-23-2002 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mercury
They didnt make Formula WS-6's did they? I thought all WS-6's were Trans Ams. At least thats what the FireBird gang I used to hang out with told me.

My ex (I actually miss her:( ) Drives a 6 spd 2001 WS-6 Trans Am.

They do make a WS-6 Formula but it's very, very rare, I think there were only a couple hundred made. I think it might be slightly faster than the Trans Am, because it doesn't have the ground effects that the TA has. I personally like the TA a lot better, it's got the higher spoiler and a nicer nose, IMO