MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2001, 09:23 PM   #1
93CobraR
Registered Member

Question Will my car pass emmsions?

Well, I got some bad news. I just sold my car. I have had it since I was 13 and the day I bought it my dad said he never was going to let me drive it, so I had to make it worse. I made it faster. I just now relized that I'm not going to be able to drive it and I'm sick of dumping my money into it. So I found a 65 Fastback 289 Hi-po 4spd. that I'm going to buy. Anyway the guy that bought it has to take it threw emmisons, and I need to get it to pass. So do you guys think it will just pass if I throw a set of cats on it? It DOESN'T have a smog pump, or and of the lines for the smog stuff, also it has the ports in the back of the heads pluged off. My other mods are in my sig. Thanks alot.

------------------
87 GT, Cobra R's,GT-40 heads,Crane 2031,1.7's, Edelbrock intake, long tubes,BBK cold air, Mass air,pulleys,Pro 5.0, King Cobra,Lakewood Lift Bars,50/50's,subframes, 4.10's.
Best time 12.759
Best MPH 106.79
Best 60' 1.695

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html

93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 01:22 AM   #2
D&R Stang

There's something called the "Grandfather Clause". It basically states that if the car didn't come with it, then it doesn't have to have it. When I had my 69, I never had to worry about smog and neither should you. You should not have to pass any emissions tests with that car because it never had smog equipment on it to begin with. I would definately not worry about it. I was living in VA when I had my 69, and unless they're doing something weird where you are, this should apply to you as well.

------------------
Dave & Robin 88 GT, T5
306, polished crank, Speed Pro Powerforged pistons, ARP rod bolts, underdrive Crank pulley, 73mm MAF, Xtreme Energy Cam, 3.73's, 1-5/8 unequal length headers, Offroad H-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn-downs, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda adjustable clutch cable with firewall adjuster, 190lph fuel pump, Hurst Shifter, MSD 6AL and coil
Old 10-21-2001, 08:13 AM   #3
93CobraR
Registered Member

No, I'm talking about for my 87 Gt. Thanks anyway.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:25 PM   #4
Mustang_289
Registered Member

I live in VA and the laws to the best of my knowledge haven't changed. If a car didn't come with smog gear such as cats there is no problem with passing emmissions.

That's one of the beauties about owning a pre-smog vehicle, no smog, no cats, no drain on HP!
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:37 PM   #5
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Here in Mass the buyer of the car can return it to you and demand the money back if it won't pass inspection which includes the full dyno emissions test on all 84 and newer cars and trucks.

Without any of the smog pump hardware and with offroad H pipe it will be tough to pass a full sniffer test and could fail a visual inspection at the least. Each state has different rules regarding this, MASS does no visual inspection, if it blows clean they dont care how you did it.
( climbing on soapbox)
I still don't understand why everyone tears out all the smog pump stuff, the pump has a minimal power drain and not passing emmissions really sucks cus you have to get it re-tested etc... ( Off soapbox)

------------------
Frank W 90 5.0 LX Notch MAC 2.5"cat bk FMS alu ds, MSD coil, MAC shifter 2.73 gears user site
88 Notch 2.3L FOR SALE! My two Notchbacks
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 now 454 soon My web site
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:22 PM   #6
93CobraR
Registered Member

Well, I sold the car to a buddie of mine and I'm not really worried about him wanting to sell it back. This is my QUESTION if we put a set of cats on it will it pass without the smog pump and the ports in the back of the heads being plugged? The H-pipe will just be on there long enough to get it tested and then it will come off. He already took it and they said everything under the hood looked fine, just he needs to get a set of cats on it before they will even test the car. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:22 AM   #7
PKRWUD

John Force could pass smog with a decent set of cats, but, without the smog pump to feed air to them to get them to the right temperature, you may just be chasing your tail.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:50 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

You will need the cats. I survived the test easily w/ no pump and a mild cam and surprised the hell out of the 10 dudes that were drinking beer in the back of the Ford dealership when it did pass!

------------------
Just need the sticker!

Red 1993 GT
1969 351 block w/393 stroker. Edlebrock Performer heads and Performer RPM EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. JMS chip & MSD ignition.
Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 06:15 AM   #9
Mustang_289
Registered Member

You won't need cats on the car if it didn't come with them or smog pump.. I would suggest talking to someone who does inspections. He can give you a print out of requirements for your Stang's year.. When my son and I were researching to upgrade our 88GTs exhaust I went to local inspector and he was very willing to provide info. He even made a copy of the emissions specs for our 88GT for us.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:27 PM   #10
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang_289:
[B]You won't need cats on the car if it didn't come with them or smog pump.. B]
That year car did come w/cats and smog pump as he has mentioned a few times.

I have heard to drive to the testing area, then let your car cool off for about 30 minutes, then have it tested. I have no idea what the purpose of this is though. I have also heard people say to pull one of the plug wires before you have it tested.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Tremec, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Wires, Ram Air, K&N, 73mm MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, BBK Headers, Hurst Shifter, 3:73 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC, smog, and rear seat deleted, battery relocated
Awaiting new heads, intake, custom cam
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 09:32 PM   #11
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Why would you sell the car? Your 17 right? Is your dad really going to be able to tell you you can't drive it next year?

You've been going to the track too it seems like.

Why would he let you drive another mustang? Just because its slower?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 10:06 PM   #12
93CobraR
Registered Member

Yea, I sold it because he said that I was never going to be able to drive it because it was too fast, and I have a good relationship with him, and wouldn't want to pack my bags up and leave at 18 with the car. Yea, I used to take it to the track every week. He would put it on the trailer, take it up and I would drive.
I was kinda getting sick of looking at the thing anyway. The right deal came up and I took it. I bought the car for $3000 and sold it for $8000. I found a nice 89 Lx 5.0 5 spd. It needs a fender and thats it. I was thinking I could pick it up for next to nothing and drop like a blown 347 in it or something. But then I thought about it, I would be back in the same boat. I don't really know what I want to so..... I got a stack of cash, so I'm sure I will figure it out.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:09 AM   #13
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Sorry about that - I read your original post where you were talking about a 69 stang. 87 does have smog and cats therefore you will need those to pass emissions in VA.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:07 PM   #14
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Talking

Put the cats on and you should be fine. Find the shadiest inspection station you can and try there first.

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires, Chromed '95 Cobra R's (bought for $19.95, now 2 are warped!).
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1883
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote