MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-21-2002, 04:45 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Default Mallory Hi-Fire 6 AL?

I recently installed a Mallory Hi-Fire 6 AL capacitive discharge ignition box on my car. Can't really say that I can tell any difference. I G-Tech'ed it 0-60 before and after and there wasn't any significant difference in the times. I always have heard that if you have a good ignition, there's really not too much to be gained there. Looks like that may be true. Any experience, comment, or opinion is welcome.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:29 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Hey Rev,
I don't have any experience with your particular box, but I'm not terribly fond of Mallory. Admittedly, this is mostly because when I did buy a lot of Mallory parts (15+ years ago), they were notoriously junk. I have had several customers that had newer Mallory components that failed prematurely, but not enough to honestly be able to label them as junk. The coil in our Sprint car is a Mallory, and it works, but I would still be hesitant to recommend their products.

Of course, you didn't ask me that, did you?

The increase in power gained from an ignition system upgrade depends largely on what it's replacing. If you are replacing a standard points ignition system, you should notice gains, specifically easier starting and a better top end. If you were replacing a good EEC-IV ignition system, the difference would be minimal, noticable.

IMHO, the plug wires are the single most important part of the ignition system. After all, the best ignition system in the world won't do you much good if it can't get to the plugs.

Take care,
Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:20 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

I tend to agree with you PKRWUD. That may sound strange as my whole ignition system is Mallory. Unilite dist, coil, wires. I ended up with that because I was dealing with SuperShops before their demise and that's mostly what they sold. When I decided to get the capacitive discharge box, I went ahead with the Mallory box because the rest of the system is Mallory.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:35 AM   #4
PKRWUD

LOL!!!

That's the same reason I got into Mallory when I had my Chevelle; Slop Shops! I swear to you, half of the Mallory products, BlackJack headers, Centerline satin finished Auto Drags, Moroso valve covers/air cleaners/oil pans, Pos-A-Traction Torque Twisters, and Sig Erson cams that were sold in the 1980's and 1990's were sold at Super Shops! When I was wet behind the ears, I thought that place was soooo cool. Funny how the more I learned, the more they became full blown idiots! I didn't realize they were in Texas, too. I almost made a Slop Shops remark in my first post, but figured you wouldn't know what I was referring to.

Still though, the bottom line is: if it works, great! Who cares who makes it.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: