MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
98GTBlkConv
Registered Member

Question Stock 1998 GT Convertible Upgrades

Hello! I am a new user of this forum, and am, in fact,new to message boards all together. Anyway, if I come off as a newbie, I appologize in advance.

Last fall I purchased a 1998 GT Convertible (only 22k miles). I would like to keep the car relatively stock, but would like to gain some performance from it. I do not intend to take it to the strip, but would like some more hp. I have added a Flowmaster American Thunder Series exhaust, and a K&N intake system to it. I have heard many conflicting opinions on underdrive pulleys, but most seem to think they do not truly increase hp. Additionally, I have considered a chip, but since the car is 5-speed, have heard there is not much of a power gain. Any suggestions that aren't too "radical" would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am in need of some new, good tires and would appreciate suggesions. I consider good tires important and would rather pay more for good rubber than skimp.

Thanks!
98GTBlkConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Get a set of 3.73 rear gears. That will really wake the car up!

Not much you can do with the engine, without spending some money. I have under drive pulley's on my 95 GT and I noticed a difference for sure.

Gears, go with Gears.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:44 PM   #3
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Cool

Welcome to the board!! I too have a 98 gt convertible and I'm getting ready to get some gears put on it. I've kept mine pretty much stock, but the mods I've made have made me pretty happy. I'd recommend the Steeda Triax shifter, stock is very sloppy, the shock tower brace and some subs to stiffen up the body, the clutch quadrant, this will give you a better feel when you shift. I've also had the pulleys done, and you will notice a small difference, but most of these mods basically make your Stang ride a lot nicer, if you're looking for HP your best bet will be to get a blower, or if you don't want to spend that much, go for the head swap kit, that's probably my next mod when I have the funds. I can't wait until I get the gears!!
98 GT convrtble, March Underdrive pulleys, K&N filter, homemade ram air, Steeda Tri-ax shifter and Strut Tower Brace, billett MOMO shift knob, billett a/c knobs, billett emergency brake handle, UPr's cable adjuster and triple pick-up quadrant, smoked headlight covers.
EC98GTcnvrtble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

Get the gears!! Most noticable seat of the pants gain. No Hp in gears but it is way better than the money you spend on bolt ons. Pullies are OK some increase. Untill you get a 99 or newer a blower is the only wat to go.

P.S. - Welcome to the board. There is alot of help here!!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
98GTBlkConv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
Get a set of 3.73 rear gears. That will really wake the car up!

Not much you can do with the engine, without spending some money. I have under drive pulley's on my 95 GT and I noticed a difference for sure.

Gears, go with Gears.
Thanks for the information. I guess adding to the hp is not necessary if the gears "wake the car" up. Is the 3.73 ratio better for low or high end? I am most interested in the 0-75 mph range and am not concerned with top end.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
98GTBlkConv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC98GTcnvrtble
Welcome to the board!! I too have a 98 gt convertible and I'm getting ready to get some gears put on it. I've kept mine pretty much stock, but the mods I've made have made me pretty happy. I'd recommend the Steeda Triax shifter, stock is very sloppy, the shock tower brace and some subs to stiffen up the body, the clutch quadrant, this will give you a better feel when you shift. I've also had the pulleys done, and you will notice a small difference, but most of these mods basically make your Stang ride a lot nicer, if you're looking for HP your best bet will be to get a blower, or if you don't want to spend that much, go for the head swap kit, that's probably my next mod when I have the funds. I can't wait until I get the gears!!
Thanks for the reply. I have considered gears and am leaning that way now. How much money should it cost to have gears installed? Also, is a shifter difficult to install?

I have been thinking about some suspension modifications as well. Is there a good kit including struts (or shocks)/springs? I have been looking at an Eibach kit for lowering the car. What do you think?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:22 AM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

With 3.73's I can cruise easily at 75 mph. I think mine cost me $400 for the gears, install, oils, seals, etc.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Talking

I'm considering the Eiback Pro-Kit too, a couple of the guys on this board have them and seem pretty happy w/ them, should give your Stang a better stance w/ out having to get cc plates. The shifter is very easy to install, took me about 30-45 minutes to get mine on w/ out any prior knowledge of how to do.
98 GT convrtble, March Underdrive pulleys, K&N filter, homemade ram air, Steeda Tri-ax shifter and Strut Tower Brace, billett MOMO shift knob, billett a/c knobs, billett emergency brake handle, UPr's cable adjuster and triple pick-up quadrant, smoked headlight covers.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
98GTBlkConv
Registered Member

Default CC Plate?

Quote:
Originally posted by EC98GTcnvrtble
I'm considering the Eiback Pro-Kit too, a couple of the guys on this board have them and seem pretty happy w/ them, should give your Stang a better stance w/ out having to get cc plates. The shifter is very easy to install, took me about 30-45 minutes to get mine on w/ out any prior knowledge of how to do.
Excuse me for being an idiot, but what is are cc plates?
Old 02-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #10
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Smile

Don't wory about it, I didn't know what they were either, they're caster/camber plates that sit on your shock towers so that you can have the car properly aligned. If you drop your car 2" or more then it's hard to get it aligned correctly w/ out these plates. The Pro-Kit will drop your car about 1.5 ", so you won't have a problem w/ the alignment. Hope this helps out.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:13 AM   #11
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
If you drop your car 2" or more then it's hard to get it aligned correctly w/ out these plates. The Pro-Kit will drop your car about 1.5 ", so you won't have a problem w/ the alignment. Hope this helps out.
Actually, that's not EXACTLY correct....

It depends on the car and how close to "perfect" you want your alignment. C\C plates helped me dial-in my alignment much easier after the Pro-Kit install.

I always recommend c\c plates after any substantial changes in the vehicle's stance, along with some offset rack bushings to deal with bump-steer.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote