MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2001, 11:48 PM   #1
1BadMoFo5.0

Post MX-6's and Probe's???

My friend has a 93 MX6 and I am always on mx6.com helping out some heads on there. But here lately everyone is talking about how they have been blowing away Mustangs and now even a 300 ZX Twin Turbo. I was like what the hay. Anyway I urge you to check it out and see if what they have to say is worth anything.

------------------
90' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang. 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. Too much to list here so if you want to know ask me.
AOL name: Woodnutz351
Old 03-09-2001, 02:55 AM   #2
84stang83zephyr

Lightbulb

Depends on how much boost their turbo, blower, or how much HP their Nitrous is giving them when they do the fly by after they get their butt kicked....seriously, those are like 16 second cars stock (if that) so i can believe if there's some serious mods they can beat a stock mustang or 300ZX but when i think of sports cars the MX6 is not very high on that list. BUt hell you can make anything go fast with enough money....whatever....

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, more coming soon
Old 03-09-2001, 07:07 AM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

I'm with 84stang on this. I suppose you can make anything fast with enough cash, but '93 Probe's weren't exactly hot rods. The '96 GTs weren't too bad. One almost beat me back when I was still running stock (ahhh the good ole' days). As for a 300ZX TT, total crap. Not unless they've got some serious mods under their belts. And where are you gonna fit a turbo/blower in a Probe?

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 12:35 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Mazda MX-6 is a Probe. 2.5L DOHC 24v V-6 making 164hp out of the box for the top models. The cars were usually good for mid/low 15's stock with the 5spd, little aftermarket parts availability makes them hang in that area.

Beating a 300ZX TT. Maybe an old one, like an '86. Not a '91 or newer. Mustang GT, not unless they were running something older than 1987, maybe a CFI 85-86. Thost cars were turds.

N20 is probably their only hope, old gen turbo Probes might get more power from upping the boost, but they need to make up about 1/2sec additional versus the 2.5L V-6's.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 02:15 PM   #5
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

Well from personal experience
the mx-6 gt is a very fast
car. My father had 2 89gt's
and a 626GT. During high
school I would cruize the
local area and race mustangs
with it and won alot of the
time. So don't think because
of it being a 4 cyl turbo
that it won't stick with you.
They have an amazing off the
line speed. This was one of
the best cars I have ever
driven. And when the turbo
would kick in around 3 grand
you had to make sure you had
a hold of the steering wheel
or it would pull out from
under you. But if it is a
newer one then they don't
have turbos. Sad mistake on
Mazda's part.

------------------
94 Mustang Cobra: off-road h-pipe, 3:73 gears, motersports underdrive pulleys, MAC cold air induction, MAC 1 1/2 inch lowering springs, K&N Air filter, Maximum Motersports caster/camber plates. steeda tri-ax shifter, Motorsports King Cobra Clutch with Steeda Cable Linkage.(its a gripper!)
94 Thunderbird SC: only mod is a K&N air filter. But she runs very well and hard.
WHITECOBRAGIRL94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 02:18 AM   #6
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by WHITECOBRAGIRL94:
Sad mistake on
Mazda's part.

Nope....that was Ford's idea.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 02:25 AM   #7
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302:

Mustang GT, not unless they were running something older than 1987, maybe a CFI 85-86. Thost cars were turds.
Hummmmm....sure

------------------
'86 GT.
Gears & Flows

[This message has been edited by EZRIDN (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by EZRIDN (edited 03-10-2001).]
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 01:49 PM   #8
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

Ford, Mazda, Jaguar, Aston
Martin..what's the dif? Still
it was a great car for what
insurance companys just
considered a compact car, but
handled and went like a nice
sports car. But not the later
model ones.

------------------
94 Mustang Cobra: off-road h-pipe, 3:73 gears, motersports underdrive pulleys, MAC cold air induction, MAC 1 1/2 inch lowering springs, K&N Air filter, Maximum Motersports caster/camber plates. steeda tri-ax shifter, Motorsports King Cobra Clutch with Steeda Cable Linkage.(its a gripper!)
94 Thunderbird SC: only mod is a K&N air filter. But she runs very well and hard.
Old 03-10-2001, 04:26 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

EZRIDN, I seem to have sensed a bit of sarcasm in your post. Would you really label the CFI 140hp auto GT's from 85-86 as worth the Mustang GT label? They were a joke, coupled with a slow shifting slushbox called the AOD I doubt they could crack the 15's. I can't believe how many people stepped up to buy the seriously detuned 5.0. I may be mistaken on the later years that the CFI was standard on the 5.0's with the auto, but I know that was how they came for a while. 5spd version GT had between 175hp-210hp, and the auto got the sick *** 140hp CFI motor. That may have changed in 1986, I can't remember, it's possible when they went to SEFI the auto GT got the SEFI HO motor as well, but the CFI motors were stones.

The way this post is going it's like the Gen II Probes were an anti performance car. They will beat a turbo GT hands down. They are faster, they handle better, they look better, basically everything better. Off the floor there was no doubt the 93+ Probe GT's had a serious edge over the 89-92 GT's. Most people do not "mod" their cars and without mods it's like comparing a turbo coupe to a super coupe. If it's Ford's fault for replacing turbocharged 2.2L SOHC I-4 145hp top motor with a 2.5L DOHC 24v V-6 164hp top motor, then so be it. In all reality stock for stock the 3.0L OHV V-6 with 140hp was nearly as quick as the GT in the first gen cars.

WHITECOBRAGIRL94 I'm sure the turbo Probe you had was a fun car to drive, it was not; however, a great car. The Probes are shitboxes waiting for the next electrical gremlin or auto tranny problem. They have one of the worst quality reputations of all Ford's cars, which is more than likely why they lost ground so badly in their final years of production.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:03 AM   #10
inferno
The Instigator

One of the things that doomed the second gen probe was the high cost of maintenance...taking your car to a shop to do even simple things, like change sparkplugs, cost you an arm and a leg in labor. The thing that I find funny is the rumor that the Probe and the Mustang line were going to merge, but seeing the poor sales for the Probe, Ford changed there minds. Both generations had there problems, but I would rather have a first gen because of the cheaper cost, and it has more potential because it is a factory turbo car.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 05:29 PM   #11
Tony Frank
Registered Member

I did have a 93 probe gt modded out, it was way too expensive.... they had a reputation for bad distributers. i sold my probe to get my mustang. i miss the probe, but im happy i got rid of it. it wasnt the fastest thing but i beat v6 camaros and mustangs before. that was pretty much stock. later i added headers, catback, intake, pulleys, head work. it was pretty fast but it was losing oil pressure and i didnt want to pull the motor to get to the pump so i sold it......oh well

------------------
1985 Mustang GT 15,000 original miles, cam, intake, headers, carb, windage tray, you know the goodies
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 09:25 PM   #12
1BadMoFo5.0

I am talking about 93 and newer with mild bolt-on's no nos, turbo, blower, anything like that. I don't know if I can believe them.

------------------
90' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang. 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. Too much to list here so if you want to know ask me.
Old 03-12-2001, 06:20 PM   #13
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Hey Unit-

My '84 LX5.0 w/ CFI ran 15.7@87 with AOD and 2.73s bone stock. (not that it wasn't a POS compared to the later cars, but I just had to correct you since I will always love my first car ;-).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 06:47 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

Okay, so they can crack the 15's, hehe, they are a match for the 305 RS Slowmaros of the time.

Car to car no Probe GT will not hang with much of anything as far as a Mustang V-8 goes. That excludes drivers from the scenerio.

As far as a 300ZX TT, they don't have a prayer if it was the 90 and newer models. Those cars run much like a DOHC Cobra.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:00 AM   #15
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

I'll admit the car was not as
great as my Cobra, not even
close. But for a faily
inexpensive car it was nice
and fun to drive. Oh, I never
drove one with an auto either
so I don't know about how
those are, I don't like
automatics. My dad's were
both sticks. But maybe you
drove a lemon, we never had
any problems out of them. One
got stolen and the other my
mom flipped missing a turkey
in the road. ( which is a
funny story). So they never
broke down.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 12:57 PM   #16
1BadMoFo5.0

WhiteCobraGirl, you didn't happen to see a lot of probes and mx6's about three weeks ago in C-town. They had a meet down there.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 02:30 PM   #17
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

No I don't think so. I agree
with you all on the newer
ones, they suck. We had one
in tennessee one time run a
5.0 off the the road and my
dad went after him to get his
licence plate to report him.
The kid thought he was gonna
get away. And we caught him
withh my dad's 89 626 gt.
Doing about 130 on
interstate. So yes, a newer
one against a stock mustang
of the late 80's early 90's
has no chance of winning.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 06:44 PM   #18
Tony Frank
Registered Member

hey whitecobragirl94, you make it sound like a geo metro could beat a probe. the probe that i had would have a chance aginst a stock gt, i can put money on it. but who cares about probes lets talk about those mustangs........

------------------
1985 Mustang GT 15,000 original miles, cam, intake, headers, carb, windage tray, you know the goodies
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 06:59 PM   #19
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

No, that is not what I am saying at all. I know a 88-90 mx6 gt (the turbo one) can hang with a stock gt.(fox body) OF course that was when I was 18 and playing with the highschool boys. But hey, don't believe me ask my husband, bigwhitecobra. He was there and driving most the time then. I never said it was the fastest, like duh? I said they were pretty nice for stock 4cyl at the time. I also said the newer ones (w/o) turbo) I agreed they had no chance. But hey, gee, what do I know, I only drove two and a 626Gt and raced many stock gt's. But that's just my personal experience.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 09:18 PM   #20
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

OK, you'll have to forgive whitecobragirl, she gets a little flustered every now and then, making her point hard to understand. In high school, and shortly after, we had and raced with a 89 MX6 GT. On countless occasions, we raced Mustang GT's(Fox body's). On many an encounter we would have to goad the 5.0's into racing us. Spinning the tires and such. We would only run for about a 1/8 mile, give or take, and on some occasions, we had a few cops looking at us in disbelief of what we had just done.
I would not say that these cars are the biggest baddest 4 banger on the planet, however, if you are driving a stock Mustang GT, or Cobra for that matter, I would think twice about racing one anywhere except a 1/4 mile track. You can believe it or you can not believe it. Either way, I would suggest that you run one before you make a final decission. Later.

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote