MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Question Question for street racers and fights.

I'm trying to pick between a Mustang Convert and a full Stang. I wanted a convert since I was small and a yellow one at that. I have a chane to get that but it's a small stang and I want to street race because their are plenty of ricers and muscle around here.
It's hard to chose between a dream (that would be brand new) and a used car at the Ford place.

Anyway I wanted to ask the street racers is it better to get the full Stang and not a convert because you are picking fights with other people and they might come and steal/mess with your car.
And I heard/know converts are easy to break into....

#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 07:24 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I own a vert and my opinion is there are more things that can go wrong with a vert.
The verts are slower cause they are heavier.
The verts lack structural integrety cause of the convertible top. If the vert that you are wanting is an auto than it would take a butt load of cash to make it as fast a a 5 speed hard top. I say go with the full body stang especialy if you are gonna street race.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
best 60 ft 2.14, best 1/8th 9.65, best 1/4 15.2 @89mph, Stock gears and 3000+ Altitude
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:26 AM   #3
#1 Pony
Registered Member

That's what I thought. I'm not sure if it's an auto or not... it might be manual.

What things might go wrong with a convert?
I need to know.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:08 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Ok I will run down a list for you.

1.The verts rattle like no other, but you can solve that with subframe connectors.

2.You might have problems with the hydraulics or the electric motor on the top and all of the road noise that you will here with a vert might annoy you especially if you have a plastic back window.

3.convertible tops are very hard to keep clean especialy if you live in a dusty climate like i do.

4.If anyone does not like you it is really easy to walk up and slash the top open the doors and vandalize your car, although I guess that it is equally esy to mess up a hard top.

Ther are a few pluses to owning a vert

1. They are cool in the summer time its always fun to drop the top and go cruising.
2.Chicks dig verts.

If I had it to do all over again I would have went with a hardtop.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
best 60 ft 2.14, best 1/8th 9.65, best 1/4 15.2 @89mph, Stock gears and 3000+ Altitude
Old 07-05-2001, 12:28 PM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Cool

FWIW, I've never had a prob the the hydraulics on my convert.. I've had it since '87..... they are heavier... if you go faster than 13.99 at the track you need a roll bar.. * they havet said anything to me.. YET*
the interior gets hot/cold QUICk when it's left outside too... but I'll keep mine.. gotta live cruising with the top down ;-)

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives BBK shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
13.85@102.5
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 03:23 PM   #6
95ragtop
Registered Member

It is all a matter of priorities. I never had problems with the top. Rattles and Cowl shake on SN95s(94&up) is virtually non-existent. The convertibles are noticable slower, and if you street race and roll it....OUCH!!! RIP.

As far vandalism, if someone is going to vandalize your car, it really doesn't matter whether it is a hard top or convert, they still will find a way to thrash it and cost you a lot of money.

I hope this helps.

Dave
95ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:00 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

There is nothing like wasting a late model, hardtop Camaro with the top down. You're not only faster, but you're cooler looking doing it. A 351 will more than compensate for the weight difference.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:24 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg:
There is nothing like wasting a late model, hardtop Camaro with the top down. You're not only faster, but you're cooler looking doing it. A 351 will more than compensate for the weight difference.

"True"

------------------
Old 07-08-2001, 09:26 PM   #9
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Cool

For all out balls to the walls speed, 5 speed hard top. But for the other 95% of your time theres nothing on earth like a ragtop. Way I figure it even if I get wasted at a race I still look way cooler then the other guy, and the best feeling in the world is when your buddy tells you how surprised he is that your Mach 460 sounds so clear at 100 mph with the top down!

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires.
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 02:13 PM   #10
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Question

What about weight reduction? That can never be done on a convert?
Old 07-10-2001, 09:51 PM   #11
NateDogg
Registered Member

Wink

Verts are slow
NateDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:50 PM   #12
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Verts are slow
Really?

------------------
Old 07-11-2001, 12:38 AM   #13
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Verts are okay, until you get two or more guys in the same car, then IMO it makes the guys look like a gay couple/group. Just my OPINION, not a flame to anyone in here with a vert and Im just saying what it LOOKS like NOT what it IS.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 12:47 PM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

It's bad enough for an F-Body owner to lose to a heavy convertible Mustang, but one that's driven by a couple of gay guys must really be humiliating.

Maybe that's why all the chicks tried to converse with us when we were out in the convertible in my youth. They were looking for platonic homosexual companions with which they can go shopping. Darn. I always thought it was because we looked cool.

------------------
Old 07-12-2001, 04:20 AM   #15
AmandaPanda
Registered Member

Exclamation

Would like to voice the female opinion on this matter! A guy in a "vert" is hot and I don't think it LOOKS "gay" when he is cruising with his buds either. I think men who look "gay" look gay in a Ford taurus or a drop top mustang. Oh well there is my two cents
AmandaPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 04:24 AM   #16
AmandaPanda
Registered Member

Exclamation

Would like to voice the female opinion on this matter! A guy in a "vert" is hot and I don't think it LOOKS "gay" when he is cruising with his buds either. I think men who look "gay" look gay in a Ford taurus or a drop top mustang. Oh well there is my two cents
AmandaPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 09:35 AM   #17
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

AmandaPanda, you said a guy in a vert is hot, and a guy in a taurus or a drop top is gay. would you mind explaining the difference in vert and drop top for me?

------------------
89 GT, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, custom interior, cobra R rims
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 11:09 AM   #18
jimberg
Registered Member

I can answer this one for you. She's saying that if you look gay, you look gay no matter what you drive. It's not about the car.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:25 PM   #19
bada$$lx

Cool

Gay is gay. I didn't realize that I stumbled across gaydebate.com !

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-12-2001, 04:14 PM   #20
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Yeah this topic became flameinggaydebate.com

I just asked about haveing a convertilbe and street racing.
The car is supposed to be
Crome yellow, black drop top w/ tan interior.
It MIGHT be a V6 or a GT,
that has not been set yet (I PRAY GT). I have 3-4 months untill I get it. It will be in Oct. sometime.
I can't wait!!! I'm so ready to get my dream car... I'm going to be sreaming when I get in it with the top down doing 80 on the freeway!!!!