MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need info on a ricers car (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=35491)

Stang_Crazy 04-10-2003 09:06 PM

Need info on a ricers car

Hey all. I work with a kid who thinks his car is just the greatest thing since sliced bread. But here's the kicker...

His car is a 91 Eagle Talon. Not a TSI but the regular non-turbo version. The car has 140k miles on it and is completely stock. Well, he put the customary HUGE muffler on it along with the GIANT APC sticker across the back window. The car is a manual transmission as well.

I've seen him drive it and it doesn't seem quick. It doesn't even seem 'peppy'. He keeps wanting to race me to see what my car can do. When we race, I want to play with him a little bit by not going WOT but I don't know how much room I have to 'play". Any suggestions as to what kind of power his car has and what 1/4 times it can run?

84LX89GT 04-10-2003 10:52 PM

Don't even worry about it....that's probably like a 16 second car. Demolish him severely, slow down and when he tries to pass, demolish him again. That way you're toying with him, but you also beat him into submission at the same time :p

Ackbar00 04-11-2003 11:44 AM

I think they are 140Hp. But dont quote me on that. Tell him I will race him in my SHO. After all, its just a Tauraus.......

Dark_5.0 04-11-2003 01:36 PM

He has a mid 16 second car. Give him a 3 car jump. You could hit 100mph and stop before he would pass you.

They are turds unless they are the AWD turbo version.

Stang_Crazy 04-11-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dark_5.0
He has a mid 16 second car.
I told him I'd be surprised if he could run sub 16 seconds and he didn't exactly share the same view. I don't even know if it's worth the gas to race him. I might just take him for a ride in my car. Hopefully he'll get the picture :cool:

Ackbar00 04-11-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
I don't even know if it's worth the gas to race him. I might just take him for a ride in my car.
Its always worth the gas:D

Special K 04-11-2003 06:04 PM

No... its not worth you gas.

It's VERY slow.

blue00gt 04-11-2003 06:26 PM

If you do take him for a ride you better tell him to brace his neck because I would bet he's never felt real torque if he thinks his car is fast. Let's see... RWD V8, blower, 4.10s, drag radials vs. FWD anemic I4... He must be delusional if he wants to try racing.

inferno 04-11-2003 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blue00gt
If you do take him for a ride you better tell him to brace his neck because I would bet he's never felt real torque if he thinks his car is fast. Let's see... RWD V8, blower, 4.10s, drag radials vs. FWD anemic I4... He must be delusional if he wants to try racing.
He is either delusional or lying about what his car is and trying to take advantage of your lack of knowledge about imports. I'm thinking he is delusional, but you can never be too careful...check out the car if you can.

GodStang 04-11-2003 09:43 PM

i may me totally wrong on this but are they not the same as the eclipse? If so I raced a Turbo eclipse at the track in my v6 aand I cut his but till half way when his turbo kicked in and he beat me. He ran high 16's with the turbo. If it is not the same car than I just gave yall all a nice pointless story. And we may all be alittle dumber for hearing it.

inferno 04-12-2003 04:07 AM

A turbo eclipse running a high 16?? You must be at a really high altitude and it must have been a hot day.

superwillard 04-12-2003 06:59 AM

The non turbo car only has 140 hp. I had a turbo talon for awhile the best time I ran was 14.4 but that can was rated a 210 hp so if he is telling the truth you will have no problem.

GodStang 04-12-2003 07:34 AM

High Alt. no. This is south carolina. It was raining pretty good.

Skyman 04-12-2003 01:49 PM

Raining at the track?

Stang_Crazy 04-12-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GodStang
i may me totally wrong on this but are they not the same as the eclipse?
Yes. The Talon looks like the old Eclipse's did (early 90's). I believe the Plymouth Laser also shares the same body lines.

I've seen his car. Inside and out. All he has is that stupid muffler. The engine is so filthy and nasty. It's not like he takes care of it at all. It's basically a beater that he put a muffler on.

He also keeps talking about this lady that has an Eclipse. The new style. He said she put $50k into it :p And that it has "nawwws". I told I wanted to meet the lady and check the car out since it seems so great :rolleyes: and he said he'll check with her. It's supposed to run in the 12's so that might be a better matchup for me instead of his little POS Talon.

Dan

red82gt 04-12-2003 07:58 PM

Again Godstang, raining at the track? Or have you never been to the track? 1 raindrop usually puts the show on hold everywhere that I've raced or have even seen on TV.

GodStang 04-13-2003 10:01 AM

Ya it was at Jackson Dragway here in Jackson SC. Once it started raining they would like let one set of cars go and than stop everyone else till the rain stopped and they would come out "Dry" the track and began to race again. It would ran 20 min later and we would go through the whole thing again.

Not sure how good of a driver he was. He was just the closest to being as slow as I am so I raced him. I was there with a 98 Cobra vert and a 2000 Vette and his Eclippse Turbo

GoPed2009 04-15-2003 12:06 PM

that talon is a mid 16 second car, maybe a lil quicker. I just asked someone that is a dsm freak and that what he said.

blue00gt 04-15-2003 01:54 PM

Those newer V6 Eclipses are very slow stock - the ones I've raced seem to run 15s. Without a power adder I don't think that woman's car could run in the 12s. My buddy smoked one in his '89 GT 'vert with 140k miles and nothing but underdrives.

Stang_Crazy 04-15-2003 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blue00gt
Without a power adder I don't think that woman's car could run in the 12s.
It's funny because she said she runs it at the track I go to...But she never seems to be there when I am :rolleyes: The fastest Eclipse that I've seen at the track was a gutted GS-T that ran a 12.98. If she was going to the track and running 12's I would have remembered the car.