MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2002, 09:58 AM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Default CRX gets surprised??

Just happend across this totally riced out CRX yesterday. The guy had the Black spray paint look going with the clear tail lights, fart can and of course the interior was painted yellow .

We throw each other a couple revs and then we got lined up at a light. I thought these young punks would be typical ricers, but the guy in the passenger seat started talking to me. He asked if I had a 5.0 or a 4.6. When I told him it was a 5.0 he gave the thumbs up and we got ready to race . I noticed that this guys car was like totally gutted. There were like 2 seats and a stereo deck and that was it!

I've heard these CRX's can be pretty quick because they are light, and either there is not much to the interior of those things or he lightened his load so I thought it might be a good little race.

Boy was I wrong! When the light went green I killed him off the light and pulled close to 10 cars to 90 mph. I shut down and as he caught up he had the most surprised look on his face, he then gave me the thumbs up and we went our separate ways.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 11:49 AM   #2
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

My brother had a beater 86 for a daily driver. Raced him in my wifes 98 civic DX (only 106 HP). We were dead even. Just to compare I took the Civic to the track ( I was sick or stoned)It went a 17.37...... Only made one pass for reasons i dont think i need to get into. Granted i saw CRX gutted and had a turbo and it went like low 14's at close to 100. You shold have told him it was a 4.6 and a auto to to have supprised him even more

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #3
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Surprised? Why would he be surprised. LOL These ricers crack me up sometimes.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:56 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: CRX gets surprised??

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
Just happend across this totally riced out CRX yesterday. The guy had the Black spray paint look going with the clear tail lights, fart can and of course the interior was painted yellow .

We throw each other a couple revs and then we got lined up at a light. I thought these young punks would be typical ricers, but the guy in the passenger seat started talking to me. He asked if I had a 5.0 or a 4.6. When I told him it was a 5.0 he gave the thumbs up and we got ready to race . I noticed that this guys car was like totally gutted. There were like 2 seats and a stereo deck and that was it!

I've heard these CRX's can be pretty quick because they are light, and either there is not much to the interior of those things or he lightened his load so I thought it might be a good little race.

Boy was I wrong! When the light went green I killed him off the light and pulled close to 10 cars to 90 mph. I shut down and as he caught up he had the most surprised look on his face, he then gave me the thumbs up and we went our separate ways.
This guy was obviously surprised because you only beat him by 10 cars.

Good kill!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:16 PM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
I noticed that this guys car was like totally gutted. There were like 2 seats and a stereo deck and that was it!
LMFAO!!! They come stock with only two seats.....and you pretty much described the stock interior of a CRX from the factory. My girlfriend has a pretty cool one, with some mod's, I'd give it a 17 in the 1/4. It's a fun lil car to drive. One was revving at me at a light (I was in the SS) ....So I let him have it, and put about 20-30 real car lengths on him.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
50DAVIDLX

At least he was cool about it, and didnt give you the other finger up.

My friend has a 89 CRX and he has all these plans for it that my friends and i keep hearing about. like how its going to be a 12sec CRX. He got his own whole sales licence, but the car has been broken into once and stolen right infront of his house like a week later. so he bought the car back for $300. after they found it. but there was onley about $500 dollers of damage, so he made some maney off that. of couse i get a bunch of sh** from him about how his car is going to own mine once he gets his GSR engine.

Old 03-11-2002, 10:39 AM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I've heard lots of stories about how fast the CRX is. I don't like to get too cocky, I'm not exactly in a really fast car. But this guy did go down hard.

But the important thing was that the guy was cool. Nothing pisses me off more than when ricers pull the "rice attitide"

Old 03-12-2002, 01:23 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

My girlfiend has a 91 crx as well 96 V-tech head , exhaust , header , cold air intake and I have a turbo an intercooler and a turbo manifold sitting in the floor.

Probably will run mid 14's.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:59 PM   #9
UK_Stang
Registered Member

CRX's are only quick if you rev the hoo-har out of them, you can't beat the low down grunt of a 5.0!

I haven't come across this "ricer attitude" this side of the pond, is it a real problem over there?? We just have muppets in Vauxhall Novas and the like who think a loud exhaust and a K&N makes them a Ferrari eater!!!
UK_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 07:02 PM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UK_Stang
CRX's are only quick if you rev the hoo-har out of them, you can't beat the low down grunt of a 5.0!

I haven't come across this "ricer attitude" this side of the pond, is it a real problem over there?? We just have muppets in Vauxhall Novas and the like who think a loud exhaust and a K&N makes them a Ferrari eater!!!
Yes it is really bad. Some of the stuff these guys do drives me nuts!!

Old 03-12-2002, 07:18 PM   #11
Severisth
Registered Member

UK_Stang, check out http://www.beaterz.com to get a glimpse of some of the stuff we have to deal with. For whatever reason, these cars are the fad right now.
Severisth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:56 AM   #12
UK_Stang
Registered Member

Its a good thing, this internet, it gives us a chance to see/laugh at what is going on in the "rice" world!

Check these UK sites out for a giggle....

http://www.benshore.co.uk

http://www.cruiseeast.co.uk/ check out the feature cars on this one, had me in stitches!!!

Skip
UK_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 09:13 AM   #13
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

That is so helarious. One of the cars on their had 70 hp. He actually said that the 0-60 was 13.5 seconds. Why would you tell anyone that. I would be so embaroused.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:02 PM   #14
R-MODEL
Registered Member

Its a typical ricer response to their lack of horsepower, they don't seem to realize that they have only half a motor!
1994 Mustang GT with 110K miles, ported cobra intake, ported edlebrock heads, 1 3/4" long tube, b303 cam, 2 chamber flowmasters, cobra-r wheels, cobra front brake kit, saleen wing, recaro seats, radar detector, etc.
R-MODEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:04 PM   #15
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

You know what they always say- "There's no replacement for displacement except technology" Thats a conversation stopper for me.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:13 PM   #16
Severisth
Registered Member

Red face

"There's no replacement for displacement except technology"

The problem with this ingorant theory is that the technology can be applied to larger motors too! Take any technologically advanced motor, increase it's displacement, and what do you have? More power.

'Nuff said.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:42 PM   #17
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

You're exactly right. But there is another part of their ignorance also. If you ask them "What technology is this that you speak of?" They will probably tell you "Like Turbos and Naws and stuff"

And I always stop and think, wait a second, turbo charges do not increase displacement? Theoretical displacement is a pretty simple calculation. In fact heres one for you. I 2.0 liter is 122 cubes. Add 10 lbs of boost and you got a theortical displacement of 205 cubes.

Now take a 460, stroke it to 520 cubes and then run that same 10lbs of boost, and you've got a theoretical displacement of 874 cubes. "There's no replacement for displacement except technology" I disagree.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:27 PM   #18
Severisth
Registered Member

Can you elaborate on your calculations used to determine theoretical displacement? I assume you are comparing the amount of air at 1 ATM multiplying by the percent difference in psi...
Old 03-13-2002, 04:28 PM   #19
Severisth
Registered Member

btw,
I bet this is the reason mkiv.com pulled their "no replacement for displacement except technology" quote.

It's way off.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:35 PM   #20
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Severisth
"There's no replacement for displacement except technology"

The problem with this ingorant theory is that the technology can be applied to larger motors too! Take any technologically advanced motor, increase it's displacement, and what do you have? More power.

'Nuff said.
EXACTLY!!

And when ever you say this to these guys they are like "uh....ya....well..."

Ricers drive me ******* nuts!