MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2001, 07:12 PM   #1
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Unhappy Long day! (long post)

Today was one of those days that in theory sound real good but never works out! I'm running around at the last minute to get things done on my car for Orlando NMRA and Bradenton FFW. Granted I don't have a Outlaw or Renegade car but to be legal to run 12's on slicks you need certain things.

Anyway I'm down to two last things, finishing up the wiring on my battery cutoff switch and putting in longer studs in the axles. Looking at the axles with the exciter rings for the ABS I realize I can't change the studs myself so I call a local shop. They are swamped but can do it if I pull the axles myself.

Just for background I'm not shy about tearing things apart on my car but I've never touched a 8.8. So after a little instruction I pull the back end apart (brakes, axles) in about 45 minutes. It was pretty easy. Now I work 8-5 M-F and the shop doesn't open till 9 so I tell work I'll be coming in a little late. I figure about 1 1/2 hours to put it back together and an hour or two to have the studs put in I should be at work by no later than 1pm.

I get to the shop and there are tons of cars they are working on. Both the main guys working there are stressed and here I am brining in more for them. About 3 1/2 hours later they got to them and I was out of there. I get back to my place and begin the re-install.

Problem 1: After the axles are back in C clips in place the spider gears don't line up with the holes in the differential for the retaining pin. I play with it for 30 minutes call a buddy and figure out.

Problem 2: Never have worked on rear disk brakes I couldn't figure out how to push the piston in on the caliper. Again 30 minutes later and reading the haynes manual I figured it out. I really needed a special tool but just improvised.

Problem 3: Two of the studs (one on each wheel of course) were not perfectly straight so I had to move the wheel around alot to get all the lug nuts on correctly. Hopefully after I torque them down they will striaghten.

By the time this was all done it was 4pm.

Problem 4: Being that I missed a meeting at 3pm I figured I should make an appearance at work for a couple hours so I drove in and my ABS light is coming on every so often after I hit the brakes. It feels like the rear caliper is re-adjusting and setting off the light but not sure. So now I have something else to look at when I get home later on.

Sorry for the long post but after my day I just needed to vent somewhere...ahhh now I feel better.

Good thing is I learned something new, got my studs in so I'm legal and also installed a rear end girdle which by the way looks sweet! Oh well it's all in the name of racing I guess, Orlando here I come!

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys, Steeda Timing Adjuster, FMS 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR subframes, UPR LCA’s, Air Filter, Lakewood 70/30 & 50/50, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s, 253.8RWHP/292.8RWTQ
Best on DR's 13.09@103.92 (1.81 60ft)
Best on ET Drags 12.99@104.60 (1.67 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool…

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote