MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2001, 01:36 AM   #1
BennyBoy

Cool New to him '92 RS(long).

I have a friend that is 16 but has gone through 3 cars already. An 85 Z28, 305 to 350...a 85 Dodge Custom pickup, 318 from a Duster, cammed, 3.55s...and now a really nice looking '92 RS with a little 305.

Well, since he has had his car he's kinda been anxious to race me. I never raced his first Camaro, I smoked his truck that he thought was hot sh!t, so he was thinking he could get me in his RS.

Well, we headed out to the country. I had my girlfriend with me and he had one of our friends (guy). We lined up and I power stalled up to 1500 (I need to go higher), and my girlfriend yelled for us to go when we were both ready. I jumped him right off the line, even with my slap happy 3:1 open. Traction for the first 60 feet sucked actually, they screeched a little off the line, then at about 3000 they just let go. But after that I pulled HARD. I went clear up to 120 since I haven't for so long, and to just kinda rub it in his face. Turned on the hazards and took it 85 the way back in.

That was long. Sorry, guys. They always end up like long like this. Maybe I should be a writer...

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W
=========================
Edelbrock Performer-RPM intake manifold, Edelbrock Performer-RPM cam, Edelbrock lifters, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Accel coil, Moroso Blue-Max spark plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, Edelbrock double roller timing chain, Edelbrock valve springs, Flex fan, C4, Lakewood traction bars, 3:1 open rear-9" 3.89:1 posi coming this summer
Old 01-18-2001, 02:39 AM   #2
StreetStang37
Registered Member

So, how much did you beat him by? I have this one fag around here who has a RS six banger. Not that thats a problem. The problem is because its a stick, he is always skirting out, driving fast pretending to have a V8. I wonder why he even does that. The car looks good and all (stock, clean), but in my eyes he just emberrasses himself.
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 09:33 AM   #3
88GT5.013.02

My friend's mom used to own a pizzeria. Well this young kid worked there and he had a 305 RS. One night he was messing around, he got beat by a sunfire with a V-6 Manual 5. True story, I was hanging at the pizzeria when my friend told me about it and I brought it up and the kid wouldn't even talk to me he was so mad.
Old 01-18-2001, 11:13 PM   #4
White5.0
Registered Member

my friend had one of those 305 RS's, it was absolutely pathetic, it was rated at 170hp and it was a 5spd.i beat him in my old 94 eclipse 4cylinder, the slowest eclipse made, i think it was rated at 92hp, we raced from a light i only beat him by a car lenght but thats not bad for a little wimpy jap car!!
White5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 11:20 PM   #5
BennyBoy

Cool

I didn't actually turn all the way around to see how far back he was. I did look in my mirror when I got off it and turned on my flashers. His car was kinda small in the mirror...hahaha....Nah, I dunno how much. Pry 5 or 6 back. It wasn't even close....before i shifted out of first I had about 2 on him. That car was hella slow. Because my car runs good, but it's not FAAAAAST...

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W
Edelbrock Performer-RPM intake manifold, Edelbrock Performer-RPM cam, Edelbrock lifters, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Accel coil, Moroso Blue-Max spark plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, Edelbrock double roller timing chain, Edelbrock valve springs, Flex fan, C4, Lakewood traction bars, 3:1 open rear-9" 3.89:1 posi coming this summer
Old 01-19-2001, 07:09 PM   #6
quick89gt
Registered Member

I used to have a '91 RS with a 305 in it, and flowmaster exhaust. it was a slick lookin' little car, had some power, but nothing compared to what my stang has. even when my stang was stock, the cars were like night and day. they are slick cars with power, just not race cars.

BLUE OVAL POWER, BABY!!!!!!!

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Bored .030 Over, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Keith Black hyp. flat top Pistons, Screamin' Deamon Coil, Champion Plugs, March Underdrive Pulleys, 255lph Fuel Pump, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 10:07 AM   #7
LS1JAY
Registered Member

Cool

The 5.0 TB is a slug basicaly, I had one it was a automatic rated a 170HP "on a good day" I did manage to get a 9.8 in the 1/8 mile out of it with a chip, cat removed and a flowmaster muffler, on a cold night!!!!

------------------
98'Trans Am LS1 273 gears Whisper lid,K&N,Whisper MAF ends,Flowmaster,Best ET on street tires 13.17 @ 106.49mph
LS1JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 12:40 PM   #8
LincoConti87
Registered Member

They not too bad. My cousin had a 92 RS and he let me drive it. At the time the fastest thing I'd been in was my mom's 88 deville so it seemed to have good power. But I think i can stay next to one if not win by a little with my 160 horsepower 3000 lb mercedes 190 with like this nutty 4.25 granny first gear that won't stay in past 15 mph. At a roll i know i could take one with my horses peakin out at 4-5k. Every time I see one I wish it would mess with me

------------------
Rob meister
89 Mercedes 190E 2.6
87 Lincoln Continental
Ex 86 Mercury Cougar
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 09:22 PM   #9
BennyBoy

Cool

Get this--I was talking to this same kid today in one of my classes, and he said he wanted to race me again. He said that he was cleaning out his throttle body last night and he said that there is 4 barrels and only 2 of the wires out of the 4 were connected. And he says he has "like 200 pounds" of speaker boxes and amps in his hatch. Yeah... 200.... Riiiiiiiight.....whatever. I'll race him in a heartbeat. It's always nice to get a run, even when I know I'll get an easy win. But hey, it's a bowtie and that makes it even sweeter.

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W
Old 01-23-2001, 10:23 PM   #10
my name is mud
Registered Member

Talking

Show him again, it sounds like fun, keep us posted. A friend of mine has a 91(?)RS, 305/5 speed, after reading this and the other camaro post I wanna get him to race. If the RS's are even slower then 305 Z28's and Irocs I will walk him like modified Buicks walk me.

------------------
88 mustang lx ragtop pulley's and a k+n
14.8 at 93mph
just got some 3.73's and a new clutch,
but haven't been back yet
my name is mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:06 PM   #11
StreetStang37
Registered Member

The 305 Z's had like 190 or 215HP. Not too sure. I think the older ones had 190

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air, K & N filter charger, Pullies, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. mendrel bent cat back, High Flow H-Pipe, Pro 5.0 Power Tower
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 02:01 PM   #12
KillaZ350
Registered Member

Common guys, leave those 305 RSs alone, their even slower then the 305 Z28s, go find an L98(Z28 350) to play with ...

------------------
1991 Z28 Camaro L98
5.7L T.P.I
Blk ext/grey lthr int

http://josh.swoca.net/board/kamaro/

KillaZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 02:21 PM   #13
1989GT
Registered Member

Yeah I raced an early 90's RS the other day. He was beep the horn and sh!t at me when we got stopped. He said nice car you don't have a 302 in there do ya. I said yeah .030 over. So it's a 306. He said it sounds nice. Must be that lopey idle. Anyway the lights about to go green and he takes off. Before our light was green as soon as the crossing street's light was red he was gone. So when it turned green I was gone. The guy had a solid 5-6 car lead. I caught him in 1st. Hit second....see ya. I passed him like he was sitting still. But he was cool he waved as he went by.

------------------
89GT,T-5Z, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...and the list goes on!
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
PVT Blankenship leaving for BCT 14MAR01
MOS 67 Romeo

1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 11:16 PM   #14
White5.0
Registered Member

Question

where does your friend with the RS live?
Old 01-26-2001, 11:32 AM   #15
BennyBoy

Lightbulb

He lives south of town...about 10 minutes out. We raced west of town on this road that's about 2 miles long and perfectly straight, little or no traffic. It's a great place to run.

Why do you ask anyway? I'm just curious--no big deal. See ya later.

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W
Old 01-26-2001, 02:39 PM   #16
White5.0
Registered Member

do you live in australia or the USA?
Old 01-27-2001, 11:19 AM   #17
BennyBoy

The USA! It says it there by my member name, Sidney, NE, USA....good old rural Nebraska. Southern part of the panhandle. YEE HAW! Just playin. I've never lived on a farm in my life. But there are quite a few around here.

I got another race last night. I don't know what's going on. They come in bunches. It was a 70's Trans Am. I have no clue what year. It has a 400 small block, and he said it has "just some Edelbrock stuff". Well, the first race I did terrible, but the people standing at the finish line said I got him by about a half car, little less--very close! The second race was great, except I had a ton of wheel spin, but I got him by a litte over 2 carlengths! I will make a better post with some more details when I have time. I just couldn't wait.

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W